On the absurdity of relative values.

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

On the absurdity of relative values.

#1  Postby jamest » Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Have you seen this other thread, posted in my beloved philosophy forum? ...

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... 55498.html

... Essentially about whether dogs are more important than art/culture. Started 3 days ago, the poll is currently 15 to 7 in favour of (saving) the unknown dog (instead) of the well-known art/culture.

That worries me somewhat as what those 15 bozos don't understand is that the dog in itself IS a cultural icon. Do these people think that they get to decide for themselves what's worthy of being a loved pet, compared to all other animals, or do they have the brains to realise that they were brought up in a society which made these decisions for them centuries ago?

We (also) brainwash our own kids with the pets we have and the cuddly toys we buy them, before they are even old enough to think about it. It's really no coincidence then, that the bozos who would probably save the dog unless the aforementioned thread was about any other animal that wasn't cute or that we ate, might have voted as they did.


I'm not going to vote/partcipate in that other thread as it's an affront to the standards demanding of intelligent/rational thought (philosophy), but at least I've got something out of watching that car crash, which is that relative values of any kind are grotesque.

Seek ye therefore absolute values, or nothing.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18101
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 29, 2018 1:41 am

james wrote:
Have you seen this other thread posted in my beloved philosophy forum

Yes I have seen that other thread posted in YOUR beloved philosophy forum

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 29, 2018 2:53 am

Right, so you started a separate thread to comment on a thread, saying something that was already pointed out in the thread multiple times, because the concept of the thread is an affront to philosophy...but you still had to say something about it anyway without actually offering any absolute values that you claim are needed. Totally makes sense.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13685
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#4  Postby Hermit » Sep 29, 2018 3:23 am

jamest wrote:Do these people think that they get to decide for themselves what's worthy of being a loved pet, compared to all other animals, or do they have the brains to realise that they were brought up in a society which made these decisions for them centuries ago?

There'd probably be some in each camp, but the poll does not ask about that. Maybe you could create a poll.

Who decides what's worthy of being a loved pet, compared to all other animals?
    You yourself
    Society
    Badgers

You could follow that poll up with another one.

What are values?

    Absolute
    Nothing
    Frozen Badgers
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3011
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#5  Postby laklak » Sep 29, 2018 4:21 am

I absolutely like dogs. As a species, certainly, and I can't really think of an individual dog I didn't like. Been scared of a couple, but I still liked them. Don't really care why I like them, I just do. I am slightly suspicious of people who don't like dogs, and I am very suspicious of people my dogs don't like. Real red flag, IMO. Probably is a cultural thing, or I'd be eating a nice dog noodle stir fry with some rice wine. Then again, pretty much all of me is a cultural artifact of some sort or another. I'm good with that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19872
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#6  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 29, 2018 4:37 am


I do not really like dogs

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 29, 2018 5:03 am

Some of my relatives certainly have some absurd values. Badoomtish.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 8849
Age: 38
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#8  Postby Blackadder » Oct 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Relative values are all around us. Ask Einstein.

Oh, no you can't because his life value is currently set to zero.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3680
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#9  Postby GrahamH » Oct 01, 2018 5:06 pm

jamest wrote:
That worries me somewhat as what those 15 bozos don't understand is that the dog in itself IS a cultural icon. Do these people think that they get to decide for themselves what's worthy of being a loved pet, compared to all other animals, or do they have the brains to realise that they were brought up in a society which made these decisions for them centuries ago?


Is that yet another example of how your philosophy leads to universal peace and love regarding sentient creatures as empty puppets that can be burned alive without a qualm?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 20288

Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#10  Postby Alan B » Oct 08, 2018 12:19 pm

jamest wrote:I'm not going to vote/partcipate in that other thread as it's an affront to the standards demanding of intelligent/rational thought (philosophy), but at least I've got something out of watching that car crash, which is that relative values of any kind are grotesque.


An 'affront' to philosophy?

What if the 'affront' was philosophical?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9719
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: On the absurdity of relative values.

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

But wait, there's more!

scherado wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
scherado wrote:
Blackadder wrote:...
But I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, so I look for encouraging signs.

Have you ever wondered about the possibility of having a half full/empty glass?

I'll give you a chance to reply before I tell you what I mean. I don't mean the statistical probability, I mean the actuality of filling a glass up to half full/empty.

Give it your best shot. I'll wait.


If I want cryptic puzzles, I do the Times crossword. Make your point or pick a window and jump. I'll wait.

Nevertheless, this will be moved to the proper section, as anything resembling debate is not appropriate for a welcome section.

I don't know whether you can understand the question as I don't know anything about your ... how should I put it, sagacity.

I will post the link to the thread in the appropriate section.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Germaine D. Scutcheon
Posts: 28856
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post


Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest