Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

Discuss

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#101  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 12:01 am

jamest wrote:I do not profess to have no ego, but I'm trying my best to suppress it, for obvious reasons.


Seriously?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#102  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 12:01 am

Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote: Well I was responding to your comment where you were saying basically the same thing except that you limited it to places where they are expressly prohibited. I'm just saying there are other reasons than the limited few you suggested to be annoyed with them. Nothing more.

Well I was responding to your comment, taking on what I considered to be the next logical step from what you said. Nothing more.

purplerat wrote: No need to project onto me.


I hadn't projected anything onto you, given I attributed no emotions/behaviours/motives to you.

I don't see what the "next logical step" would be. A device which simultaneously requires people to be more aware of their surrounding yet by its nature makes people less attentive being found annoying when used in public places doesn't require a "next logic step". That you decided it did is you projecting.
User avatar
purplerat
 
Posts: 12941
Male

Country: Only in America
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#103  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 12:07 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:I do not profess to have no ego, but I'm trying my best to suppress it, for obvious reasons.


Seriously?

Yes. I'm aware of my flaws. I know I can be a dick.

I'm serious about my philosophy, but when that philosophy only occurs to you in middle-age, and you have no help, it's difficult. Really difficult.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#104  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 12:26 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:I do not profess to have no ego, but I'm trying my best to suppress it, for obvious reasons.


Seriously?

Yes. I'm aware of my flaws. I know I can be a dick.


I'm not calling you a dick.

I'm just genuinely amazed that you think you're doing everything you could to suppress your ego, it is wholly incompatible with your posting habits.

Let me give you an example: Compare yourself to an average forum poster here, or even to a sub-average poster like me (and to clarify - I'm not ego free, and I'm not trying) who talks about their education more? How intelligent they are? How intelligent they think their interlocutors are? How good their reasoning skills are? How they compare to historical figures recognised for their incredible ability or genius?

All of those are clear signs of not only having an ego, but imposing it into their ordinary conversations.

See what I'm getting at?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#105  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 1:04 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:I do not profess to have no ego, but I'm trying my best to suppress it, for obvious reasons.


Seriously?

Yes. I'm aware of my flaws. I know I can be a dick.


I'm not calling you a dick.

I'm just genuinely amazed that you think you're doing everything you could to suppress your ego, it is wholly incompatible with your posting habits.

"Everything"? I never said that. Indeed, I've just stated that I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing, since the difference between being a philosopher and being a spiritual person (based upon that philosophy) is immense. One doesn't just change automatically upon a realisation of a truth. Old habits/attitudes are deep-rooted. And when you're alone, as I am (since it's
my philosophy), devoid of help, then reconciling one's behaviour with one's beliefs is a long hard road.

Let me give you an example: Compare yourself to an average forum poster here, or even to a sub-average poster like me (and to clarify - I'm not ego free, and I'm not trying) who talks about their education more? How intelligent they are? How intelligent they think their interlocutors are? How good their reasoning skills are? How they compare to historical figures recognised for their incredible ability or genius?

The fact that I have a degree was mined out of me by people refusing to take me seriously, taking the piss. You see, people in forums such as this have been taking the piss out of me for close to two decades. Indeed, it took me a long time to just be explicit about the fact that I have a 1st Open Degree from the OU, based upon philosophy/psychology/sociology. I've received a lot of shit about my lack of education, though was reluctant to talk about it for quite a while after I acquired said reward. I only did so, eventually, to put the record straight with a view to appeasing such people. The fact is that I am not exceptionally learned, but I am capable of being so. The good thing about studying philosophy at university level, for me, was to realise just how shite current materialism/physicalism is. Other than that, I don't give two shits about my degree. Really, honestly, I haven't impressed myself by acquiring one. Numerous people have done the same thing, even you I suspect. Even if you haven't, I still acknowledge your intelligence.

All of those are clear signs of not only having an ego, but imposing it into their ordinary conversations.

I do (still) have an ego. I've just explicitly stated that in an earlier post. Therefore, don't be surprised to find signs of it. I'm not presenting myself here as the 'next Christ'. Never have, never will.

See what I'm getting at?

You appear to be getting at the fact that I'm not perfect. I agree. Which means what, exactly? That I should stfu and put up with utter crap?
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#106  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 1:21 am

jamest wrote:"Everything"? I never said that.


Is starting your post with a semantic quibble which makes no difference wise? The phrases "I'm doing everything I can" and "I'm doing the best I can" are not distinct. You can't do one without doing the other.

jamest wrote:Indeed, I've just stated that I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing, since the difference between being a philosopher and being a spiritual person (based upon that philosophy) is immense.


Maybe, but I think you were talking about not having an ego as well. And that just involves not being obsessed with how clever you are, about what others think about you, about putting other people down, about putting yourself up, about petty squabbles and so on.

jamest wrote: One doesn't just change automatically upon a realisation of a truth. Old habits/attitudes are deep-rooted. And when you're alone, as I am (since it'smy philosophy), devoid of help, then reconciling one's behaviour with one's beliefs is a long hard road.


Maybe, I'm not really here to discuss your philosophy, you already know my opinions about that.

But if you're here to discuss an idea, then you can probably do it without ever using a sentence with "I" or "me" (classic signs of ego and perspective that those are). And again, without presumption, you aren't really doing that. Compared to other posters, you do a lot more of that than the average.

So I'm just genuinely surprised that this is the best you think you can do. I think you can do better, if that's your goal (and it's perfectly fine if you decide it's not one of your goals).

jamest wrote:The fact that I have a degree was mined out of me by people refusing to take me seriously, taking the piss.


That's an excuse, and it's an ego-involved excuse. I know for a fact that there are dozens, and dozens of graduates on ratskep, it's actually an overwhelming majority. In fact there are a large number of postgraduates, and even career scientists and PhDs.

They also get the piss taken out of them sometimes. It's lack of ego that prevents them from deploying a supposed expertise as a half-arsed trump card in response. You could do the same.

jamest wrote:You see, people in forums such as this have been taking the piss out of me for close to two decades. Indeed, it took me a long time to just be explicit about the fact that I have a 1st Open Degree from the OU, based upon philosophy/psychology/sociology. I've received a lot of shit about my lack of education, though was reluctant to talk about it for quite a while after I acquired said reward. I only did so, eventually, to put the record straight with a view to appeasing such people. The fact is that I am not exceptionally learned, but I am capable of being so. The good thing about studying philosophy at university level, for me, was to realise just how shite current materialism/physicalism is. Other than that, I don't give two shits about my degree. Really, honestly, I haven't impressed myself by acquiring one. Numerous people have done the same thing, even you I suspect. Even if you haven't, I still acknowledge your intelligence.


See, this is a whole paragraph about me and you. It doesn't matter whether it's a high opinion of one or other of us. The very premise is ego driven. It's about justifying identities and personas and egos.

If you are trying to be ego free, here's a salient lesson. Don't write stuff like this. Just accept it does not matter at all, ever, what you think of me. Don't bring it up. Bingo - one step closer to your goal.

jamest wrote:I do (still) have an ego. I've just explicitly stated that in an earlier post. Therefore, don't be surprised to find signs of it. I'm not presenting myself here as the 'next Christ'. Never have, never will.


That's fair enough, but you said you were doing your best. I think you're selling yourself short, you can try harder than this. I'm not complaining about "signs" of ego. I'm clearly pretty egotistical myself, so that would be silly.

I'm just saying, you don't appear to be trying at all. Your posts are more filled with references to yourself and your own ego identity than almost anyone else's. This even applies to this conversation about your efforts to be ego free (or ego suppressed as I think you put it).

jamest wrote:You appear to be getting at the fact that I'm not perfect. I agree. Which means what, exactly? That I should stfu and put up with utter crap?


No, that's not what it means.

Try posting a hundred posts with no reference to yourself, to "I" to what people should think if you think less of them and that sort of thing. Just challenge yourself to make ego free posts, if you genuinely aspire to suppress your ego.

Or if that's too much challenge, say 5 or 10 posts, of length and substance, that are just about topics and contain no reference to "I" or "my" or "my philosophy". That would be a good start. I think lots of people have done it without trying.

(Or - and this is purely hypothetical - just admit that you don't want to be ego free, if that's the actual case and you'd rather).
Last edited by Thommo on Mar 21, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#107  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 1:30 am

This is quite fun (you'll note the whole article never mentions his personal thoughts, opinions or views by reference to "I" or personal history):

https://www.innerpeacenow.com/inner-pea ... -behaviour
Recognising Egoic Behaviour

Recognising egoic behaviour in yourself and others makes the ego far easier to deal with. What used to feel like terrible situations can now be transcended.

When you know what to look for, it is easier to make the distinction between ego and the true self, whether it is within you or someone else. This seeing makes egoic situations far easier to deal with.

Egoic Behaviour

Some examples of egoic behaviour to look out for in yourself and others include:

wanting to be right and prove someone else wrong.
caring about what others think of you.
being identified with thoughts and emotions
reliving the past in your mind.
acting out a "future" scenario in your mind.
being offended or feeling hurt if someone criticises or insults you, or feeling the need to defend yourself in conversation or argument.
feeling good about yourself after someone praises you.
feeling very possessive of anything - e.g. a possession, person or a belief system i.e. this is MINE
feeling separate from everything and everyone.
telling yourself a story about what is happening or what your life is like.
full of "what if's".
trying to reach a future point for fulfilment, ignoring the present moment.
resisting what is.
trying to "be someone"

….there are many more that you will notice for yourself.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#108  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 2:06 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:"Everything"? I never said that.


Is starting your post with a semantic quibble which makes no difference wise? The phases "I'm doing everything I can" and "I'm doing the best I can" are not distinct. You can't do one without doing the other.

Bollocks, since as I have an ego (as stated) there will be times when that ego speaks/does for me, in which case I cannot in principle be doing (all of the time) 'everything' I can to rid myself of it. The distinction between 'best' and 'everything' is utterly distinct/clear in this instance.


jamest wrote: One doesn't just change automatically upon a realisation of a truth. Old habits/attitudes are deep-rooted. And when you're alone, as I am (since it'smy philosophy), devoid of help, then reconciling one's behaviour with one's beliefs is a long hard road.


Maybe, I'm not really here to discuss your philosophy, you already know my opinions about that.

Neither am I, even though you know my opinions of your opinions of such.

But if you're here to discuss an idea, then you can probably do it without ever using a sentence with "I" or "me" (classic signs of ego and perspective that those are). And again, without presumption, you aren't really doing that. Compared to other posters, you do a lot more of that than the average.

What a load of disingenuous bollocks this is. Firstly, my language/culture restricts me to speak thus. Secondly, your negative opinion of me and my ego forces you to focus and recognise my utility of such, though not upon any other member (with such a focus). This is YOUR [metaphysical] defense mechanism coming to light, here. That's all.

So I'm just genuinely surprised that this is the best you think you can do. I think you can do better, if that's your goal (and it's perfectly fine if you decide it's not one of your goals).

My ultimate goal is to be selfless, yes, but not at the expense of accepting bullshit as truth. Everything you're saying seems like political bullshit to me, aimed merely at undermining 'jamest' than addressing the views he has parroted from his source.

jamest wrote:The fact that I have a degree was mined out of me by people refusing to take me seriously, taking the piss.


That's an excuse, and it's an ego-involved excuse. I know for a fact that there are dozens, and dozens of graduates on ratskep, it's actually an overwhelming majority. In fact there are a large number of postgraduates, and even career scientists and PhDs.

I've just told you that it took me ages to be explicit about my degree, and that it impresses me not. That reason was that more people might be willing to listen to my philosophy if they knew I had a degree. There's nothing 'selfish' about that reason, since my philosophy despises selfishness. Read this thread, for instance.

jamest wrote:You see, people in forums such as this have been taking the piss out of me for close to two decades. Indeed, it took me a long time to just be explicit about the fact that I have a 1st Open Degree from the OU, based upon philosophy/psychology/sociology. I've received a lot of shit about my lack of education, though was reluctant to talk about it for quite a while after I acquired said reward. I only did so, eventually, to put the record straight with a view to appeasing such people. The fact is that I am not exceptionally learned, but I am capable of being so. The good thing about studying philosophy at university level, for me, was to realise just how shite current materialism/physicalism is. Other than that, I don't give two shits about my degree. Really, honestly, I haven't impressed myself by acquiring one. Numerous people have done the same thing, even you I suspect. Even if you haven't, I still acknowledge your intelligence.


See, this is a whole paragraph about me and you. It doesn't matter whether it's a high opinion of one or other of us. The very premise is ego driven. It's about justifying identities and personas and egos.

So fucking what? I'm living/experiencing myself in such a realm. How can I communicate with people, given the restrictions of my language, notwithstanding their (generally) atheist/materialist beliefs, without using a language they'll understand?

You're being totally unreasonable. You're taking no account of my position at all.

If you are trying to be ego free, here's a salient lesson. Don't write stuff like this. Just accept it does not matter at all, ever, what you think of me. Don't bring it up. Bingo - one step closer to your goal.

With all due respect, fuck off. I will not ever present ego-free content to people who are not ego-free, even if I achieve said status myself. That would be an instance of me disrespecting their beliefs.

I respect materialism/physicalism. I know from experience that it's a hard belief to traverse, especially given the shite we have to put up with from the religions. Therefore, even if I should lose my ego tonight, I will still respect your ego tomorrow, and speak as such.

Good night.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#109  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:17 am

:lol:

Well, ok then. Namaste.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#110  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 2:27 am

Thommo wrote::lol:

Well, ok then. Namaste.

That laughter alone was uncalled for, as it speaks volumes of your insincerity. I don't really give a fuck, regardless. Hundreds of characters such as you have been trying to shaft me for two decades.

I'm still around. Going nowhere, until one of your (plural) plots actually works. Regardless, as has been repeatedly proven with you and others of your ilk during my tenure here and elsewhere, I wish you well. Best wishes.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#111  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:29 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote::lol:

Well, ok then. Namaste.

That laughter alone was uncalled for, as it speaks volumes of your insincerity. I don't really give a fuck, regardless. Hundreds of characters such as you have been trying to shaft me for two decades.

I'm still around. Going nowhere, until one of your (plural) plots actually works. Regardless, as has been repeatedly proven with you and others of your ilk during my tenure here and elsewhere, I wish you well. Best wishes.


This could be so much less egotistical. It doesn't seem like a lot of effort to make it so.

Namaste.

To paraphrase an (allegedly) wise man:
I'm genuinely disgusted by this post. It upsets me. Especially as I know people afflicted thus. Yes, I consider egoism to be a disease of the 'soul'.

Why has it come to this? And how bad can it get?

You might think that I'm joking/trolling, but I'm genuinely serious. Western culture + Western technology has in no time at all produced a generation of egotistical retards, generally speaking, in my opinion.
Some people just cannot let go of their ego, and desire for their ideas to be right.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#112  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 2:35 am

I've already informed you that there is a degree of ego left in me, and that I'm not presenting myself as the Christ.

How many times do you want me to repeat this? Go to bed, squire.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#113  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am

Again, you could cut down on the ego (recall - the conversation is about your desire to do that) by not comparing yourself to Jesus, one of the most admired figures in all of history. Try that.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#114  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 2:51 am

Thommo wrote:Again, you could cut down on the ego (recall - the conversation is about your desire to do that) by not comparing yourself to Jesus, one of the most admired figures in all of history. Try that.

As I've just informed you that I'm NOT comparing myself to Jesus, your response is very odd. It's almost as though you refuse to accept it as true. :)

Good night. I'm done.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#115  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2018 2:52 am

jamest wrote:I've already informed you that there is a degree of ego left in me, and that I'm not presenting myself as the Christ.

How many times do you want me to repeat this?

You can stop repeating it, because it completely misses the point. He isn't chiding you for having some ego left, he's pointing out that there's more ego in your posts than is found in people's who aren't making any attempt at all to curtail their ego. You're going to take this as an assault on you, calling you a dick or an asshole or something like that, but it isn't, Thommo's is a salient observation. Ego is also preventing you from realizing this.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14257
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#116  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:54 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:Again, you could cut down on the ego (recall - the conversation is about your desire to do that) by not comparing yourself to Jesus, one of the most admired figures in all of history. Try that.

As I've just informed you that I'm NOT comparing myself to Jesus, your response is very odd.


No, you did in fact just compare yourself to Jesus.

You said "I'm not presenting myself as the Christ.". That is you comparing yourself to Jesus. You're saying that you're close enough (in your presentation) to Jesus that you think (despite my having never, ever, ever confused you with him in any way) you need to clarify that you aren't actually Jesus.

No, you're not that close. You need never, ever make this comparison (as you know, every single other member has managed).
Last edited by Thommo on Mar 21, 2018 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#117  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:56 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:You can stop repeating it, because it completely misses the point. He isn't chiding you for having some ego left, he's pointing out that there's more ego in your posts than is found in people's who aren't making any attempt at all to curtail their ego. You're going to take this as an assault on you, calling you a dick or an asshole or something like that, but it isn't, Thommo's is a salient observation. Ego is also preventing you from realizing this.


Totally not goading, or shitposting at all, but you should check out how your prediction fared in the "not Jordan Bennett" thread. :shifty: :whistle:

(ok, maybe goading and shitposting a little)
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#118  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 2:56 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:I've already informed you that there is a degree of ego left in me, and that I'm not presenting myself as the Christ.

How many times do you want me to repeat this?

You can stop repeating it, because it completely misses the point. He isn't chiding you for having some ego left, he's pointing out that there's more ego in your posts than is found in people's who aren't making any attempt at all to curtail their ego. You're going to take this as an assault on you, calling you a dick or an asshole or something like that, but it isn't, Thommo's is a salient observation. Ego is also preventing you from realizing this.

Denouncing one's ego isn't an act of denouncing one's abilitiy to think. I mean, this isn't jamest talking, as per my philosophy.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus himself must have come across as an arrogant bastard. But only to arrogant bastards such as Romans and Jews... and materialists.
Last edited by jamest on Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#119  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am

Thommo wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:You can stop repeating it, because it completely misses the point. He isn't chiding you for having some ego left, he's pointing out that there's more ego in your posts than is found in people's who aren't making any attempt at all to curtail their ego. You're going to take this as an assault on you, calling you a dick or an asshole or something like that, but it isn't, Thommo's is a salient observation. Ego is also preventing you from realizing this.


Totally not goading, or shitposting at all, but you should check out how your prediction fared in the "not Jordan Bennett" thread. :shifty: :whistle:

(ok, maybe goading and shitposting a little)

Do I have to actually read the thread? Was it him after all? :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14257
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#120  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2018 3:03 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:I've already informed you that there is a degree of ego left in me, and that I'm not presenting myself as the Christ.

How many times do you want me to repeat this?

You can stop repeating it, because it completely misses the point. He isn't chiding you for having some ego left, he's pointing out that there's more ego in your posts than is found in people's who aren't making any attempt at all to curtail their ego. You're going to take this as an assault on you, calling you a dick or an asshole or something like that, but it isn't, Thommo's is a salient observation. Ego is also preventing you from realizing this.

Denouncing one's ego isn't an act of denouncing one's abilitiy to think.

I didn't say it was. Not that it really has anything to do with the the point being made.

I mean, this isn't jamest talking, as per my philosophy.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus himself must have come across as an arrogant bastard. But only to arrogant bastards such as Romans and Jews... amd materialists.

You're comparing yourself to Jesus again.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14257
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest