Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

Discuss

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#121  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 3:06 am

Only tossers would ignore the meat of an idea in favour of usurping an individual.

So, step up once more if you're a tosser.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2018 3:08 am

There was no meat to your idea. Jesus appeared egotistical because he was. Unless you think demanding people to abandon their families or else they can't get his special teaching sauce is the move of a ego-free individual?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#123  Postby jamest » Mar 21, 2018 3:12 am

Wow, what a t...
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#124  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2018 3:15 am

It's so easy to tell when you've lost, because you're reduced to dodging the point and calling names. Have a good night.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 21, 2018 7:11 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:The fact that I have a degree was mined out of me by people refusing to take me seriously, taking the piss.

That's an excuse, and it's an ego-involved excuse. I know for a fact that there are dozens, and dozens of graduates on ratskep, it's actually an overwhelming majority. In fact there are a large number of postgraduates, and even career scientists and PhDs.

There are dozens of us. Dozens!
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Fallible » Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am

ME!!! ME! ME! I'm special! I'm one of the special ones! I don't wish to blow my own trumpet, I'm very humble. I'm one of the special people though. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#127  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

I remember around late 2013 I was looking for a tripod mount thingy for my phone. Wandering around the Funan Centre, I bumped into a young chap who suggested purchasing one of the extender sticks he had for sale amongst his various goods and items. I said no. I bought a Gorilla Grip instead. I do not regret that day in the slightest, looking back upon it now.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby Sendraks » Mar 21, 2018 9:48 am

purplerat wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote: Well I was responding to your comment where you were saying basically the same thing except that you limited it to places where they are expressly prohibited. I'm just saying there are other reasons than the limited few you suggested to be annoyed with them. Nothing more.

Well I was responding to your comment, taking on what I considered to be the next logical step from what you said. Nothing more.

purplerat wrote: No need to project onto me.

I hadn't projected anything onto you, given I attributed no emotions/behaviours/motives to you.

I don't see what the "next logical step" would be. A device which simultaneously requires people to be more aware of their surrounding yet by its nature makes people less attentive being found annoying when used in public places doesn't require a "next logic step". That you decided it did is you projecting.

Nope. That Isn't projecting onto you. For the reasons I've already explained.

Having a next logical step is not projecting and your repeated assertion that it is, won't make it so. I thought how I set out my train of thought was quite clear but, if there was something you did not follow, then I'm happy to clarify that.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote: Well I was responding to your comment where you were saying basically the same thing except that you limited it to places where they are expressly prohibited. I'm just saying there are other reasons than the limited few you suggested to be annoyed with them. Nothing more.

Well I was responding to your comment, taking on what I considered to be the next logical step from what you said. Nothing more.

purplerat wrote: No need to project onto me.

I hadn't projected anything onto you, given I attributed no emotions/behaviours/motives to you.

I don't see what the "next logical step" would be. A device which simultaneously requires people to be more aware of their surrounding yet by its nature makes people less attentive being found annoying when used in public places doesn't require a "next logic step". That you decided it did is you projecting.

Nope. That Isn't projecting onto you. For the reasons I've already explained.

Having a next logical step is not projecting and your repeated assertion that it is, won't make it so. I thought how I set out my train of thought was quite clear but, if there was something you did not follow, then I'm happy to clarify that.

What I didn't follow is how I was profiling or engaging in unhealthy behavior. I guess I felt like you were taking some of what you thought of other commenters attitudes on selfie sticks and applying it unfairly to what I was saying.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Sendraks » Mar 21, 2018 3:21 pm

purplerat wrote:
What I didn't follow is how I was profiling or engaging in unhealthy behavior. I guess I felt like you were taking some of what you thought of other commenters attitudes on selfie sticks and applying it unfairly to what I was saying.

I never said you were engaging in that sort of behaviour. If you look at what I wrote, you'll note it is devoid of any personalisations at all. There's no "you" "you're" or anything to suggest that the response is about you.

Then the issue is the behaviours and that people with those behaviours are the sort to own selfie sticks. Which is a crude form of profiling and still nothing more than projecting behaviours/motives/emotions onto other people, which is not a healthy behaviour.

I am responding to what you said.
But, the response is not about you.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#131  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote:

I never said you were engaging in that sort of behaviour. If you look at what I wrote, you'll note it is devoid of any personalisations at all. There's no "you" "you're" or anything to suggest that the response is about you.

Then the issue is the behaviours and that people with those behaviours are the sort to own selfie sticks. Which is a crude form of profiling and still nothing more than projecting behaviours/motives/emotions onto other people, which is not a healthy behaviour.

I am responding to what you said.
But, the response is not about you.

Fair enough. I'm still not sure how you get from what I said to profiling or unhealthy behavior, but whatever :dunno:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2018 12:09 am

Fallible wrote:ME!!! ME! ME! I'm special! I'm one of the special ones! I don't wish to blow my own trumpet, I'm very humble. I'm one of the special people though. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Please stop hounding me, as I'm done with you. Thank you.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#133  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2018 12:16 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:It's so easy to tell when you've lost, because you're reduced to dodging the point and calling names. Have a good night.

You have a point, actually. I mean I called you a 't', and I meant it. But that's how I feel wrt to my philosophy. I often forget that being ignorant isn't a choice. My apologies, if you'll accept them.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2018 12:25 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It's so easy to tell when you've lost, because you're reduced to dodging the point and calling names. Have a good night.

You have a point, actually. I mean I called you a 't', and I meant it. But that's how I feel wrt to my philosophy. I often forget that being ignorant isn't a choice. My apologies, if you'll accept them.

Indeed. Anyone who cares to check can find that you once suggested:

If I can't be arsed to get my shit together and deliver a serious overview of my philosophy within the next two months, that I should completely give-up the ghost and not bother anyone else here ever again.

You then later posted your best ever attempt at this serious overview of your philosophy:

jamest wrote:A simple overview of my idealist philosophy

None of this will suffice as a proof of my opinions, as the brevity of an overview prohibits me from providing such. It’s intended – and I have been requested to do it (indeed, I have banned myself from this forum until I respond to that request) – to give the reader a general insight into my mindset.

I start at a place similar to Descartes. That is: I experience, therefore I am.

… The awareness of a series of orchestrated/related sensations/qualia (red; pain; cold; itchy; sweet; etc.) suffices as evidence of ‘my’ existence. It must do, because there has to be something privy to these events (‘nothing’ cannot be aware). However, none of this suffices to disclose my actual nature/identity. Though I interpret my sensations/qualia to read as “I am jamest in the world”, I cannot (nor should I) trust my interpretation to be indicative of my true nature/identity. At this juncture, the metaphysical field is open to all partygoers.

I have explained a thousand times why science is of zero metaphysical value in supporting the biased anti-theist opinions of the physicalists/materialists. Experienced B is not B itself (upgraded from observed B is not B itself, due to pedantry surrounding the concept of observation) renders the physicalist/materialist devoid of any support whatsoever for their beliefs in the reality of humanity and/or the world. Their beliefs are wholly questionable, putting them on a par with those who simply believe anything. Order and commonality of experience do nothing to substantiate the claim that the objects of experience must [therefore] exist independently of their experience.

At this juncture, the reader is cordially invited to question their brainwashed mindset and objectively open their mind, prior to actually reading anything else I have to say on the matter. Your truth mill is kaput. Shut the fucker down. If you want to judge my philosophy, do it reasonably. You cannot do this if you judge what I have to say in the light of the existence of the world itself being a fucking given. It isn’t.

At this juncture, I can move in one of two directions. One of those directions is to show why the world itself cannot exist. Or, alternatively, why existence must be indivisible (existence is absolutely singular). I have provided different arguments for each. I’m not going to go over them again here in an overview.

The opposite direction to move is to show why only ‘you’ exist and to prove that ‘you’ are God. The first thing to note is that I do argue that there is an objective/reasonable way of defining God such that the concept has meaning within philosophy. That is, philosophy can disassociate itself from all religious connotations of the divine concept. The second thing to note is that since one’s identity/nature is in doubt, what one thinks/experiences of oneself must at all times be put on the shelf whilst assessing these arguments. ‘You’ transcend what you experience/think (you transcend your consciousness). The very fact that you cannot account for the content of your consciousness, proves this. Which is why, on several occasions, I’ve explained why solipsism is fubar. Indeed, amongst several terms I’ve coined over the years, ‘naïve solipsism’ is prominent.

With that in mind, I have produced many arguments for the existence of God. Again, I’m not going to go over them here in an overview. My philosophy is quite expansive, as any search of the threads I’ve started will show.

What I will say is that this is all a work in progress. I’ve been doing this for about 15 years now. I’ve constantly gained new insights; I’ve acquired new knowledge; I’ve learnt how to present myself better. I’m neither averse to criticism nor revision. I’ve learnt a lot from my discussions with many members here and elsewhere.

Clearly, the above would not suffice as the intro to a book. Something I’ve been half-heartedly threatening for about a decade. Yet, the readers of any book I might write will not have access to the search engine you lot have here. If you’re genuinely interested in the details, then go and look for them.

The only reason I have done this overview is to regain access to the forum. I’ve done it, so I’m back. Tough shit.

Edited: had to correct "existence cannot must be indivisible".

Everyone has a simple choice about whether to be ignorant of this. Although it would, arguably, be an even easier choice if you linked to this full and comprehensive view showing how well thought out your ideas are in your signature.
Thommo

Print view this post

#135  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 24, 2018 12:38 am

I wasn't aware of the upgrade from observed B to experienced B. Duly noted.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2018 12:39 am

You're welcome, Luv.
Thommo

Print view this post

#137  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2018 12:46 am

Thommo, definitely a thorn worth perservering with.

I know that as a theist (such as I am) I'm probably fucked in any forum such as this, or even (and especially) any religious forum. I don't bother with religious forums since I'm convinced that you guys are more open than robe-wearing idyats (damn, no chance of selling a robe ever now!).

I'm all alone. No connection with any cunt. Though I will persevere until death. What choice do I have? None, since I'm done with shit both you lot and the robed geezers are peddling.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am

jamest wrote:What choice do I have? None, since I'm done with shit both you lot and the robed geezers are peddling.

• Not selling ideology while drinking alone at your computer late at night, perhaps?
  • Selling a more fleshed out, more complete ideology?
  • Delivering on the promise of a well thought out argument for the things you believe?
  • Being open minded yourself and taking on board the places your conclusions err, or arguments falter and adapting your beliefs to new information?
  • Studying marketing - it seemed to work for L Ron Hubbard.

Take your pick from those options and more. I'd say the world's your oyster, but I'm not fond of seafood myself. On the other hand isolating yourself and then complaining about loneliness seems like a loser to me - but that's just an opinion.
Last edited by Thommo on Mar 24, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#139  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 24, 2018 12:52 am

LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2018 12:55 am

That's a bit sombre. I think I'm going to go back to watching nonsensical Japanese cartoons on random high numbered TV channels now. (Seriously Kill La Kill, what the actual mother fuck? Is that what doing acid feels like?).
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy