Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

Discuss

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

LucidFlight wrote:What if we could use language to teach people about a different reality, a reality without selfie sticks?

They are seldom interested in the spot they are visiting and just keep waving the things around usually with a lot of noise.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Sendraks wrote:Even if you observe people using them, its only a problem if you get annoyed by observing people using them. Which basically amounts to "getting annoyed by other people doing things" which is an inevitable consequence of living anywhere there are other people, where you might be annoyed by the things they do.

There are a few options.

1 - Become a hermit, living in solitude somewhere away from society.
2 - Never the leave your house, thus minimising contact with the outside world.
3 - Start learning to be less annoyed by trivial shit other people do.

Ever thought of growing up.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Any particular reason for this insult directed at me?
What is there in what I have said which can in any way be construed as immature?

Learning to be less annoyed by trivial shit other people do, is a sign of maturity. A sign of having grown up.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Any particular reason for this insult directed at me?
What is there in what I have said which can in any way be construed as immature?

Learning to be less annoyed by trivial shit other people do, is a sign of maturity. A sign of having grown up.

Well do you think your response was from a mature adult?

Listing three things that have completely nothing to do with the discussion. Just childish put downs. So if a dog shits on your shoes you just accept it.

I dont have to accept the trivial shit other people do the same as you would ever accept the dog shitting on you.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby BlackBart » Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't have a problem with selfie-sticks per se, if people want to look like dicks, that's fine. Its the idiots who manage to clonk other people in the back of the head (I.e me) with the fucking things who should be hunted down with dogs. It's pretty simple; if you're going to wave a stick around in a crowd, practice some bloody self awareness. :lay:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Corneel » Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

BlackBart wrote:I don't have a problem with selfie-sticks per se, if people want to look like dicks, that's fine. Its the idiots who manage to clonk other people in the back of the head (I.e me) with the fucking things who should be hunted down with dogs. It's pretty simple; if you're going to wave a stick around in a crowd, practice some bloody self awareness. :lay:

I don't think self awareness is the problem in this case.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Thommo » Mar 20, 2018 2:55 pm

BlackBart wrote:I don't have a problem with selfie-sticks per se, if people want to look like dicks, that's fine. Its the idiots who manage to clonk other people in the back of the head (I.e me) with the fucking things who should be hunted down with dogs. It's pretty simple; if you're going to wave a stick around in a crowd, practice some bloody self awareness. :lay:

I know what to buy somebody for their birthday at least! :)
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Well do you think your response was from a mature adult?

You're the one who claimed they were immature. You back up your own position

Scot Dutchy wrote:Listing three things that have completely nothing to do with the discussion.
#
If you can't see their relevance to the discussion, that is your problem. I would not have written them if they were not relevant.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just childish put downs.

That you consider those things to be childish put downs is your problem.

They are all courses of action one can take to avoid being annoyed by what other people do. Of course, only one of those three options is actually serious and is a course of action any mature adult should be endeavoring to take, for the good of their own mental health. Instead of trying to make your problems other people's problems.

Scot Dutchy wrote: So if a dog shits on your shoes you just accept it.

There's a world of difference between someone going about their own business with a selfie stick and a dog actually shitting on your shoe. Talking about use of selfie sticks, which is action that has no direct effect on you, the leaping to an action which does directly effect you, is shifting the goalposts.

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont have to accept the trivial shit other people do the same as you would ever accept the dog shitting on you.

Well if you choose to get annoyed by things other people do which don't effect you, then you're the one creating the problem for yourself.

As for a dog actually shitting on your shoe (this has never happened to me and I've owned dogs for the better part of two decades), what does getting annoyed about it serve? It doesn't do you any good. Sure you can choose to be annoyed but, there's no reason for anyone to care or show you sympathy.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Exactly! Although I am not that tall but I am not short during a visit to Prague I was plagued short Asian girls waving these damn things. Prague like so many places is bomb full of tourists. They dont have clue where they are and just click away.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Sendraks wrote:Well if you choose to get annoyed by things other people do which don't effect you, then you're the one creating the problem for yourself.

As I explained above these are a plague. I suppose you use one since you are against any criticism of them.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby BlackBart » Mar 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Thommo wrote:

I know what to buy somebody for their birthday at least! :)

Yes. A pack of starving, rabid hunting dogs please!

And if you meant a selfie stick, if there's an Samsung S9+ on the end, I won't complain!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
As I explained above these are a plague.

Yes, you've explained that you think they are a plague and that you choose to be bothered by them.
I choose not to be bothered by them, because life is too short to get annoyed by trivial stuff other people do. I'll save my energy for getting annoyed by stuff that actually matters and actually effects me or has potential to do so.

Scot Dutchy wrote:I suppose you use one since you are against any criticism of them.

I'm not opposed to any criticism of them, providing that criticism is valid. That you find them annoying, is simply you choosing to be annoyed by them. Blackbart finding it annoying by getting hit by a selfie stick, again isn't a crticism of selfie sticks but, a criticism of the carelessness shown by some people who use them.

As it stands, don't have one, don't want one. I'm not a selfie person nor a big phone camera user.
That other people are, doesn't bother me, because there is no good reason why it should.

If you want to be annoyed by people trying to enjoy their lives in a way that, at worst, is a minimal inconvenience to you, then that is your problem. And it is a problem, because it isn't healthy behaviour.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Never mind that is not my experience. You are not me and I am not you and please dont tell me how to suck eggs. Your attitude is not healthy but that IMHO and you have yours.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote: Your attitude is not healthy but that IMHO and you have yours.

Why is my attitude not healthy?
What is unhealthy about choosing not to be annoyed about trivial stuff other people do that doesn't effect me?

Contrariwise - what is healthy about being annoyed about trivial stuff other people do?
You choose to be annoyed by selfie-sticks. How is that healthy?

Final question.

Why are selfie sticks annoying? As of yet, people have only said that they find them annoying but, not actually why.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby newolder » Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Creator of the 'selfie stick' creates a new, less annoying alternative

I haven't played the video yet so I don't really know what's occurring...
abc action news source

ETA Watched it now. Wasted another minute of my life. Heigh ho. :crazy:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

newolder wrote:
Creator of the 'selfie stick' creates a new, less annoying alternative

I haven't played the video yet so I don't really know what's occurring...
abc action news source

Even he says:"The creator of the selfie stick says his new invention is even better than a selfie stick and it is far less annoying".

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#57  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 4:38 pm

I bought a selfie stick because it can mount a real camera. I haven't used it yet, but with it I can angle my camera into places that I can't reach with my arms. Well above my head, around branches and logs, that sort of thing. I thought of a time I was at an aquarium and didn't get to see the penguins because a huge crowd was gathered around them. At least I would've been able to get a picture with that.
I keep forgetting about it. I can try to use it to get a selfie with a squirrel or birdgie. :lol:
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2018 4:43 pm

At least you will be alone.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#59  Postby laklak » Mar 20, 2018 5:30 pm

BlackBart wrote:,, who should be hunted down with dogs.

From horseback.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#60  Postby NineBerry » Mar 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Before selfie sticks, people would bother other people asking them to take of a photo.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy