Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

Discuss

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#81  Postby purplerat » Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote:
I can see a practical reason for being annoyed by selfie sticks. They are after all long sticks which by their nature and the nature of the people using them tend to get swung around rather carelessly. I'm sure we've all seen people so absorbed in what's going on with their phone that they walk into other people and objects. That's annoying enough but give them a selfie stick and now they've just expanded their sphere-of-influence, so to speak, by a few meters.

Personally, I've been nearly killed on a few occasions by people using them on bike trails. Either because they aren't paying attention to where they are going or because they are swinging a big stick around in the path of other cyclists.

The issue there is the behaviour of the people, rather than the implement. And it only applies, when an interaction with said person and implement occurs.

I've been almost run over by cyclists a few times when out running and my dog has been run over by cyclists. That doesn't make me annoyed at bicycles, it makes me annoyed at the people using them.

Well, I didn't mean that I'm literally annoyed by the object itself. But rather that the object is associated with a whole bunch of annoying behaviors, not just the narrow circumstances that you listed.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby purplerat » Mar 20, 2018 9:49 pm

LucidFlight wrote:I wonder if being annoyed by selfie sticks is perhaps shorthand for being annoyed by people's behaviour when using selfie sticks... badly.

Yes, that's what I meant. I thought it was a given rather than assumed that people are really annoyed at the mere existence of an inanimate object.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 9:51 pm

purplerat wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:That remains YPO. Being impersonal and rude matters?

How is using a selfie stick objectively impersonal and rude?
That's simply nothing more than you projecting behaviours and motivations onto other people. Its pretty much circular reasoning.

Scot thinks using a selfie stick is impersonal and rude -> people who use selfie sticks and impersonal and rude.

I can think of only one set of circumstances at where being annoyed at someone using a selfie-stick is justified, and that would be were someone was using one in a place where they were prohibited. Such as those museums which prohibit their use, because of the potential risk to the exhibits resulting from someone being careless with a long stick. I'd have no qualms about going up to someone under those circumstances and pointing out they shouldn't be using a selfie-stick and requesting they put it away.

Same as I would do, and have done, with people using flash photography at zoos where the use of a flash is prohibited and there are signs up everywhere saying do not use a fucking flash.

Elsewhere, there's no legitimate grounds for it. Whats the rationale for getting annoyed with people and what are you going to do about it? Are you going to walk up to someone and say "I'm annoyed that you're having fun with your selfie stick, put it away please?"

I can see a practical reason for being annoyed by selfie sticks. They are after all long sticks which by their nature and the nature of the people using them tend to get swung around rather carelessly. I'm sure we've all seen people so absorbed in what's going on with their phone that they walk into other people and objects. That's annoying enough but give them a selfie stick and now they've just expanded their sphere-of-influence, so to speak, by a few meters.

Personally, I've been nearly killed on a few occasions by people using them on bike trails. Either because they aren't paying attention to where they are going or because they are swinging a big stick around in the path of other cyclists.

Not nearly as bad as people with umbrellas. I get hit by those all the time in cities, and they can poke me in the eye.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 9:52 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Not nearly as bad as people with umbrellas. I get hit by those all the time in cities, and they can poke me in the eye.

Same.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#85  Postby Thommo » Mar 20, 2018 9:52 pm

The_Piper wrote:Not nearly as bad as people with umbrellas. I get hit by those all the time in cities, and they can poke me in the eye.

I'm 6'1" to 6'2" or so, and yes. So much this.

I'm pretty sure evolution is going to do away with people my height after we all go blind and stumble into traffic after having our eyes poked out by fucking umbrellas.

I'm probably being selfish, but the amount I value my eyes compared to someone getting damp hair definitely goes all my way.
Thommo

Print view this post

#86  Postby Animavore » Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

The_Piper wrote:

Usually by smaller people who have less visibility due to a smaller seeing radius caused by a shorter distance from the base of the umbrella to the ground thanks to their little legs.

Don't be small, guys.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Thommo wrote:I'm pretty sure evolution is going to do away with people my height after we all go blind and stumble into traffic after having our eyes poked out by fucking umbrellas.

They're so rude and impersonal.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#88  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm

:lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 20, 2018 10:23 pm

The great thing about selfie sticks is that you don't just get a photo or video of beautiful scenery; you get a photo or video of beautiful scenery and the people in the photo enjoying the beautiful scenery. It's like, here we are enjoying the beautiful scenery*!

*plus a stick
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby newolder » Mar 20, 2018 10:26 pm

and don't forget the stick. Just saw it beneath the tube. :doh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby Thommo » Mar 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Thommo wrote:I'm pretty sure evolution is going to do away with people my height after we all go blind and stumble into traffic after having our eyes poked out by fucking umbrellas.

They're so rude and impersonal.

Imparasol, maybe.
Thommo

Print view this post

#92  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Thommo wrote:
Imparasol, maybe.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#93  Postby NineBerry » Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear selfie sticks, shall not be infringed.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#94  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

purplerat wrote:
Well, I didn't mean that I'm literally annoyed by the object itself. But rather that the object is associated with a whole bunch of annoying behaviors, not just the narrow circumstances that you listed.

Then the issue is the behaviours and that people with those behaviours are the sort to own selfie sticks. Which is a crude form of profiling and still nothing more than projecting behaviours/motives/emotions onto other people, which is not a healthy behaviour.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#95  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 10:53 pm

NineBerry wrote:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear selfie sticks, shall not be infringed.

Amen. The Curiosity Mars rover even takes selfies. https://www.space.com/39575-mars-rover-curiosity-selfie-vera-rubin-ridge.html
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Thommo » Mar 20, 2018 10:54 pm

The_Piper wrote:
NineBerry wrote:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear selfie sticks, shall not be infringed.

Amen. The Curiosity Mars rover even takes selfies. https://www.space.com/39575-mars-rover-curiosity-selfie-vera-rubin-ridge.html

And thus started the war of the worlds, as the martians became angered.
Thommo

Print view this post

#97  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

:mrgreen:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#98  Postby purplerat » Mar 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Then the issue is the behaviours and that people with those behaviours are the sort to own selfie sticks. Which is a crude form of profiling and still nothing more than projecting behaviours/motives/emotions onto other people, which is not a healthy behaviour.

Well I was responding to your comment where you were saying basically the same thing except that you limited it to places where they are expressly prohibited. I'm just saying there are other reasons than the limited few you suggested to be annoyed with them. Nothing more. No need to project onto me.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 11:48 pm

purplerat wrote: Well I was responding to your comment where you were saying basically the same thing except that you limited it to places where they are expressly prohibited. I'm just saying there are other reasons than the limited few you suggested to be annoyed with them. Nothing more.

Well I was responding to your comment, taking on what I considered to be the next logical step from what you said. Nothing more.

purplerat wrote: No need to project onto me.

I hadn't projected anything onto you, given I attributed no emotions/behaviours/motives to you.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#100  Postby jamest » Mar 20, 2018 11:59 pm

I cannot imagine being so invested in how I look and what I'm doing that I would take numerous selfies with a view to impressing people so that I can feel good about myself. I would hope to have that attitude even if I looked like Brad Pitt and had travelled the world, meeting lots of famous folk. This thread has fuck all to do with being poked in the eye by a selfie stick, although anyone who buys/uses such a thing is obviously diseased thus.

I do not profess to have no ego, but I'm trying my best to suppress it, for obvious reasons. I fail often enough, of course, but at least I'm fucking trying. The idyats who post pictures of themselves all over the internet seem like supreme sad gits to me, regardless of my theistic beliefs.

Reconciling my philosophies with my behaviour is something I'm working on. Long before I became a theist, I had developed all sorts of bad egotistical habits/attitudes. I of course recognise that many of them are still there/here, rooted in the past, but as I say I am actually trying to change. I will probably fail, since I'm not even sure what my philosophy demands of me, but I will try regardless until death.

Along that road, you might hear me rant about dudes who are so shallow that they invest their whole lives into their ego, as I have done here. I make no apologies for doing that, since regardless of my own imperfections somebody surely has to oppose the culture of promoting egoism? It repulses me anyway, if not yourselves.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy