Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

Discuss

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#1  Postby jamest » Mar 19, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm genuinely disgusted by it. It upsets me too, especially as I know people afflicted thus. Yes, I consider it to be a disease of the 'soul'.

Why has it come to this? And how bad can it get?

You might think that I'm joking/trolling, but I'm genuinely serious. Western culture + Western technology has in no time at all produced a generation of egotistical retards, generally speaking, in my opinion. Of course, I'm aware that egotistical retards have been around for millennia, but it's now getting to the point that every household has one-or-two+. Certainly, mine does. This is certainly a problem affecting our youth, with apparent peer pressure not just to have a phone/whatever, but to be egotistical
if you have one.

We can discuss the notion that this is a serious social problem, as well discuss solutions to it, if you like. Otherwise, go and take another selfie.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Our Selfie Culture is abhorrent

#2  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 12:01 am

Why is this only a problem now?

Historically people have been "taking selfies" for centuries. The only difference being was that the selfies were called "portraits" and could only be afforded by the very rich or powerful, who felt their visage should be immortalised for whatever reason. Some of those people will probably have been quite egotistical. But, not all of them.

The mass market availability of cameras in the late 20th century, made getting a "selfie" widely available and yet, there was no outcry about that behaviour at the time.

Now in the early 21st century, high resolution imagery is available to almost everyone. So many people take selfies.

Many people but, by no means not all, take selfies because they think they "look good" in that picture. That is not, by default, egotistical. Not everyone has a high opinion of themself. For some folk, having a picture where they look good, is a reminder that such a thing is possible and can help build up a low self-esteem. This is perfectly healthy behaviour. Some people take selfies where they are indifferent to how they look but, want to capture themselves in a place at a particular time, for the purposes of having a record rather than just relying on memory.

And then egotistical people take selfies because they are egotistical.

That you're projecting egotism onto everyone who takes a selfie, is unhealthy behaviour and a product of your mind only. Projecting emotions/intentions/behaviours onto others is never a helpful thing to do because, as demonstrated by your post, it can lead a person down a judgemental path which generates unhealthy emotions.

By all means get angry with egotistical people. But, do your homework and establish who those individuals are.

Projecting egotism onto everyone engaged with a behaviour says nothing about those people or the behaviour. It does say a lot about you as a person.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby jamest » Mar 20, 2018 12:51 am

Sendraks wrote:Why is this only a problem now?

The problem is apparent now because I personally have become aware of how bad it is at this time, though I admit that the 'selfie culture disease' thing might have been apparent to many for several years. How old is facebook, I dunno? I have zero interest in said culture, except via my kids.

I'm here to discuss it because it needs to be discussed. If you're implying that it's been discussed for 'ages' and nothing can be done about it, then fuck that. All the more need for a discussion.

Historically people have been "taking selfies" for centuries.

I refered to that in the OP. The difference then as opposed now is that only an elite proportion of the population considered themselves special.

These days, many peasants seek the same glory. Not because of their inheritance/roots, but because of their personality/looks/abilities/etc.. Hence, social media has fueled an egotistical frenzy. Ego usurping ego. Not the cold war, but the cool war. And most of it has its basis in what you look like; what you can afford to buy for yourself; or whatever. Regardless, the bottom line is YOU, baby.

... That's my concern in a nutshell: that all of this technology is turning us ALL into egotistical retards.

I'm trying my best NOT to offend here, but it's impossible as we are all to some degree egotistical. However, anyone here who has witnessed the excessive egotism I have on social media (and I myself barely use it), must surely understand my concerns??

I often refer to people as muppets/parrots. What more evidence do you want, than your kids pretending to be Beyonce in McDonalds, so to speak?

This could be a serious/constructive discussion. Or else you can call me a cunt and/or report me for being a troll. I have no expectations either way. I'm just doing what I have to do, like the guy who offers a homeless man a hot drink.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Mar 20, 2018 1:15 am

For clarity - what do you mean by egotistical?

My understanding of the word is that it means someone who is excessively self-absorbed, self-centred or conceited. By the very definition of the word, is [b]not[/] possible for a person to be egotistical to "some" degree. You are either egotistical or your are not. Someone who is, to some degree, self-absorbed, is not egotistical.

Also "excessive egotism" is a tautology as egotism is excessive in and of itself.

As for your comments about "peasants seeking the same glory" this would be both you ignoring what I have written and also you projecting again. You are projecting motives/behaviours onto others and then getting annoyed with people, because of the internally generated nonsense you've put onto them. That ain't healthy. It sure as hell isn't an evidence base on which to base a discussion about human behaviour.

What it is, is an unhealthy behaviour which can be corrected with the right help and support.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Mar 20, 2018 1:35 am

Jamest has not accepted that all humans are self centred/self interested ...even when it appears selfless...it feeds their ego. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 1:45 am

It's funny how brains are. I often think to myself that people who say that most people are robots/muppets/sheep/what have you, are egotistical. They never seem to call themselves muppets. They're the ones with their eyes open while most everyone else is dumb. The real world isn't like that at all, I assure you.
I'm not saying that you're egotistical Jamest. Just that it's funny how brains are. :drunk:
Selfies often serve a purpose. Of course some people are narcissistic, it must be one of, or the most common personality disorder. :pc: Ok, second to OCD. I forgot about that one.
But most are to share something with friends and family who may not have seen each other in months or years. There's nothing wrong with that, selfies are a great thing.

Added emoticon so y'all'll know what ails ales me tonight. :shifty:
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jamest » Mar 20, 2018 2:18 am

I'm not here to call each of YOU a cunt. I'm here to make you think that you've got it entirely wrong. Ideas. They are the cunts amidst us.

There are many people here who abhor me. I get that, of course. I mean, I've been here from the onset, enough said. So, until I'm banned expect the same treatment. And when I'm gone? What will that prove? Really? I don't know how much time I have left here, but know two things:

1) I have no desire to win any egotistical war. jamest can go and fuck himself, for all I care. A flawed puppet, but which puppet isn't flawed?
2) If I tell you, you will lose your strings.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 2:38 am

As long as you "play be the rules" of the forum, you won't be banned. Post away. I don't understand what you mean by #2. If you tell me which puppet isn't flawed? I think the legend has it that even Christ was flawed, no? I don't think either of us is a puppet.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jamest » Mar 20, 2018 2:38 am

Macdoc wrote:Jamest has not accepted that all humans are self centred/self interested ...even when it appears selfless...it feeds their ego. :coffee:

Not me, squire. That's precisely why I've done nothing but be utterly abused for my efforts for about two decades, without reward, in such places as this. Maybe they should also wonder why I do not frequent religious forums, ever.

You won't find your victory over jamest any more than I seek my reward in identifying myself as him.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jamest » Mar 20, 2018 2:56 am

The_Piper wrote:As long as you "play be the rules" of the forum, you won't be banned. Post away. I don't understand what you mean by #2. If you tell me which puppet isn't flawed? I think the legend has it that even Christ was flawed, no? I don't think either of us is a puppet.

I've not come here because I view the FUA as sacrament or reasonable. So, fuck the rules. Indeed, I come to such places to challenge said bollocks, as if that wasn't obvious from my tenure here alone.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why I'm still here. Nearly everyone dislikes me and I've even recently called the owner a cnut. Indeed, I was so convinced I'd be gone by now that I made a point of saying goodbye a couple of months back to several people, just in case they might miss me.

Whatever. The bottom-line is FUCK the rules. I'm not here as a slave to ANYONE or ANY IDEA.

Humanity will never really progress to any depth until each individual realises that.

Taking cool pics of yourself to post on social media, is not an indication of this happening any time soon.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Mar 20, 2018 2:58 am

I've never taken a selfie. Unless you count dick pics, of course.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 3:09 am

jamest wrote:
The_Piper wrote:As long as you "play be the rules" of the forum, you won't be banned. Post away. I don't understand what you mean by #2. If you tell me which puppet isn't flawed? I think the legend has it that even Christ was flawed, no? I don't think either of us is a puppet.

I've not come here because I view the FUA as sacrament or reasonable. So, fuck the rules. Indeed, I come to such places to challenge said bollocks, as if that wasn't obvious from my tenure here alone.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why I'm still here. Nearly everyone dislikes me and I've even recently called the owner a cnut. Indeed, I was so convinced I'd be gone by now that I made a point of saying goodbye a couple of months back to several people, just in case they might miss me.

Whatever. The bottom-line is FUCK the rules. I'm not here as a slave to ANYONE or ANY IDEA.

Humanity will never really progress to any depth until each individual realises that.

Taking cool pics of yourself to post on social media, is not an indication of this happening any time soon.

No one is a slave to the forum. If I don't like the rules of the forum, I can simply choose not to post here. I haven't read the fua, but I've been here long enough to know that they're mostly to foster an environment for healthy debate. If everyone was calling each other names instead of conversing in good faith, it would be a waste of my time to read and post.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 3:13 am

I've taken some selfies. Mostly in front of big trees to show the scale. Shame on me for not getting one with Buddy the Woodchuck. :doh:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 20, 2018 3:14 am

jamest wrote:The bottom-line is FUCK the rules. I'm not here as a slave to ANYONE or ANY IDEA.

"Fuck the rules" and "I'll wag my finger at anyone who posts selfies online" do not seem the easiest of bedfellows.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#15  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 20, 2018 3:24 am

I don't think it's so much the selfie that's the issue, but the seeking of validation that often follows. If you've got any teenage relatives (particularly girls), you'll see it all the time. They'll post stuff and basically ask for/trade likes. It's all part of the popularity contest, insecurity and need for validation of growing up. That's always been the case, but the fact that social media allows it to actually be quantified could be a problem, because it links social validation with engagement with and willingness to surrender personal data and pictures to a massive corporation. But if you've known a teenage girl on Facebook for the duration of her adolescence and early adulthood, you'll realise that most of them grow out of it eventually. I don't know many 25 year-olds who are constantly posting pictures of themselves and taking hundreds of pictures just to get the one perfect one, unless they have a job that involves doing so.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2018 3:34 am

I have two nieces and two nephews, and only one of the nieces posts selfies, something like once a month or so. The last ones she posted were with her new puppy. :kitten:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby scott1328 » Mar 20, 2018 4:04 am

Self-righteous, self-important, narcissistic people exist.

Nosce te ipsum, Jacobe
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Mar 20, 2018 4:16 am

Puppy selfies are perfectly fine. As are kitty selfies and woodchuck selfies. People like this, however, are why we need to bring back the public whipping post.

guido.jpg
guido.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby romansh » Mar 20, 2018 4:27 am

Just wondering - are not some forms of idealism the ultimate selfie?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#20  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 20, 2018 6:13 am

romansh wrote:Just wondering - are not some forms of idealism the ultimate selfie?

Are you saying that God experiencing itself through the eyes and iPhones of other observed beings is the ultimate selfie? :think:

ETA Still, that's no excuse for the observed orchestrations of vanity and duck-face foisted upon Western society.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy