Plato's Forms: Airplanes?

Plato forms

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Plato's Forms: Airplanes?

#21  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 01, 2018 1:46 pm

duvduv wrote:Thank you for being so tolerant.........
I can guarantee you there are plenty of things which you could not figure out what they are used for.

On this site, we have a tradition of mocking BS, and your post was just that - you don't have to know what something does or is before you can perceive it as a thing. The question, "What is this?" would never occur if the thing not understood was not perceived at all.
I can't believe I'm having to say this!
Perhaps you are using the word, "perceive" to mean "know exactly what it is". However, that is not the only meaning of the word. It can mean merely "identify as an object of some kind". You may be thinking of to "perceive as...". The "as" makes all the difference.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby laklak » Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm

That vimana thingy bears a striking resemblance to the ship from Rendezvous With Rama. Coincidence?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Alan B » Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm

zoon wrote:The Meenakshi Temple looks like a fantastic place to visit.

It is. You can actually find women worshipping a giant phallus... :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Tracer Tong » Jan 20, 2018 1:47 pm

laklak wrote:
felltoearth wrote:I would say it doesn't figure in as it's a very naive form of metaphysics.

It's ancient, mouldering wibble. Never understood why we bother with it, other than as an historical curiosity.

How much Plato have you read?
Die Liebe ist nicht schön – es ist nur der Traum der Liebe, der entzückt
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby laklak » Jan 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Too much. At one point in my checkered academic life I was a philosophy major. Then I switched to Theology, because that was one of the few undergraduate majors that still gave you a draft deferment. They're similar disciplines, though Theology is, if anything, even more wibbleful. Eventually, as my frontal lobe matured (and they ended conscription), I grasped metaphysical concepts like "getting paid", "car loans", and "rent", and switched to civil engineering (after a detour through economics and a flirtation with business administration). Ah, the Newtonian purity of statics, the beauty of differential equations! Ended up a programmer, though, go figure.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby felltoearth » Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I had an option to do a Civil Eng grad degree after my land arch degree. I should have done it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Tracer Tong » Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm

laklak wrote:Too much. At one point in my checkered academic life I was a philosophy major. Then I switched to Theology, because that was one of the few undergraduate majors that still gave you a draft deferment. They're similar disciplines, though Theology is, if anything, even more wibbleful. Eventually, as my frontal lobe matured (and they ended conscription), I grasped metaphysical concepts like "getting paid", "car loans", and "rent", and switched to civil engineering (after a detour through economics and a flirtation with business administration). Ah, the Newtonian purity of statics, the beauty of differential equations! Ended up a programmer, though, go figure.

Perhaps you should revisit him sometime. I was always pretty indifferent to ancient philosophy, but some of Plato's dialogues are worth reading, such as the Laches. I'd suggest a decent, modern translation, though.
Die Liebe ist nicht schön – es ist nur der Traum der Liebe, der entzückt
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby laklak » Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm

As long as he was discussing governance or justice it was OK, when he starts on forms and other metaphysical mumbles he loses me.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jamest » Jan 27, 2018 2:03 am

This is retarded. I mean, the whole basis of Plato's thoughts here were surely grounded in concepts such as seatedness and flight, not fucking chairs and airplanes. Those are the essential forms, the springs of any forthcoming thought. If not, then I'm upgrading his thoughts to a higher level. Deal with that instead.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy