Sanity

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Sanity

#1  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 12:47 am

I've just stumbled upon a thread which held sanity in sway as a means of all sorts of social assessment. I don't wish to discuss the subject of that thread, but it did occur to me strongly that sanity itself cannot be known as a value except by those who know absolutely everything, which excludes virtually all of us. So, perhaps, question your own sanity prior to questioning it of others.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Sanity

#2  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks for telling us once again that, just like you can't know you won't get splattered if you step in front of a moving bus, you can't tell if a homeless guy on the corner ranting and raving gibberish at himself is insane. Your ability to reduce any concept to near meaninglessness is a sight to behold.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 1:25 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Thanks for telling us once again that, just like you can't know you won't get splattered if you step in front of a moving bus, you can't tell if a homeless guy on the corner ranting and raving gibberish at himself is insane. Your ability to reduce any concept to near meaninglessness is a sight to behold.

Stop trying to score personal points against me. The significant point is that 'sanity' is a value few here if anywhere, can talk about.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 1:44 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Thanks for telling us once again that, just like you can't know you won't get splattered if you step in front of a moving bus, you can't tell if a homeless guy on the corner ranting and raving gibberish at himself is insane. Your ability to reduce any concept to near meaninglessness is a sight to behold.

Stop trying to score personal points against me.

I'm not try to score personal points, I'm skewering your shitty idea that's derivative of your other shitty ideas.

The significant point is that 'sanity' is a value few here if anywhere, can talk about.

How is that a significant point? What does it even mean? It's not useful to tell me that before I determine the homeless guy across the street ranting and raving gibberish at himself is fucking insane, I should consider that maybe I'm the insane one. It's a completely vapid, useless bit of deepity.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jun 01, 2017 1:51 am

I'm sane. The rest of y'all, I ain't so sure.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 1:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:

Stop trying to score personal points against me.

I'm not try to score personal points, I'm skewering your shitty idea that's derivative of your other shitty ideas.

The significant point is that 'sanity' is a value few here if anywhere, can talk about.

How is that a significant point? What does it even mean? It's not useful to tell me that before I determine the homeless guy across the street ranting and raving gibberish at himself is fucking insane, I should consider that maybe I'm the insane one. It's a completely vapid, useless bit of deepity.

There are different qualities of shit. You obviously like the look and smell of your own, to the extent that you are full of it.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 2:32 am

Hey look, a vapid, useless response without a hope of answering my objections. Big surprise. Sleep it off, jamest.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Jun 01, 2017 8:34 am

To me sanity, let me remind that it would probably be beneficial to start with agreed upon definition, is not very useful concept. I do not use the word much if at all nor I think of it when assessing someones output. So instead of questioning sanity I question stuff like depth of analysis, validity of claims or point of view. Then again, I use the word idiot(s) a lot and yes I do consider my own idiocy when questioning others.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Jun 01, 2017 10:07 am

jamest wrote:

Stop trying to score personal points against me. The significant point is that 'sanity' is a value few here if anywhere, can talk about.

Then why are you?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby crank » Jun 01, 2017 11:45 am

Sanity is a social construct, and that's one of our species biggest problems.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 01, 2017 12:23 pm

crank wrote:Sanity is a social construct, and that's one of our species biggest problems.

And Hannity is a conservative talk show host, also a social construct. Not to mention, one of our species' biggest problems. After global warming. Global warming is going to help us re-define sanity. But there is no sanity clause.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Jun 01, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Rumraket » Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm

jamest wrote:I've just stumbled upon a thread which held sanity in sway as a means of all sorts of social assessment. I don't wish to discuss the subject of that thread, but it did occur to me strongly that sanity itself cannot be known as a value except by those who know absolutely everything

That can only occur to you if you have a definition of knowledge whereby knowledge requires omniscience. By that logic, no one knows anything, because none of us are omniscient. But c'mon, that would be a pretty silly requirement.

I know that I have the experience of reading this thread for example. And both of us know that Donald Trump is a fucking moron. And that chocolate tastes good and so on and so forth. If in your philosophy, none of these are "knowledge", then your definition of knowledge is practically worthless.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#13  Postby Rumraket » Jun 01, 2017 12:42 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Jamest wrote:
There are different qualities of shit. You obviously like the look and smell of your own, to the extent that you are full of it.
Hey look, a vapid, useless response without a hope of answering my objections. Big surprise. Sleep it off, jamest.

To be fair, it wasn't useless. Rather it was a textbook case of psychological projection and as such could be useful to professional psychologists.

I recommend institutionalization for jamest.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#14  Postby Thommo » Jun 01, 2017 1:54 pm

I've just stumbled upon a thread which held drunkenness in sway as a means of all sorts of social assessment. I don't wish to discuss the subject of that thread, but it did occur to me strongly that drunkenness itself cannot be known as a value except by those who know absolutely everything, which excludes virtually all of us. So, perhaps, question your own drunkenness prior to questioning it of others.
Thommo

Print view this post

#15  Postby jaydot » Jun 01, 2017 6:53 pm

"the whole world's mad, 'cept thee and me
and thou'rt a wee bit touched"

them yorkshire folk have the right of it.
jaydot

Print view this post

#16  Postby jamest » Jun 02, 2017 1:29 am

Thommo wrote:I've just stumbled upon a thread which held drunkenness in sway as a means of all sorts of social assessment. I don't wish to discuss the subject of that thread, but it did occur to me strongly that drunkenness itself cannot be known as a value except by those who know absolutely everything, which excludes virtually all of us. So, perhaps, question your own drunkenness prior to questioning it of others.

Well let's see which of us gets a formal warning. For no reason at all you've just accused me of being a drunk. And for no reason at all I'm [having been offended] going to accuse you of being a fucking wanker. With a small penis.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jamest » Jun 02, 2017 1:35 am

Fallible wrote:
jamest wrote:

Then why are you?

Because I'm smart, luv.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby jamest » Jun 02, 2017 2:06 am

What's really notable here is that I made a genuine effort to initiate an intelligent discussion and yet the usual suspects all immediately clamoured to gang-up and snuff it out, to the extent of undermining my character. That's really fucking deplorable, especially on page 1. You really should be ashamed of yourselves. If you're not, then get to fuck. I mean it.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 02, 2017 2:32 am

jamest wrote:What's really notable here is that I made a genuine effort to initiate an intelligent discussion and yet the usual suspects all immediately clamoured to gang-up and snuff it out, to the extent of undermining my character. That's really fucking deplorable, especially on page 1. You really should be ashamed of yourselves. If you're not, then get to fuck. I mean it.

Cloaking the same vapid assertion in different contexts over and over again is transparently not making a genuine effort to initiate an intelligent discussion. Intelligent people can see right through it, as you could tell if you read the replies instead of throwing yourself to the ground and screaming bloody martyr.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 02, 2017 7:52 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:I've just stumbled upon a thread which held drunkenness in sway as a means of all sorts of social assessment. I don't wish to discuss the subject of that thread, but it did occur to me strongly that drunkenness itself cannot be known as a value except by those who know absolutely everything, which excludes virtually all of us. So, perhaps, question your own drunkenness prior to questioning it of others.

Well let's see which of us gets a formal warning. For no reason at all you've just accused me of being a drunk.

What fantastical post have you been reading?

jamest wrote: And for no reason at all I'm [having been offended] going to accuse you of being a fucking wanker. With a small penis.

Ah yes, the eloquent argument of 'I know what you are, but what am I?' :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy