Self-evidence (main q)

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#401  Postby Regina » Apr 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Books contain much valuable information. Unfortunately those information do not pertain to life and existence.

I find that books tell you a lot about life and existence. Especially biology books. But not only those.

Information that pertains to the superficial do not even begin to scratch the surface.

Why is biology superficial? I find it very much the opposite, especially when it's applied biology, for example in medicine.
It has saved a number of people's lives that are dear to me. I wouldn't call that superficial.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#402  Postby Regina » Apr 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.

Why not now?
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#403  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Books contain much valuable information. Unfortunately those information do not pertain to life and existence.

I find that books tell you a lot about life and existence. Especially biology books. But not only those.

Information that pertains to the superficial do not even begin to scratch the surface.

Why is biology superficial? I find it very much the opposite, especially when it's applied biology, for example in medicine.
It has saved a number of people's lives that are dear to me. I wouldn't call that superficial.

Superficial in the context of which I am using it, refers only to appearances by the senses.
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#404  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Existence is a property of things: what the hell does that mean?


Take it up with the characters who cook up such concepts, not with me. Did you read the page at the link I posted?

Destroyer wrote:
I shall demonstrate to you that it is you who have no idea what you are talking about!!


You did not ask me my definition of "existence", you only stated, in gross and glaring contradiction to fact, that there is only one definition of existence.

My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

Please oh please demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be tickled pink.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad
 
Name: Cameron Bobro
Posts: 2545

Country: Slovenia
Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#405  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.

Why not now?

It will have no effect now; and so will be a complete waste of time. The required effect must come from personal observation.
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#406  Postby Regina » Apr 15, 2012 1:42 pm

@Destroyer: So how do you acquire knowledge, if not via your senses?
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#407  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:42 pm

lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Existence is a property of things: what the hell does that mean?


Take it up with the characters who cook up such concepts, not with me. Did you read the page at the link I posted?

Destroyer wrote:
I shall demonstrate to you that it is you who have no idea what you are talking about!!


You did not ask me my definition of "existence", you only stated, in gross and glaring contradiction to fact, that there is only one definition of existence.

My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

Please oh please demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be tickled pink.

Show me one definition of existence that does not include "that which exists".
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#408  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Regina wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b]Destroyer:[/b][/color] So how do you acquire knowledge, if not via your senses?

We all acquire knowledge via our senses. But knowledge that pertains to existence is non-existent except as mere assumptions, unless given a revelation.
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#409  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Existence is a property of things: what the hell does that mean?


Take it up with the characters who cook up such concepts, not with me. Did you read the page at the link I posted?

Destroyer wrote:
I shall demonstrate to you that it is you who have no idea what you are talking about!!


You did not ask me my definition of "existence", you only stated, in gross and glaring contradiction to fact, that there is only one definition of existence.

My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

Please oh please demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be tickled pink.

Show me one definition of existence that does not include "that which exists".


Now you've gone from "is" to "includes". At any rate, no definition of "existence" includes "that which exists" as definitive or presumed other than those definitions (usually about #3 or 4 in a dictionary) in which "existence" is more or less equated with "universe", "reality", etc.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad
 
Name: Cameron Bobro
Posts: 2545

Country: Slovenia
Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#410  Postby Regina » Apr 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]Destroyer:[/b][/color][/b][/color] So how do you acquire knowledge, if not via your senses?

We all acquire knowledge via our senses. But knowledge that pertains to existence is non-existent except as mere assumptions, unless given a revelation.

Ah, finally we are getting somewhere :thumbup:
Revelations.
The clue is in the word! :lol:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#411  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Holy guacomole, man, do you see ONE definition here?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/existence
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad
 
Name: Cameron Bobro
Posts: 2545

Country: Slovenia
Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#412  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Continue to believe as you will. The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.


I have asked you before. When? December 2012? :lol:
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#413  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.


Yer killing me man. WTF?
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#414  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.


Image
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 29554
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#415  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:56 pm

lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Existence is a property of things: what the hell does that mean?


Take it up with the characters who cook up such concepts, not with me. Did you read the page at the link I posted?

Destroyer wrote:
I shall demonstrate to you that it is you who have no idea what you are talking about!!


You did not ask me my definition of "existence", you only stated, in gross and glaring contradiction to fact, that there is only one definition of existence.

My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

Please oh please demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be tickled pink.

Show me one definition of existence that does not include "that which exists".


Now you've gone from "is" to "includes". At any rate, no definition of "existence" includes "that which exists" as definitive or presumed other than those definitions (usually about #3 or 4 in a dictionary) in which "existence" is more or less equated with "universe", "reality", etc.

The reason that I used the word includes was simply to allow you some slack. I still insist that the only definition of existence that is worth its salt is "that which exists". You say that there are other definitions. Please present them!!
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#416  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 15, 2012 1:56 pm

lobawad wrote:
My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

:cheers: Love it.
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#417  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.


Image

It does ring a bell; doesn't it.
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#418  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Let me guess who has had The Revelation. We have a full-on End Is Nigh Bleaver here.

They have some amazing new medications for this sort of thing.
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#419  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:00 pm

lobawad wrote:Holy guacomole, man, do you see ONE definition here?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/existence

I have no interest in what is there. I want you to present a definition of existence that varies from "that which exists".
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#420  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:02 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:Let me guess who has had The Revelation. We have a full-on End Is Nigh Bleaver here.

They have some amazing new medications for this sort of thing.

I am not averse to taking any medication; if indeed it will help.
Destroyer
 
Name: Patrick Mills
Posts: 1838
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest