Self-evidence (main q)

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#421  Postby Regina » Apr 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Regina wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
The time for humanity's education about life and existence is soon at hand.

Care to elaborate?

Yes. When the time comes.

Which translates into a massive business opportunity for all kinds of foils, I tellz ya!
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Re: Self-evidence (main q)

#422  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:

Take it up with the characters who cook up such concepts, not with me. Did you read the page at the link I posted?

You did not ask me my definition of "existence", you only stated, in gross and glaring contradiction to fact, that there is only one definition of existence.

My definition of existence is "a jive-ass word signifying a pseudo-concept the primary purpose of which is to smuggle gods and/or mentally ill solipsist/idealist drek into every damn discussion".

Please oh please demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be tickled pink.

Show me one definition of existence that does not include "that which exists".

Now you've gone from "is" to "includes". At any rate, no definition of "existence" includes "that which exists" as definitive or presumed other than those definitions (usually about #3 or 4 in a dictionary) in which "existence" is more or less equated with "universe", "reality", etc.

The reason that I used the word includes was simply to allow you some slack. I still insist that the only definition of existence that is worth its salt is "that which exists". You say that there are other definitions. Please present them!!

Er, do you have difficulty clicking on links? There are five definitions of "existence" at the second link I gave, and gods know how many at the first (Stanford online philosophy encyclopedia). Plus I gave you my definition. So you've been presented with what, at least a dozen definitions.

It does not matter one bit if you think that none of these definitions is worth its salt, for your statement was that there is only definition of existence, and this is simply not true. Your definition of "existence" seems to be synonymous with "the universe", more of a poetic usage of the word, and an eccentric way to use the word in a philosophical discussion: "Existence". It's like "Creation".
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#423  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:07 pm

lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Show me one definition of existence that does not include "that which exists".

Now you've gone from "is" to "includes". At any rate, no definition of "existence" includes "that which exists" as definitive or presumed other than those definitions (usually about #3 or 4 in a dictionary) in which "existence" is more or less equated with "universe", "reality", etc.

The reason that I used the word includes was simply to allow you some slack. I still insist that the only definition of existence that is worth its salt is "that which exists". You say that there are other definitions. Please present them!!

Er, do you have difficulty clicking on links? There are five definitions of "existence" at the second link I gave, and gods know how many at the first (Stanford online philosophy encyclopedia). Plus I gave you my definition. So you've been presented with what, at least a dozen definitions.

It does not matter one bit if you think that none of these definitions is worth its salt, for your statement was that there is only definition of existence, and this is simply not true. Your definition of "existence" seems to be synonymous with "the universe", more of a poetic usage of the word, and an eccentric way to use the word in a philosophical discussion: "Existence". It's like "Creation".

All this talk; and I have yet to see ONE definition of existence that varies from "that which exists".
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#424  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:

All this talk; and I have yet to see ONE definition of existence that varies from "that which exists".

"continuance in being or life; life"
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#425  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:12 pm

ex·ist·ence   [ig-zis-tuhns]
noun
the state or fact of existing; being.
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#426  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:12 pm

mode of existing: They were working for a better existence.
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#427  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:13 pm

to have being in a specified place or under certain conditions; be found; occur:
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#428  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:13 pm

lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

"continuance in being or life; life"

How does that exclude "that which exists"?
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#429  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:18 pm

We can all use words in various ways. But if the meaning is synonymous then it makes not the slightest difference.
Last edited by Destroyer on Apr 15, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#430  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Destroyer wrote:

Anecdotes, anecdotes. I don't want to hear anecdotes about whatever it is you think you have yet to see.

Destroyer wrote:
How does that exclude "that which exists"?

The problem with this has to do with the word 'exist'. I think you will define it as 'to have existence'. You do know what 25 cents and a circular trip around the dictionary will get you: A brightly coloured gumball. Don't dislocate your jaw whilst chewing it.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#431  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Anecdotes, anecdotes. I don't want to hear anecdotes about whatever it is you think you have yet to see.

Maybe you can help out lobawad with your wisdom. Help him to provide a definition of existence that is not synonymous with "that which exists".
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#432  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Maybe you can help out lobawad with your wisdom. Help him to provide a definition of existence that is not synonymous with "that which exists".

See above, and my problem with the word 'exist'.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#433  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

See above, and my problem with the word 'exist'.

If we choose, we can all have problems with any word.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#434  Postby lobawad » Apr 15, 2012 2:29 pm

"That which exists" is circular and meaningless without defining "exists", and defining "exists" is a huge philosophical broo-ha-ha.
Sorry Destroyer, I am not buying your profound ignorance and lack of understanding as some kind of... revelation.

And yes, we can indeed have problems with any word. We do have problems with words. "Accept my naive and unread definition" doesn't fly.
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#435  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Destroyer wrote:

Well, can we choose to have problems with any word or not? Your problem solving ability in this department has not shown up. All we know is that the end is nigh. It always is, my man, so you don't get lots of points for saying the end is nigh. You've defined the word 'existence' in terms of the root word in 'existence', namely 'exist'. Let's get those gumballs a-rolling.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 15, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#436  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:31 pm

lobawad wrote:"That which exists" is circular and meaningless without defining "exists", and defining "exists" is a huge philosophical broo-ha-ha.
Sorry Destroyer, I am not buying your profound ignorance and lack of understanding as some kind of... revelation.

And yes, we can indeed have problems with any word. We do have problems with words. "Accept my naive and unread definition" doesn't fly.

To exist is simply to "BE". There is no other definition under the sun!!!
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#437  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Well, can we choose to have problems with any word or not? Your problem solving ability in this department has not shown up. All we know is that the end is nigh. It always is, my man, so you don't get lots of points for saying the end is nigh.

That's true.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#438  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Destroyer wrote:
lobawad wrote:"That which exists" is circular and meaningless without defining "exists", and defining "exists" is a huge philosophical broo-ha-ha.

Yeah, well: To be is to exist, so there. This copulative verb is also used for predication, e.g., "That man is an idiot." And it is also used to specify equality, as in, "2 plus 2 is 4". Above, you are using the word is to say "2 is 2" or "2 is 1 plus 1" or "2 is 4 minus 2". Get my drift?
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 15, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#439  Postby Destroyer » Apr 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Yeah, well: To be is to exist, so there. This copulative verb is also used for predication, e.g., "That man is an idiot."

Is that not what I have been saying all along?. "That man is an idiot" could very well be reversed for "that man is a unique genius".
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#440  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Yeah, well: To be is to exist, so there. This copulative verb is also used for predication, e.g., "That man is an idiot."

Is that not what I have been saying all along?

No, it is manifestly not what you have been saying all along. All along, you have been saying "a rose is a rose". Or, more floridly (no pun intended) "to be a rose is to exist as a rose".
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 15, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy