Shakespeare's Stage

Let's get naked

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Shakespeare's Stage

#1  Postby jamest » Jul 15, 2018 1:50 am

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

... Love it.
So, who here wants to become naked? That is, who here feels like discarding their costumes? If not, why not? I mean, wtf are you hiding from us?
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Shakespeare's Stage

#2  Postby felltoearth » Jul 15, 2018 2:29 am

I’m naked now. What are you wearing?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Jul 15, 2018 4:01 am

I only got the radio on.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2018 5:31 am

Hermit wrote:I only got the radio on.
Attachments
Road.jpg
Road.jpg (188.6 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Pebble » Jul 15, 2018 7:24 am

The costumes are generalisations reflecting progression through stages of social obligation, so one has to take what nakedness would look like. The closest I see is Trump - still revelling in his infantile pursuit of self gratification and self glorification while consciously or subconsciously ignoring reality. Taken to further extremes, this would also involve no planning for the future, and a refusal to negotiate.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2018 8:15 am

Pebble wrote:The costumes are generalisations reflecting progression through stages of social obligation, so one has to take what nakedness would look like. The closest I see is Trump - still revelling in his infantile pursuit of self gratification and self glorification while consciously or subconsciously ignoring reality. Taken to further extremes, this would also involve no planning for the future, and a refusal to negotiate.

What's Trump doing in this thread? We have several other threads about Trump onto which you can append your sage analysis. I'm not saying your analysis isn't a good one, but seeing as how this thread is in the Philosophy subforum, it is not a serious thread, you serious cat, you. From a while ago, but only four decades, instead of four centuries:

All the world's a VAX,
And all the coders merely butchers;
They have their exits and their entrails;
And one int in his time plays many widths,
His sizeof being N bytes. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the Regent's arms.
And then the whining schoolboy, with his Sun,
And shining morning face, creeping like slug
Unwillingly to school.
-- A Very Annoyed PDP-11

This just illustrates that people have not lately started making fun of Shakespeare's big speech. Maybe Shakespeare was making fun of somebody, too.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Pebble » Jul 15, 2018 9:17 am

Cito di Pense wrote: ...but seeing as how this thread is in the Philosophy subforum, it is not a serious thread, .....

Perhaps you should ask the mods to move philosophy to the social and fun section?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2018 9:26 am

Pebble wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote: ...but seeing as how this thread is in the Philosophy subforum, it is not a serious thread, .....

Perhaps you should ask the mods to move philosophy to the social and fun section?

No need, since there isn't a big sign on the door to the Philosophy sub-forum saying "Serious inquiries only". If Philosophy can't be playful, what good is it? If I'd known you were going to stay so serious, I would have deployed a nice philosophical word like "necessarily" in saying this is not a serious thread. I mean, look at the subtitle of this thread.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Pebble » Jul 15, 2018 10:09 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Pebble wrote:

No need, since there isn't a big sign on the door to the Philosophy sub-forum saying "Serious inquiries only". If Philosophy can't be playful, what good is it? If I'd known you were going to stay so serious, I would have deployed a nice philosophical word like "necessarily" in saying this is not a serious thread. I mean, look at the subtitle of this thread.

Have done, hence my reply. Knowing Jamest - I can comprehend his meaning.

As to Philosophy - I think like religion, it is worth making fun of, but as playful indulgence of the 'substance' - I'll pass on that game.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Pebble wrote:Perhaps you should ask the mods to move philosophy to the social and fun section?

The thought of suggesting to have the thread moved to the social and fun section has occurred to me, but not on account of the subtitle, "Let's get naked". When done in public, getting naked can have serious repercussions. I speak from personal experience. Two of them, actually. One resulted in my arrest, the other in a lot of pain. Knowing that none of you are interested I'll spare you the details.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Pebble wrote:Perhaps you should ask the mods to move philosophy to the social and fun section?

The thought of suggesting to have the thread moved to the social and fun section has occurred to me, but not on account of the subtitle, "Let's get naked". When done in public, getting naked can have serious repercussions. I speak from personal experience. Two of them, actually. One resulted in my arrest, the other in a lot of pain. Knowing that none of you are interested I'll spare you the details.

This is the internet. If somebody says he or she is 'getting naked', it's OK to believe it, if that's what floats your boat.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#12  Postby scott1328 » Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

POINH
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Hermit » Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

POINH

Both incidents occurred in the early 1970s. There was a dearth of smartphone wielding passers-by.

I still have a (somewhat inaccurate) transcript of the court case arising from one of the incidents though, and some photos of the cabin I stayed in when my bum was so sore I could not sit on it for three days after the second.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby jamest » Jul 16, 2018 11:33 pm

All I see here is people wearing Fig leafs. That's not good enough. Up your games or fuck off.

eta: the invitation to get naked was of course a metaphor for discarding your 'brain' of its clothing. As if that wasn't fucking obvious. :nono:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

You first. Let's see if you can slip out of that ill-fitting "I'm a lone wolf with a lesson for you" leisure suit you insist on wearing.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby jamest » Jul 17, 2018 12:14 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:You first. Let's see if you can slip out of that ill-fitting "I'm a lone wolf with a lesson for you" leisure suit you insist on wearing.

I've been leading you retards out of the dark ages ever since I met you all. I don't need to prove that I don't wear your clothing.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 17, 2018 1:15 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:You first. Let's see if you can slip out of that ill-fitting "I'm a lone wolf with a lesson for you" leisure suit you insist on wearing.

I've been leading you retards out of the dark ages ever since I met you all. I don't need to prove that I don't wear your clothing.

Great example of exactly what I was talking about. Your pretentious garb does you no favors. Better work on yourself before pretending you're in any position to advise others on what they wear, no?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jul 17, 2018 4:32 am

jamest wrote:All I see here is people wearing Fig leafs. That's not good enough. Up your games or fuck off.

eta: the invitation to get naked was of course a metaphor for discarding divesting your 'brain' of its clothing. As if that wasn't fucking obvious. :nono:

I would use something like "divesting" instead of "discarding", but then I make these sorts of goofs constantly. And I would've looked for a speech that speaks directly to costumes, artifice and "playing" without the thick and tangled interpretive history of life-stages and so on. If you're about some sort of nakedness, you could get by without dressing up your OP with Shakespeare. ;)

But, anyway, what do you think this nakedness looks like?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

jamest wrote:

You couldn't lead water down a plughole.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby felltoearth » Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am

jamest wrote:All I see here is people wearing Fig leafs. That's not good enough. Up your games or fuck off.

eta: the invitation to get naked was of course a metaphor for discarding your 'brain' of its clothing. As if that wasn't fucking obvious. :nono:

Wears figs and leaves.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy