Socrates is the problem

The ultimate destruction of the self on the altar of intellectualism

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Socrates is the problem

#441  Postby Fallible » Sep 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Why would you rely on someone else's state of mind to determine your own?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#442  Postby Thommo » Sep 14, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't know. Is it wrong that I'm considering applying an ice cube to my upper torso area to find out? :ask:
Thommo

Print view this post

#443  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 15, 2018 12:06 am

Isn't that more of an ethics question than philosophy?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#444  Postby Thommo » Sep 15, 2018 12:08 am

Ethics is an area of philosophy!

Also: Not a serious question.
Thommo

Print view this post

#445  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 15, 2018 12:17 am

Yes, yes... I know. Slow night and I'm just being a smart ass. So you were seriously considering the ice cubes?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#446  Postby Thommo » Sep 15, 2018 12:20 am

No. I doubt it would do much, and I wouldn't feel guilty for trying.
Thommo

Print view this post

#447  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 15, 2018 12:25 am

I almost missed that :)

The conjunction threw me for a second.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#448  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 15, 2018 3:22 am

jamest wrote:I have never, at any point, said that 'I', James, am God.

True that. Your song has more been along the lines of "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together". That song would have been great if it had just stopped there, but in those heady days, L&M were the quintessential backyard barbecue experimentalists. Remember that conversation we once had about barbecuing? Some people don't know when they should quit. Don't imagine for a minute that I exclude our oneselves.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#449  Postby Thommo » Sep 15, 2018 4:04 am

On the other hand, he recently has actually said that (among other occasions). I suspect he didn't mean that, but then if what he means to say is "I have never actually meant that", then he should say that he never meant it, not say that he never said it.

See what I mean?
Thommo

Print view this post

#450  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 15, 2018 4:39 am

Thommo wrote:On the other hand, he recently has actually said that (among other occasions). I suspect he didn't mean that, but then if what he means to say is "I have never actually meant that", then he should say that he never meant it, not say that he never said it.

See what I mean?

Oh, say, can I see?

I see meaning as a gigantic hurricane dumping half a meter of the rainfall of empty verbiage over the vast plains of philosophy. I'm tellin' ya, the former world shall be washed clean and pass away.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#451  Postby Thommo » Sep 15, 2018 4:54 am

I see what you mean. It's a veritable sea of meaning.
Thommo

Print view this post

#452  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 15, 2018 5:10 am

Thommo wrote:I see what you mean. It's a veritable sea of meaning.

Yes, meaning is fluid. One can curl it into a vortex of vagueness until spinning semantics silences certainties.

Socrates says so.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#453  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 15, 2018 12:42 pm

james wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
james wrote:
KIR no cunt on here has the balls to meet you

Try to remember that we are a rational forum not a dating site

My interest in KIR is entirely due to him being an HONEST/OPEN victim of Westernism in 2018 UK who actively seeks change
It is in my nature to help such people and to want to meet them

There was a time when I would have helped you but then I quickly discovered that you are nothing like that and have no interest in changing anyway except within parameters which YOU decide. That is you are beyond being helped so I choose
not to bother

Just dont dare any more devoid of understanding SIMPLY take the piss when I try to help people because otherwise I will stop thinking that you are essentially good albeit devoid of intelligence and I will just grab the first thing that comes out of the freezer. And that thing will go further than the sun shines rest assured

Now when exactly did you decide to become a Good Samaritan because I seem to have missed that for some reason. Your narrative for the last twenty years has been that materialism is a load of bollocks and every single atheist that you have engaged in discourse with has treated you with total contempt as a consequence. You are therefore far too angry to be anything like a Good Samaritan. You have a persecution complex of Herculean proportions so it needs to go before you
can even think about helping others. Now to be fair you did perform a selfless act of generosity for KIR for which I will unconditionally congratulate you for. However that was an isolated incident and one swallow does not a summer make
my pretty little cherub

I love how you casually claim to have considered helping me. Implicit in there is the assumption that you could have helped
Pray do tell how long have you been a psychiatrist / psychologist / therapist / counsellor for because inquiring minds would love to know. You claim that I only want help within parameters I decide upon. But wherever help comes from it would have
to meet with my approval anyway. I cannot give consent to help I do not want now can I

I am not sure what help you would provide me with anyway but I can assure you that my state of mind is far healthier than yours if our respective posting histories are any thing to go by. You are by a country mile the angriest member of the forum and yet you deem yourself qualified enough to help me with my mental health. And so I therefore say to you physician heal thyself before dispensing judgement upon others. I wonder what a psychiatrist would make of your Pavlovian desire to shove badgers up arses every time someone has the sheer gall to question your logic

This is me now so shall we see how many apply to you too. No bullshit just be honest and tell the truth

I am less opinionated than I have ever been
I am less judgemental than I have ever been
I am not interested in argument only in conversation
I have no high opinion of myself and do not think I am special in any way
I accept total responsibility for everything that has ever happened to me
I blame no one but myself for my failings in life and want to learn from them

At least three of those cannnot be said of you so maybe it is I who should be giving you advice not you me. Except I dont give advice as that would be very presumptuous of me and also because it is not my place to tell others how to think because this is what they have a mind for. I refuse to give advice even if I am asked to

You wanting to shove a badger up my arse for taking the piss [ I were being sardonic so guilty as charged me lord ] is evidence enough that you are not qualified to be passing judgement upon anyones mental health. Idealism is your thing not psychology
Sometimes it best to stay within ones area of expertise and not venture outside no matter how great the temptation may be

I shall finish on a positive note while you are raiding the freezer. You are a really wonderful asset to the forum constantly challenging the materialist / atheist narrative the rest of us plebs buy into. I mean this entirely sincerely with absolutely zero hint of malice or irony. But when you spout total bollocks you will get called out on it just the same as anybody else would and indeed routinely does. Contrary to what the never ending loop in your head keeps telling you you do not have
a monopoly on wisdom. None of us do. And so try to remember that if you can the next time you read a post such as this

For my penance I will take two badgers instead of the usual one but make sure they are the smallest you have if you can
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#454  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 15, 2018 2:26 pm

jamest wrote::a flood of apparently livid, FUA violating disparaging insults directed at yours truly:

I will not be meeting with you jamest. I now actually think the true reason you sent me that Christmas present was in order to attempt to assert some authority over me. I said I was up for meeting with you, and that I would travel to your area of the country for that opportunity. You then "went off the idea" once I told you that, no, I'm not skint ATM and can pay at least half of the expenses, calling me a "posh cunt", in jest ostensibly, as I've been to New York as a teen and do not share your working-class upbringing. You later suggest we should meet, again, and that I couldn't possibly wish to refuse the suggestion because it'd be "free" for me. I am not a "victim" as you called me last night; it just feels good for you to think of me as such I think. I also, of course, remember what you said to Fallible that time, if she's referring to the comment I think she is, and, well...yeah.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#455  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 15, 2018 3:12 pm

He turns up with some actual badgers start running as fast as you can

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#456  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 15, 2018 4:38 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
He turns up with some actual badgersstart running as fast as you can

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FIFY :)
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#457  Postby jamest » Sep 18, 2018 12:29 am

Keep It Real wrote:
jamest wrote::a flood of apparently livid, FUA violating disparaging insults directed at yours truly:

I will not be meeting with you jamest. I now actually think the true reason you sent me that Christmas present was in order to attempt to assert some authority over me. I said I was up for meeting with you, and that I would travel to your area of the country for that opportunity. You then "went off the idea" once I told you that, no, I'm not skint ATM and can pay at least half of the expenses, calling me a "posh cunt", in jest ostensibly, as I've been to New York as a teen and do not share your working-class upbringing. You later suggest we should meet, again, and that I couldn't possibly wish to refuse the suggestion because it'd be "free" for me. I am not a "victim" as you called me last night; it just feels good for you to think of me as such I think. I also, of course, remember what you said to Fallible that time, if she's referring to the comment I think she is, and, well...yeah.

Wow. What a load of bullshit.

You're not the first person I've sent money to in a forum. Somebody in rationalia might probably be able to verify this - I sent a noteworthy amount to someone overseas a few years back who I didn't even converse with much, still don't (haven't posted there hardly at all in the last couple of years). I'm also sending X amount of money per month to an African charity, as I've been doing so for almost a decade. I've also sent several hundreds of pounds to Oxfam in the last decade. I don't do these these things for any self-promotional reasons and it even embarrasses me to mention them, but you're calling me a cunt so I'm having to be honest/open.

I'm a guy who lives in a council house. A few years back, we qualified for tax credits. I'm not rich, never have been. I guess that impression has been gleaned from my one-month holiday in North America this summer, but that holiday was a consequence of me spending an unexpected fund on my family (family holiday-of-a-lifetime job). I've got a few grand left and thought about buying a caravan, but have changed my mind since, but rest assured that I'm far from rich.

I've privately told you that if we meet that I won't be mentioning God/philosophy and that I'd be doing it for the sake of us BOTH. That's right, BOTH. You know this is true and if it comes to it I'll expose the pm which shows it to be so.

You've seriously let me down. I therefore no longer give a fuck whether you want to meet me. If I were the vindictive type, as most here are, I'd even be gunning to get you; but I'm not and shall not be. I'll continue to make you look like a cunt though if you should talk bullshit about myself or my philosophy, so take heed. If you choose not to speak to me again then goodbye. I wish the best for you, regardless.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#458  Postby jamest » Sep 18, 2018 12:40 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Now when exactly did you decide to become a Good Samaritan because I seem to have missed that for some reason. Your narrative for the last twenty years has been that materialism is a load of bollocks and every single atheist that you have engaged in discourse with has treated you with total contempt as a consequence. You are therefore far too angry to be anything like a Good Samaritan.

You seem to think that it's odd for someone to be angry when some tight-arse such as yourself decides to judge 'me' based upon my philosophical opinions as stated within the philosophy forum here for about a decade, as if there were nothing to 'me' other than my idealism.

You have your own stated problems, so I won't call you a retard. Just please think about what you're saying. You know fuck all about james. You know even less about the hand up his arse. So, with all due respect, please stfu.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#459  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 18, 2018 1:22 am

I came here looking for some ridiculous jamest drunk posting, was not disappointed :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#460  Postby felltoearth » Sep 18, 2018 2:26 am

jamest wrote:
You have your own stated problems, so I won't call you a retard.

How magnanimous of you.

Really, you deserve a medal.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy