The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#1  Postby jamest » Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

We're all tired of the bullshit and the bullshitters who have a preference for some form of politics.

That's right, it's all bullshit. If I'd have been born in the 19th century and have heard Lincoln's wanking-the-mind speeches, or even Churchill's 80 years on, I might have been dumb enough to fly the flag. But you can ALL fuck off now. It's gotten to the stage where I'd much rather sit on a fucking rug three times a day and face East for 5 minutes, listening to any bollocks, than put up with the fucking bullshit I hear on the news any more about Western politicians. The fucking lot of them are cunts.

There are doomsday predictions about the weather/war etc. every day, but my prediction is that social media will ultimately fuel a revolution whereby all bollocks (including religious) will be cut off. In the end there will be an elected leader of the people for the people. I sincerely hope that no experience of pain is involved, but history indicates that this is the likely outcome. Regardless, he or she won't be representing the USA, he or she will be representing the whole planet.

That's the future: One ruler for One planet.

It's not even necessarily a spiritual prediction. I mean, all we need is a level of disgust sufficient to progress thus. I'm quite convinced that many of us have reached that already.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#2  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2018 12:31 am

A boot stamping on a human face - forever.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20391
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#3  Postby jamest » Aug 31, 2018 12:46 am

What do you mean, squire?
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#4  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2018 1:59 am

From 1984, If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face - forever. You'll have to forgive me, I just reread it for the first time in probably 30 years, hits too close to home for comfort. The other quote that struck me was "in a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20391
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#5  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 4:02 am

Turn off the TV and back away. I don't watch broadcast news. I don't understand how people can.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13194
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#6  Postby Thommo » Aug 31, 2018 5:20 am

I'm not convinced by a lot of this. I have a preference for one form of politics - liberal, free, democratic, intelligent, mature, rational and evidence based, but that leaves open a lot of different positions someone could take. On the other hand I think it's safe to say I don't like bullshit (pretty much by the definition of bullshit), and there's at least one form of politics I can't stand (Nazism, communism to name a couple).

I've no idea what the East/West divide is supposed to represent here either. Japan doesn't seem all that different in a lot of ways, and I'd certainly take either Japan or a typical Western country over China or North Korea, or Venezuela.

I don't really know what the future will bring, and I'm firmly convinced nobody else does either. Uncertainty grows exponentially into the future, but the near future shows few signs of a one world government, I don't think it would be easy to convince Xi or Putin or Kim to give up power, and it's not exactly clear what problems such a government would actually be able to solve anyway.

I don't see any signs of social media causing a democratic revolution though, not least because you can't overthrow democracy to impose democracy. I think history is more likely to inform us than speculation. When resources become scarce humans have usually factionalised, preferring their tribes and especially their kin, and they have competed aggressively for the remaining resources, which has often led to war. The question remains whether resources will be made scarce by the end of the oil energy boom, the damage that is being done to the climate and the increasing overpopulation of the planet. My fear is that they will and my hope is that they won't.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26885

Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#7  Postby Hermit » Aug 31, 2018 7:40 am

jamest wrote:...my prediction is that social media will ultimately fuel a revolution whereby all bollocks (including religious) will be cut off. In the end there will be an elected leader of the people for the people. I sincerely hope that no experience of pain is involved, but history indicates that this is the likely outcome. Regardless, he or she won't be representing the USA, he or she will be representing the whole planet.

That's the future: One ruler for One planet.

Dream on. We have one ruler for this one planet already, but it's not a person. It's the global economy. The social media are owned and manipulated by it, not for the benefit of democracy or any other high-faluting ideal, but the bottom line. In principle the past will be like the future - haves lording it over the havenots. If the latter get anywhere near becoming unmanageable the internet will be restricted or cut off entirely. Here and there this is already happening on a national scale. In the future national borders won't matter. Nodes and access controls will.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3707
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#8  Postby jamest » Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm

Thommo wrote:I'm not convinced by a lot of this. I have a preference for one form of politics - liberal, free, democratic, intelligent, mature, rational and evidence based, but that leaves open a lot of different positions someone could take. On the other hand I think it's safe to say I don't like bullshit (pretty much by the definition of bullshit), and there's at least one form of politics I can't stand (Nazism, communism to name a couple)

I've just come back from the USA - that showpiece democracy which is supposedly the home of liberalism and the free - and apart from there being plenty of money for a minority of its populace, I'm wondering what it is about that which still has you hooked in, line and sinker?

Politics is utterly corrupt and unfair and I will never place my trust in any system which allows a minority of its population to be homeless and starving, with the majority just plodding on, so that a minority can live 'the dream'. Fuck that shit.

I've no idea what the East/West divide is supposed to represent here either. Japan doesn't seem all that different in a lot of ways, and I'd certainly take either Japan or a typical Western country over China or North Korea, or Venezuela.ote the

The term 'East/West politics' was meant to denote the whole gamut of political experience across the globe. I accept that I could and should have made that clearer.

I don't really know what the future will bring, and I'm firmly convinced nobody else does either.

We've as a whole been trusting rulers/governments for millennia and the fucking lot of them have taken the piss and still are. Even the communists, supposedly the epitome of being "for the people".

Uncertainty grows exponentially into the future, but the near future shows few signs of a one world government, I don't think it would be easy to convince Xi or Putin or Kim to give up power, and it's not exactly clear what problems such a government would actually be able to solve anyway.

Well, my prediction wasn't for next week. It's just that social media, which is relatively new even here in The West, now allows for strong collective ideas opposed to the status quo. Indeed, if I remember correctly social media was directly instrumental in causing the Egyptian revolution which occurred a half-dozen+ years ago. It certainly comes as no surprise to me that you sometimes hear about governments imposing severe internet restrictions/bans in places like North Korea in order to prevent the spread of negative propaganda.

The significant thing with social media is that it allows for 'common people' from all around the world to communicate on a regular basis, to share experiences and ideas. As time progresses, more and more people across the globe are acquiring access to this means of communication. One assumes that in a handful of decades it will be as common a theme across Third World countries as it is here in The West, where nearly everyone has a phone/pc and access to the internet.

People in general are not utterly ignorant any more. They won't put up with shite for very long when they can connect with masses who feel the same way, who are willing en masse to do something to change said shite. Even when we were still largely ignorant and had few if any means to evaluate opinions, massive revolutions still occurred. There's plenty of evidence of that in your history books. So don't underestimate the value of social media. It's going to have a big impact on the politics of the future, globally.

In my opinion, this Trump malarkey epitomises the madness and greed/corruptness/injustice of 'democracy' (not that you cannot find evidence of its many flaws throughout history in general), to the extent that many people are fucked-off with the whole shebang. It's fubar on a plate, every night on the news. How the fuck you can still buy into the ideals of democracy is a mystery to me. Perhaps you're one of those few rich people enjoying the material benefits of its ideals, in which case you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting a political ideal for your OWN ends. I dunno, but from where I'm sat democracy looks like it's rapidly sinking down the plug-hole. And thank fuck I live in an era which allows me to evaluate the situation, and not just for myself, james.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#9  Postby jamest » Sep 01, 2018 12:40 am

Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:...my prediction is that social media will ultimately fuel a revolution whereby all bollocks (including religious) will be cut off. In the end there will be an elected leader of the people for the people. I sincerely hope that no experience of pain is involved, but history indicates that this is the likely outcome. Regardless, he or she won't be representing the USA, he or she will be representing the whole planet.

That's the future: One ruler for One planet.

Dream on. We have one ruler for this one planet already, but it's not a person. It's the global economy. The social media are owned and manipulated by it, not for the benefit of democracy or any other high-faluting ideal, but the bottom line. In principle the past will be like the future - haves lording it over the havenots. If the latter get anywhere near becoming unmanageable the internet will be restricted or cut off entirely.

This won't happen in the future as already there are global solutions to local restrictions/prices. For instance, I've just recently as a UK citizen purchased a sim from Germany which allowed me to use my phone and mobile data in North America, including Canada and Mexico. The same company also seemed to supply sims for almost the whole world. The point being that nearly ALL the governments in the World will be recquired to get together in order to stop this practise. In which case by then, if it happens, we'll be on the brink of a global revolution anyway. In which case, it will happen, soon enough.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#10  Postby Hermit » Sep 01, 2018 2:29 am

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:...my prediction is that social media will ultimately fuel a revolution whereby all bollocks (including religious) will be cut off. In the end there will be an elected leader of the people for the people. I sincerely hope that no experience of pain is involved, but history indicates that this is the likely outcome. Regardless, he or she won't be representing the USA, he or she will be representing the whole planet.

That's the future: One ruler for One planet.

Dream on. We have one ruler for this one planet already, but it's not a person. It's the global economy. The social media are owned and manipulated by it, not for the benefit of democracy or any other high-faluting ideal, but the bottom line. In principle the past will be like the future - haves lording it over the havenots. If the latter get anywhere near becoming unmanageable the internet will be restricted or cut off entirely.

This won't happen in the future...

Here is the news: It is happening right now.

Google is about to be allowed back in to China. There's just one condition: It has to conduct censorship on behalf of the Chinese government. Right now Google is preparing to do exactly that (Source).

Since 2016 rulers of 13 African nations have used an even more blunt instrument on 21 occasions by switching the internet off completely to thwart unruly plebs from getting organised (Source).

There isn't a nation in the world that is incapable of doing the same when push comes to shove. It's simply a matter of telling its population that there is a very dangerous enemy threatening whatever principles are held dear by it and invoking emergency laws. Every country has those.

How easy it is to bullshit the masses has been demonstrated time and time again. Herman Goering described the underlying principle succinctly in 1945:
Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

The masses are easily led - and mislead.

What is more, there is no indication that social media is biased in favour of improvement. Look at the so-called Arab spring. The popular uprisings organised through the internet were not intended to replace dictators and tyrants with enlightened rule. They wanted to replace them with theocratic dictatorships. At best they gave its peoples a choice between a frying pan and fire. The internet also facilitated the recruitment of thousands of aspiring terrorist from all over the world to gather in the Middle East and North Africa in order to blow themselves up after raping and pillaging the respective areas there were in on behalf of ISIL.

There simply is no evidence whatsoever for the claim that social media lean towards "the good". In fact, the racists, theocrats and other undesirable groupings use them to good effect, maybe even more effectually than, say, the Southern Poverty Law Center, because they have fewer scruples about lying and using unfair methods. They are using the tools of freedom or whatever you want to call the social media to destroy them, and there's nothing new about that either. Josef Goebbels (in 1935) this time (Source):
...we National Socialists never asserted that we represented a democratic point of view, but we have declared openly that we used democratic methods only in order to gain the power and that, after assuming the power, we would deny to our adversaries without any consideration the means which were granted to us in the times of opposition


Edited to replace Goebbels quote with a more accurate version.
Last edited by Hermit on Sep 01, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3707
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#11  Postby jamest » Sep 01, 2018 2:45 am

That was a good intelligent response, but I am tired and will sleep on it.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The demise of East/West politics and future predictions.

#12  Postby Thommo » Sep 01, 2018 7:03 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:I'm not convinced by a lot of this. I have a preference for one form of politics - liberal, free, democratic, intelligent, mature, rational and evidence based, but that leaves open a lot of different positions someone could take. On the other hand I think it's safe to say I don't like bullshit (pretty much by the definition of bullshit), and there's at least one form of politics I can't stand (Nazism, communism to name a couple)

I've just come back from the USA - that showpiece democracy which is supposedly the home of liberalism and the free - and apart from there being plenty of money for a minority of its populace, I'm wondering what it is about that which still has you hooked in, line and sinker?


Nothing, that clearly isn't what I said. I'd rather live in the USA than a lot of Eastern countries mind you, for all its failings (of which I agree there are many) the freedoms and opportunities afforded to regular folk are still a lot better than most places in the world today and basically anywhere historically.

jamest wrote:Politics is utterly corrupt and unfair and I will never place my trust in any system which allows a minority of its population to be homeless and starving, with the majority just plodding on, so that a minority can live 'the dream'. Fuck that shit.


It's corrupt, but it's corrupt by degrees rather than utterly. The problem is that every way of organising societies has also been corrupt - and those which afford huge power to a single central figure have been among the most corrupt. Any solution which exacerbates the problem is no solution at all!

jamest wrote:The term 'East/West politics' was meant to denote the whole gamut of political experience across the globe. I accept that I could and should have made that clearer.


Alright, thanks for clarifying.

jamest wrote:We've as a whole been trusting rulers/governments for millennia and the fucking lot of them have taken the piss and still are. Even the communists, supposedly the epitome of being "for the people".


Yeah, society has to be governed, it has to have rules and ways of enforcing the rules or there is no society. There's still a long way to go, but abandoning government is no solution, it's like cutting your leg off to get rid of the pain of a stubbed toe. It took a lot of work to get to the point we're at now, where people don't claim to own other people, where the physically strong don't tyrannise the physically weak, where people accept their neighbours as equals whether they are women, of a different ethnicity, a different sexuality or anything else.

jamest wrote:
Uncertainty grows exponentially into the future, but the near future shows few signs of a one world government, I don't think it would be easy to convince Xi or Putin or Kim to give up power, and it's not exactly clear what problems such a government would actually be able to solve anyway.

Well, my prediction wasn't for next week.


Well, yes. If it was then the exponential growth of uncertainty with time would hardly be a factor. It's precisely because it's for an extremely vague but long term period I gave the reply that I did. For the forseeable future the world isn't coming together. For the future that isn't forseeable, then saying you see what will happen would be foolish in the extreme.

jamest wrote:t's just that social media, which is relatively new even here in The West, now allows for strong collective ideas opposed to the status quo. Indeed, if I remember correctly social media was directly instrumental in causing the Egyptian revolution which occurred a half-dozen+ years ago. It certainly comes as no surprise to me that you sometimes hear about governments imposing severe internet restrictions/bans in places like North Korea in order to prevent the spread of negative propaganda.


Egypt is an interesting example, they had a revolution and overthrew a dictator and appointed a new one instead. Whether this pattern is really so different to the hundreds of revolutions that have occurred in the pre-digital age is perhaps less clear. The internet was, I would agree, used as a significant medium in that case. However, were the outcomes different to those that came before? And do the factors that existed in Egypt exist all across the world? I think the answer to both is a clear no.

jamest wrote:The significant thing with social media is that it allows for 'common people' from all around the world to communicate on a regular basis, to share experiences and ideas. As time progresses, more and more people across the globe are acquiring access to this means of communication. One assumes that in a handful of decades it will be as common a theme across Third World countries as it is here in The West, where nearly everyone has a phone/pc and access to the internet.


Yes, but the 'common people' as you call them don't agree. If you're a flat Earther the internet is wonderful for reaching out and finding people who agree with you, there's a thriving online community of flat Earthers now. It doesn't mean much though, their idea isn't going to supplant the alternative, they're just going to draw up the wagons and talk amongst themselves in their own circle, while everyone else does the same. And that's before we even get to the amount of incorrect, or deliberately malicious false information that floods the web. A tool is only as good as the hand that wields it, and the internet is being wielded to misinform to a huge degree when it comes to politics.

Contradictory lies about Novichok spring readily to mind.

jamest wrote:People in general are not utterly ignorant any more. They won't put up with shite for very long when they can connect with masses who feel the same way, who are willing en masse to do something to change said shite. Even when we were still largely ignorant and had few if any means to evaluate opinions, massive revolutions still occurred. There's plenty of evidence of that in your history books. So don't underestimate the value of social media. It's going to have a big impact on the politics of the future, globally.


People weren't utterly ignorant 10 years ago, 30 years ago or 50 years ago either. Or probably ever. It's a question of degree, and I'm not convinced that people are better informed now than they were 10 or 30 years ago at all. If you want to reduce things to black and white, and argue for white, that's fine, but don't make the mistake of assuming that means those who disagree think everything is black.

From what I've seen of the masses, in recent years populists seem to want to withdraw to smaller nations, far more than the reverse. This has certainly been the trend in Western Europe. Scotland, Catalonia, Britain, Italy and more. None of these places are surging towards a unified world government, whether or not we can say social media has played a profound role in how politicians get their message out.

The reality is that there are a lot of people who don't like the way we run society, and a lot that do. Social media won't change that, humans are individuals and they disagree. Society needs methods of resolving these conflicts, and free and fair elections are the best method so far proposed. Change for the sake of change isn't a good idea and a lot of people see that, from all across the political spectrum.

jamest wrote:In my opinion, this Trump malarkey epitomises the madness and greed/corruptness/injustice of 'democracy' (not that you cannot find evidence of its many flaws throughout history in general), to the extent that many people are fucked-off with the whole shebang. It's fubar on a plate, every night on the news. How the fuck you can still buy into the ideals of democracy is a mystery to me. Perhaps you're one of those few rich people enjoying the material benefits of its ideals, in which case you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting a political ideal for your OWN ends. I dunno, but from where I'm sat democracy looks like it's rapidly sinking down the plug-hole. And thank fuck I live in an era which allows me to evaluate the situation, and not just for myself, james.


You were doing really well at not making this personal, I suggest you stick to it without guessing about my life circumstances. If they were relevant, I would share them. They aren't.

But I'm no Trump supporter, I'm deeply troubled by his position in the world. I just recognise the danger of getting rid of the machinery that provides the only method for getting rid of Trump. If you want to talk more broadly about the reforms the US system needs to make we could, but those aren't inherent failings of the world as a whole or even democracy in the main. They have too much money in politics, lobbyists are too powerful, the two party system polarises and entrenches opinion, the electoral college distorts election results, there are almost no meaningful restrictions on malicious or false adverts and no meaningful restrictions on advertising budgets.

Obviously, as we all know by now what they should really do is simply copy everything done by the one perfect country in the world - the Netherlands. :shifty:

I do have one question which should be asked. What specific, concrete benefits are supposed to arise from having a one world government, that would not arise from the alternatives?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26885

Print view this post


Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest