The final social revolution

... has nothing to do with science

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The final social revolution

#101  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm

It sounds bloody horrible TBH, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Suzanne Segal had an episode in her 20s that was diagnosed by several psychologists as depersonalization disorder, though Segal herself interpreted it through the lens of Buddhism as a spiritual experience, commonly known as "Satori" or "Samadhi".[56]
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#103  Postby jamest » Mar 31, 2019 11:53 pm

Was you hoping that I'd tell you to fuck off in order I'd accumulate another ban?

... Did Thommo advise that you should do this? Just curious.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 01, 2019 3:06 am

No and no. I genuinely thought, and to a lesser extent think, that you might be suffering from the condition. It is apparently remarkably common (1-2% of the population) and the way you repeatedly and profoundly refer to your body as being a mere puppet which your mind does not inhabit seems to fit. There's no shame in mental illness (although you seem to disagree) so of course I wasn't trying to get you to tell me to fuck off, and imagining some plot orchestrated by Thommo to get you banned is pure crystal paranoia. I was actually hoping it might be a path to some form of recovery for you which might help you feel and act better - it seems like you treat this place like a toilet these days TBH, only turning up in the wee hours drunk to "have a fight" as it were and indulge your "interesting" perspective on the human condition, neither of which I like and are clearly symptoms of distress/illness, by my mind.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#105  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 1:34 pm

jamest wrote:The final social revolution will/must obviously, by logical default, encompass all minds and be thus irreversible.

So what happens 0.36 seconds later when a new mind - or budding mind - is born?

In the abstract, your statement sort of must be true, but it requires a host of other factors too.

It could also mean that there can never be a final social revolution. Fortunately many minds are prone to change, so even a temporarily all-mind final social revolution might not actually prove to be final.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 1:38 pm

jamest wrote:Reality IS what logic deems it to be, Sir.

Swim to the deep end.

That's the shallow end.

Minds may perceive reality and define it for themselves, but they don't actually define reality.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy