The mental disease of 'culture'.

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The mental disease of 'culture'.

#41  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 20, 2019 5:29 am

Even the Faceless Men have their own culture.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 5:37 am

It took me a relatively long time to realize that. I still get frustrated by it a lot. It took me again a relatively long time to realize that such frustration, or rather displays of such frustration, has roots in my own life. Since I am not going to see professional help, gotta live with it, me and you.
tuco

Print view this post

#43  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 5:42 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
I mostly don't like people,...

HEY! I'm mostly people!

/pout

[Julia Roberts sings backup on this one]
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#44  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 20, 2019 5:49 am

All knowledge and all experience can be labelled as culture
To be cultureless is to be without knowledge or experience

james is therefore a product of culture just the same as everyone else is
Now his own culture may be absolutely unique to him but its still culture

To deny culture is to deny all of human existence and all of human thought but james cannot do either of these
He is the cultureless one who denys all cultures except his own but doesnt see the delicious irony of this at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#45  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 5:53 am

tuco wrote:It took me a relatively long time to realize that. I still get frustrated by it a lot. It took me again a relatively long time to realize that such frustration, or rather displays of such frustration, has roots in my own life. Since I am not going to see professional help, gotta live with it, me and you.

I know personally at least one unrepentant subscriber to psychobabble who talks like that. It's not that it isn't true, it's that it is trivially true, which makes it a lot like quoting the bible at someone. Everything has roots in your own life and roots in the external world. It's that you can't separate them that makes all the shit that is true so trivial. It's trivially true that you are an open thermodynamic system. It's not so trivial to figure out the next layers of that, but nobody who fancies psychobabble is going to be interested in all that.

That's why Dolph Sharp's parody of trying to sort it all out speaks so clearly to me.

jamest wrote:God forbid that I would ever be an advocate of liking people within a philosophy which ultimately states that they do not exist.

Somebody should fucking ask you why God made people (that don't exist) look like open thermodynamic systems (that don't exist, either). It won't be me, because I know just how you're going to shit on the question.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#46  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 20, 2019 6:27 am

To quote myself:
LucidFlight wrote:Even the Faceless Men have their own culture.

Essentially, they are trained assassins, but their culture is like a club where they learn to become a chameleon. Of course, they come and they go. Every day for them is like survival. They come and go, they come and go. Have you read Gould and Greene?
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 6:31 am

LucidFlight wrote:their culture is like a club where they learn to become a chameleon.

Just Karma off it, LF.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 6:33 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
tuco wrote:It took me a relatively long time to realize that. I still get frustrated by it a lot. It took me again a relatively long time to realize that such frustration, or rather displays of such frustration, has roots in my own life. Since I am not going to see professional help, gotta live with it, me and you.

I know personally at least one unrepentant subscriber to psychobabble who talks like that. It's not that it isn't true, it's that it is trivially true, which makes it a lot like quoting the bible at someone. Everything has roots in your own life and roots in the external world. It's that you can't separate them that makes all the shit that is true so trivial. It's trivially true that you are an open thermodynamic system. It's not so trivial to figure out the next layers of that, but nobody who fancies psychobabble is going to be interested in all that.

That's why Dolph Sharp's parody of trying to sort it all out speaks so clearly to me.

Not really. Something or someone can be genuinely annoying/frustrating, which is obvious/trivial to me. What is not is to tell the difference, to spot when my outputs are reactions to such annoyance or just venting my own frustration where the perceived annoyance is just a cover.

As as side note, I usually dont know the people you mention, dont bother to get to know them so you might save yourself the time and energy. Then again, it could be for others so whatever I guess.
tuco

Print view this post

#49  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 6:36 am

tuco wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Not really. Something or someone can be genuinely annoying/frustrating, which is obvious/trivial to me. What is not is to tell the difference, to spot when my outputs are reactions to such annoyance or just venting my own frustration where the perceived annoyance is just a cover.

As as side note, I usually dont know the people you mention, dont bother to get to know them so you might save yourself the time and energy. Then again, it could be for others so whatever I guess.

Genuinely annoying? Do you mean authentically annoying? You know, the way genuine Naugahyde™ is? What does it mean when the tag says your handbag is manufactured from genuine leather? It means it is manufactured from leather. This is an old-ish joke in the circles you travel in. You should know it by now.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#50  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 6:43 am

Ok whatever the word is, as long as we understand each other its not important to me.
tuco

Print view this post

#51  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 7:30 am

surreptitious57 wrote:All knowledge and all experience can be labelled as culture

No, that's assuredly not true. You have a tile sticking up in your bathroom and you stub your toe on it. Neither knowing the tile is sticking up nor experiencing the stubbing of your toe is culture.

surreptitious57 wrote:To be cultureless is to be without knowledge or experience

Knowledge and experience are potentially independent of culture, it's shared knowledge and experience that are culture. Things don't experience, things don't have knowledge, people do, and people operating together, sharing their knowledge and experiences generate culture.

surreptitious57 wrote:james is therefore a product of culture just the same as everyone else is

Of course he is. The only people who are not are people with such severe mental disabilities that they can't engage with others, or possibly feral children raised in the absence of other humans.

surreptitious57 wrote:Now his own culture may be absolutely unique to him but its still culture

It's a contradiction in terms: no individual can have a unique culture - culture is the interaction between people.

surreptitious57 wrote:To deny culture is to deny all of human existence and all of human thought but james cannot do either of these

It's not to deny all human existence and thought, but it is solipsistic and ignorant to declare oneself a product of oneself.

surreptitious57 wrote:He is the cultureless one who denys all cultures except his own but doesnt see the delicious irony of this at all

It's worse than that - it's denying that he has any meaning, any role, or any part in anything.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 7:32 am

Cito di Pense wrote:

[Julia Roberts sings backup on this one]

:lollypop:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 7:35 am

Spearthrower wrote:Let's bring some actual substance to this thread...

I was just heading out the door when I dropped these quotes here, but each of them provides at least one instance contradicting jamest's original post, or an example where his own post contradicts its own argument.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 7:50 am

surreptitious57 wrote:The cultureless james needs to realise that he is using language to convince everyone of his unique culturelessness
And yet he doesnt realise that language is one of the most potent symbols of culture and is universal to all of them

Yep, that's one of the many amusingly self-contradictory components.

In the same vein...

I reside within the same boat...

jamest lives on the ocean? He's a sailor? Both he and Cito are sailors, on the same vessel, in the same body of water?

Wait, it's a metaphorical boat, you say? Well, that is odd for someone so free of culture to be using metaphors which just so happen to be the kind of metaphor one might expect to arise in an island nation. You won't find that metaphor in all other languages, particularly those which inhabit mountains or vast plains where boats don't traditionally exist and therefore aren't traditionally employed in culturally loaded significant exchanges.

Oh, but he was just using it to communicate? Funny, because that's also what culture is - a shared system of meaning, a pool of symbolic references on which to draw to help elucidate (and sometimes constrain) thoughts and to facilitate and enrich an exchange of ideas by using notional analogies inherently and unquestioningly shared by all members of that culture, in this case, even those who have never been on a boat.

It's lucky jamest is on that boat, because he's way out of his depth here. Ooh extended analogy! I is cultured!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 20, 2019 8:00 am

Sometimes, it is necessary to use the tools of culture to undermine the very culture they help to build. In order to sink the disease of culture, one must take the helm and steer the ship into the frozen badger of transcendence.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 20, 2019 8:15 am

The boat which james resides within is a cultureless idealistic one
I have no idea what the purpose of it is but it must have some use
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#57  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 8:29 am

surreptitious57 wrote:... it must have some use

It's a jazz rag for the mind.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 20, 2019 8:30 am

LucidFlight wrote:... into the frozen badger of transcendence.

And BEYOND!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Svartalf » Apr 20, 2019 8:38 am

romansh wrote:
jamest wrote:
romansh wrote:
jamest wrote:
You don't dislike people anyway, you dislike their characteristics, generally. I reside within the same boat and I'm here informing you that those characteristics are generally a consequence of the mental disease derived from a particular culture.

Yes … you belong to a relatively exclusive culture. So what are the characteristics of your mental disease?

I reside within no circle. I'm completely alone. Therefore, effectively 'cultureless'.

I mean, who else other than a cultureless individual could have made the OP?

An extremely self unaware one?

not to mentiont uncultured, and likely very ignorant.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#60  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 9:25 am

Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:What I find heart-breaking is that not a single individual here has (yet) addressed the deeply-profound and thought-provoking OP with any semblance of sincerity.

I studied Anthropology undergraduate and was obliged to do a Social Anthropology unit each year. For the 3rd year, the unit was incredibly tough; clashing all the ideas by various sociologists, ethnographers, and anthropologists about what culture is, the meaning of culture, of how it pervades even the grammar of our thoughts.

Your OP is not deep or thought-provoking, jamest. Its a bunch of assertions which you have not only not evidenced, you've actually evidenced the exact opposite.

Seems like nothing has changed. Every thought you have is still the greatest thought that's ever been had, even when the thought expressed is as deep as a puddle. Your OP is functionally equivalent to someone challenging an evolutionary biologist that evolution can't be true because if we evolved from monkeys, how can there still be monkeys? It displays no comprehension of culture at all, and the only reason the thread will continue is because you refuse to believe that anything you produce isn't intrinsically worthy while somehow maintaining that everyone else is just running unthinkingly along the ruts only you have escaped.

It's bad enough to engage in public masturbation, but obliging others to be your effect your self-gratification is where it all goes terribly wrong.

I kinda missed this, stopped reading after .. I studied Anthropology undergraduate and was obliged to do a Social Anthropology unit each year. For the 3rd year, the unit was incredibly tough; .. but since it got the thumbs it got me interested what so valuable is there worth the "likes" and after reading it I have to say absolutely nothing. Zero information on the topic, and on top of it pseudo-analysis of jamest comment.

Obviously, they haven't thought you during your undergraduate certain things, like overlooking non-essentials and focusing on the subject at hand.
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy