The mental disease of 'culture'.

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The mental disease of 'culture'.

#81  Postby Sendraks » Apr 21, 2019 2:02 am

I'm like, posting my thoughts on the internet but, like, in a way that's totally culture less and not like, you know, the culture of people who post their thoughts on the internet. I'm like, rilly, rilly, not into that. It's like, so not cool and disease. So I'm like doing this thing that like, culturally a lot of people do but, like, totally differently. So it's not, like, culture. You know. Squire.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 21, 2019 2:56 am

jamest wrote: my mind has been able to transcend any wisdom imbued upon me by said culture in reaching these conclusions and is therefore able to think 'culturelessly'. In that sense alone - being able to think beyond those parameters which culture enables - I am cultureless. Regardless of whether I have a family.

Fuck me. Are you angling become the next Deepak Chopra?

Why is it you have constantly been jabbering on about how superlative and unique you are to the membership here for a decade?

If it were really true, other people would be able to spot that specialness without you telling them. When you need to tell people you're brilliant, the fact is that you're not brilliant.

You are just as much a product of and entangled in your culture(s) as everyone else.

I really wish you wouldn't do this to yourself and you turned your mind to something less damaging and more useful.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#83  Postby Macdoc » Apr 21, 2019 7:51 am

more like clueless methinks :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2019 10:31 am

jamest wrote:
Fallible wrote:
jamest wrote:
romansh wrote:
Yes … you belong to a relatively exclusive culture. So what are the characteristics of your mental disease?

I reside within no circle. I'm completely alone. Therefore, effectively 'cultureless'.

I mean, who else other than a cultureless individual could have made the OP?

Don't you have a wife and two kids?

On page 2 in post 30 I said this:
I didn't proclaim that I was cultureless. After all, I'm English/British/white and the child of a catholic father and protestant mother. North of England, heart of the industrial revolution, brainwashed into being a supporter of one of the most famous football clubs on the planet. Etc..

What I'm saying to you is that at some point in the recent past I saw what a load of bollocks those cultural prisms were in my assessment of 'me'.

I've been fully immersed within a particular culture for the whole of my life, but what I'm saying is that I now realise this/any human culture is folly, a disease responsible for all of our social woes. In that sense, my mind has been able to transcend any wisdom imbued upon me by said culture in reaching these conclusions and is therefore able to think 'culturelessly'. In that sense alone - being able to think beyond those parameters which culture enables - I am cultureless. Regardless of whether I have a family.

Sure you are.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 21, 2019 10:43 am

I am <insert culture> but cultureless. :coffee:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#86  Postby romansh » Apr 21, 2019 11:14 pm

jamest wrote:
romansh wrote:It's the culture of non-existent people that is the problem.

You have a hard time understanding and/or accepting that people do not exist, so it seems. Yet the fundamental message of my philosophy is that you DO exist, but not as a person. Surely you and the rest of the readers here comprehend this easily understandable notion?

For an existing entity who falsely concludes that "I am human", any consequential culture is folly.

No not at all. I have a hard time understanding the culture of non existent people.

But yes, it is similar to the Buddhist position of not-self. I get it. Sure we are part of a greater whole, certainly not independent little gods, first causes etc.

Could the culture have been otherwise? Answers please on the appropriate thread.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#87  Postby Blackadder » Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am

I'm late to this er ... "thread", as I've been engaged in horticulture this weekend. It's a death culture, involving the demise of weeds, primarily. I came to realise that horticulture, practiced by amateurs such as myself, is actually a sub-culture of middle-class suburban culture. I thought of letting the weeds live, as a form of counter-culture against the culture of conformity that surrounds my property. But then I remembered reading somewhere that the world is fucked. And so are we. And now so are the weeds. Cogito, ergo terminum.

Next week - why logic is the penis of Satan. Stay tuned.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy