The mental disease of 'culture'.

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The mental disease of 'culture'.

#1  Postby jamest » Apr 19, 2019 2:14 am

What is right/wrong? What should you asprire to be/do? What plans should you have for your life? Conversely, what shouldn't you be doing/being?

These questions are difficult enough in their own right, but when one realises that the average person generally answers them in the light of their own cultural upbringing, one can see how utterly difficult they are to answer. Cultural brainwashing of all types/kinds gets in the way. We're all slaves from the onset to the incessant chatter specific to our own time/place.

We more-or-less think of ourselves as sophistcated individuals WRT our historical knowledge of the past. Guess what, every single future generation of people has intuitively had that thought. I mean, how could my generation be worse than the last when my generation has more knowledge and wisdom to draw from?

The problem is, you were so dumb (being a baby/kid) that you've never got to the point of questioning your culture in the first place. And for those that do, in their later years, in most cases the consequence will be that they will either do nothing or else just adopt another culture.

My message here funadamentally amounts to not wasting your lives being the fucking victim/mug of any culture. Otherwise, at the end of the day you're just going to be yet another muppet who achieved nothing other than sustaining the status quo of giving life to the mental disease of culture.

Seek yourself within yourself, not the eyes into and of the world.

Seriously.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The mental disease of 'culture'.

#2  Postby laklak » Apr 19, 2019 3:17 am

When I hear "culture" I unlock my Browning.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Apr 19, 2019 4:38 am

Humans are social beings and their desire to belong cannot be suppressed. Humans are also individuals and their desire to express individuality defines such belonging. I would not call it a mental disease necessarily but those who do not have said desires fulfilled are quite abnormal and probably have a shitty life in one aspect or another.
Last edited by tuco on Apr 19, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 19, 2019 4:47 am

How do we know you're not just answering from your culture? This project of unshackling the individual from precedent or exterior constraints by means of questioning and philosophy goes back at least as far as Descartes. And it continues on into individualist liberalism and libertarianism and, insofar as these philosophies have filtered down through our cultural machineries and left their residues on our popular and inherited cultures, they seem likewise to have left their residues here.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2019 5:14 am

My solution?

https://www.amazon.com/Im-K-Youre-Not-H ... nskepti-20

I mostly don't like people, and jamest does little to change my mind, all these prodigious efforts to the contrary. For all I know, jamest is trying to convince me I'm right. Spare yourself the effort, pal.

Cats, I like, especially Maru, that smart one you see on youtube. I tried looking inward, but all I found was my liver, hanging by a thread.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 19, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Apr 19, 2019 5:16 am

Cito di Pense wrote:I mostly don't like people...

:hugs:
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2019 5:53 am

jamest wrote:What is right/wrong?

What a question! A better question is, what is banality?

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 19, 2019 6:48 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
I mostly don't like people,...

HEY! I'm mostly people!

/pout
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Apr 19, 2019 6:52 am

I am goona report you all for off-topic. How about that? Cool?
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » Apr 19, 2019 7:28 am

tuco wrote:I am goona report you all for off-topic. How about that? Cool?

I'm goona act scared. Not about the report, but about the mentally diseased cultcha you inhabit. ;)
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Blip » Apr 19, 2019 7:35 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
The discussion on Maru and other cats certainly deserves its own thread :nod: ; the relevant posts are now here.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Apr 19, 2019 8:46 am

lol
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Svartalf » Apr 19, 2019 8:54 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

HEY! I'm mostly people!

/pout

's Okay, how many people do you know who really like you?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 19, 2019 10:52 am

Svartalf wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

HEY! I'm mostly people!

/pout

's Okay, how many people do you know who really like you?

My mum.... and... other people... who are like my mum.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby felltoearth » Apr 19, 2019 1:04 pm

jamest wrote:
My message here funadamentally amounts to not wasting your lives being the fucking victim/mug of any culture. Otherwise, at the end of the day you're just going to be yet another muppet who achieved nothing other than sustaining the status quo of giving life to the mental disease of culture.

Or writing crap philosophy drunk and alone in the middle of the night on an inconsequential internet forum.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby felltoearth » Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Blip wrote:[bluemn]The discussion on Maru and other cats certainly deserves its own thread :nod: ; the relevant posts are now here.[/bluemn]

Now *that* kind of moderation deserves the internet and I don’t give two hoots if I get sanctioned for discussing it in thread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jamest » Apr 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:How do we know you're not just answering from your culture?

Because 'my' culture is white/English/British, and nothing I see therein can be responsible for me parroting the OP.

This project of unshackling the individual from precedent or exterior constraints by means of questioning and philosophy goes back at least as far as Descartes. And it continues on into individualist liberalism and libertarianism and, insofar as these philosophies have filtered down through our cultural machineries and left their residues on our popular and inherited cultures, they seem likewise to have left their residues here.

The only time I ever studied philosophy was to acquire my OU degree wherein for the most part I had to study materialistic/physicalist explanations for everything. I have no affiliation/connection/interest to/in philosophical circles. I.e., there is no philosophical culture pulling my strings.

In other words, I'm pulling my own strings.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby jamest » Apr 19, 2019 10:54 pm

felltoearth wrote:
jamest wrote:

Or writing crap philosophy drunk and alone in the middle of the night on an inconsequential internet forum.

The OP is not crap philosophy and the broken record about me being drunk as a ruse to avoid responding to such thoughts is disingenuous. Stop wasting my fucking time. :nono:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jamest » Apr 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
I mostly don't like people, and jamest does little to change my mind, all these prodigious efforts to the contrary. For all I know, jamest is trying to convince me I'm right. Spare yourself the effort, pal.

God forbid that I would ever be an advocate of liking people within a philosophy which ultimately states that they do not exist.

You don't dislike people anyway, you dislike their characteristics, generally. I reside within the same boat and I'm here informing you that those characteristics are generally a consequence of the mental disease derived from a particular culture.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby romansh » Apr 19, 2019 11:19 pm

jamest wrote:
You don't dislike people anyway, you dislike their characteristics, generally. I reside within the same boat and I'm here informing you that those characteristics are generally a consequence of the mental disease derived from a particular culture.

Yes … you belong to a relatively exclusive culture. So what are the characteristics of your mental disease?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy