What is boredom?

Life is a war against boredom

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

What is boredom?

#1  Postby jamest » Aug 31, 2018 12:43 am

I'd like to explain boredom with a view to shafting it up the arse, but let's take it slowly. It might be more enjoyable that way.

I'm often bored these days (in general), but that was not always the case. Though kids get bored, their boredom is short-lived. Since there are no kids here, let's get to the heart of adult boredom.

Be frank/honest, or just fuck off. Sincerity/genuinity, or nothing.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What is boredom?

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 31, 2018 1:04 am

Boredom is a lack of mental stimulation and the way to avoid it is to keep the mind occupied
But being emotionally detached also helps as boredom is less likely to develop in such a mind
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 31, 2018 3:09 am

Assuming you're talking about "I've got too much free time" as opposed to "my job is tedious", I can't understand it when people tell me they're bored. How do they find the time? I haven't got enough to do the things I can, let alone the things I can't. How is it possible to have so few interests that one's managed to explore them all?

Just got re-interested in jazz, specifically the 1955-1965 period. Got a list a mile long, it'll take me months of diligent listening to get through it, and more is being added every day. How are you not constantly in the process of finding new things to be excited about?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fenrir » Aug 31, 2018 3:16 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Assuming you're talking about "I've got too much free time" as opposed to "my job is tedious", I can't understand it when people tell me they're bored. How do they find the time? I haven't got enough to do the things I can, let alone the things I can't. How is it possible to have so few interests that one's managed to explore them all?

Just got re-interested in jazz, specifically the 1955-1965 period. Got a list a mile long, it'll take me months of diligent listening to get through it, and more is being added every day. How are you not constantly in the process of finding new things to be excited about?

Jazz isn't about you or how great your unappreciated greatness is so it's totally OT.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 4:04 am

I can honestly say I've never been bored in my life.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Fallible » Aug 31, 2018 6:10 am

Genuinity? Boredom is a first world problem.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby zulumoose » Aug 31, 2018 6:25 am

I am constantly bored.
My job is a string of mindless administration tasks with vague requirements, dominated by shifting goalposts and things that cannot be completed because I have no control over them, our company deals with tail-end things that require all other companies on the projects to be finished first, and it is failing, resignations and income cuts all over the show.
My kids are teenagers who would prefer to pretend their parents don't exist, but have a constant string of demands and expenses.
I don't have spare income, or time, my life seems to be a series of responsibilities lived entirely to meet other peoples needs, for which there is no appreciation, leaving me demotivated and lifeless.
Wow, that sounds bad.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 31, 2018 7:21 am

Boredom often correlates with loneliness - stimulating company is most entertaining. Occupational Therapy is my favourite term these days. Sounds to me like zulu is stuck in the worst kind of soulless, unsatisfying occupation. Occupational therapy needn't be about money, by my mind, and would exist and be properly prioritised in a Luxury Communism system.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Aug 31, 2018 7:32 am

felltoearth wrote:I can honestly say I've never been bored in my life.

I've never been chronically bored. I've had accute boredom caused by temporary lack of distractions, Eg being stuck on a long plane journey, but I suspect that that's not the flavour of boredom that's the problem here.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » Aug 31, 2018 8:00 am

What is this thing called boredom? I have yet to become acquainted with it, and being on the wrong side of 65, the chances of that happening one day are diminishing.

I do admit to having experienced what might be called situational boredom. You know, the sort of thing that happens when you see an argument with someone developing, the same argument you had with the same person a number of times before. Before you're even into it you know exactly how it ends because the result is always the same: nothing is resolved by the end of it. You dearly want to walk away for it, but you can't. So you bear it sullenly, let it wash over you and try to get it out of your mind as soon as you can.

This kind of boredom is different to the kind some people are predisposed to suffer from. Maybe jadedness is synonymous with that, or almost so. That's not for me. I do not get bored by arguments in general. They excite, rather than bore me. Just the particular type I described above is boring before it even starts. Some parties are likewise boring. Particular types of parties. In general they are rather good fun. Some music is boring Particular types of music. In general...
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby NuclMan » Aug 31, 2018 11:05 am

Boredom is what motivates one to do something/something else.

I tell my daughter that constantly whines about being bored, that boredom is a good thing - it's what life is, in-between all the excitement.
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm

I’m actually surprised a philosopher can be bored. So much to think about.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 12:39 pm

NuclMan wrote:Boredom is what motivates one to do something/something else.

I tell my daughter that constantly whines about being bored, that boredom is a good thing - it's what life is, in-between all the excitement.

Pretty much this. I would get in trouble in boring jobs because my mind would wander. I guess if you’re more of an introvert you don’t suffer boredom so easily?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Hermit wrote:
I do admit to having experienced what might be called situational boredom. You know, the sort of thing that happens when you see an argument with someone developing, the same argument you had with the same person a number of times before. Before you're even into it you know exactly how it ends because the result is always the same: nothing is resolved by the end of it. You dearly want to walk away for it, but you can't. So you bear it sullenly, let it wash over you and try to get it out of your mind as soon as you can.

This kind of boredom is different to the kind some people are predisposed to suffer from. Maybe jadedness is synonymous with that, or almost so. That's not for me. I do not get bored by arguments in general. They excite, rather than bore me. Just the particular type I described above is boring before it even starts. Some parties are likewise boring. Particular types of parties. In general they are rather good fun. Some music is boring Particular types of music. In general...

I’ve had to learn to curtail my response to situational boredom, which is to actually disconnect from the situation and wander somewhere else more interesting or drop a total non-sequitur into a conversation because my mind is completely somewhere else. Before a party my SO always asks me if I’m going to act weird. There’s a pretty good chance, yah. :lol:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Boredom is a boot stomping on a human face - forever.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Ani gets it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 1:00 pm

Animavore wrote:Boredom is a boot stomping on a human face - forever.

I would have said a burning bag of feces. YMMV.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2018 1:35 pm

I learned as a mere sprout never to say I'm bored, because Mom or Dad would find something for me to do. I don't say it to Mrs. Lak either, because she's got a penchant for making lists of shit that needs doing and it's me who does the doing.

It's like working construction, never let the foreman see you goofing off. At least be leaning on a shovel.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby felltoearth » Aug 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Truth
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 31, 2018 2:25 pm

felltoearth wrote:I’m actually surprised a philosopher can be bored. So much to think about.

Well when philosophy amounts to just making up whatever one wants, I can see how it would get boring pretty quick.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy