Who is qualified to be an expert on god?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Who is qualified to be an expert on god?

#41  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Macdoc wrote:or tooth fairies ...why the FUCK would anyone bother .. :nono:

What next ..the study of unicorn anatomy ? :coffee:

As long as he can get someone from MIT to say it :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby romansh » Apr 19, 2017 1:14 am

Plainly ... I am expert on whatever passes as imaginations as I perceive them.
But who is expert on what god is (or is not)?

edit ... just a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#43  Postby Macdoc » Apr 19, 2017 2:20 am

no peer review that ;)
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am

John Platko wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
John Platko wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Hate to do it so early in the thread but, which god?

Well since I provided the inspiration for the thread I think it only fair that it be the God I imagine.

Well, everyone who believes in a god imagines their own version, don't they?

There is no single god to be an expert in.

That's my point. :thumbup:

People are really only an expert in the God they imagine. And since atheists imagine no God, they are experts in no God.

What a surprise to see you running away with yourself, John. Are we to believe that you truly think atheists never imagine God? Complete toss from you as usual.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby BlackBart » Apr 19, 2017 8:21 am

Toss from John?! Well, imagine that!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2017 8:22 am

Shocking!
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

John Platko wrote:....

FFS I sure as hell hope you are aware of that by now. I just showed the tip of the iceberg of how many times I explained just that to forum members whose ignorance of God seems to suggest it could be otherwise. The fact that I had to explain that all anyone believes about God comes from their imagination or the imagination of others (because where the hell else could it come from? :doh: ) soooooooo many times, is evidence to me, that some here know and understand nothing about God. :no: Or prayer, or souls or angels, etc. etc. ..

Whoa! You are Very interesting. Seem to match my definition of an atheist. At least one who thinks and lives his life at the same time. Imagining god in the description you have provided makes us all quite the same. You get that right?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#48  Postby felltoearth » Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm

SoS, I believe John is using imagination in the Romantic (after William Blake) sense.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby John Platko » Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Macdoc wrote:or tooth fairies ...why the FUCK would anyone bother .. :nono:

What next ..the study of unicorn anatomy ? :coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKpGXYhm6k
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby John Platko » Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Well since I provided the inspiration for the thread I think it only fair that it be the God I imagine.

People are really only an expert in the God they imagine. And since atheists imagine no God, they are experts in no God.

What a surprise to see you running away with yourself, John. Are we to believe that you truly think atheists never imagine God? Complete toss from you as usual.

I'm open to learning new things. What do you imagine when you imagine God?

(By the way, that original comment of mine might have been a wee bit tongue-in-cheek.)
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby John Platko » Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
John Platko wrote:....

FFS I sure as hell hope you are aware of that by now. I just showed the tip of the iceberg of how many times I explained just that to forum members whose ignorance of God seems to suggest it could be otherwise. The fact that I had to explain that all anyone believes about God comes from their imagination or the imagination of others (because where the hell else could it come from? :doh: ) soooooooo many times, is evidence to me, that some here know and understand nothing about God. :no: Or prayer, or souls or angels, etc. etc. ..

Whoa! You are Very interesting. Seem to match my definition of an atheist. At least one who thinks and lives his life at the same time. Imagining god in the description you have provided makes us all quite the same. You get that right?

:nod: Never-the-less, the fact that I imagine God seems to bug some members. It's not like I go around criticizing their fantasy life. :no:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby John Platko » Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm

felltoearth wrote:SoS, I believe John is using imagination in the Romantic (after William Blake) sense.

:scratch: :dunno: about that but I'm using imagination in the: it's made up in my head sense, and not in the way that an image of an apple may be made up in my head when I'm looking at one. Although there are more imaginative and romantic ways to say that.

:book:

hmmm William Blake. I kind of like that, and this bit by him:

We are told to abstain from fleshly desires that we may lose no time from the Work of the Lord. Every moment lost is a moment that cannot be redeemed: every pleasure that intermingles with the duty of our station is a folly unredeemable, and is planted like the seed of a wild flower among our wheat. All the tortures of repentance are tortures of self-reproach on account of our leaving the Divine Harvest to the Enemy, the struggles of entanglement with incoherent roots. I know of no other Christianity and of no other Gospel than the liberty both of body and mind to exercise the Divine Arts of Imagination—Imagination, the real and Eternal World of which this Vegetable Universe is but a faint shadow, and in which we shall live in our Eternal or Imaginative Bodies, when these Vegetable Mortal Bodies are no more. The Apostles knew of no other Gospel. What were all their spiritual gifts? What is the Divine Spirit? Is the Holy Ghost any other than an Intellectual Fountain? What is the harvest of the Gospel and its labours? What is that talent which it is a curse to hide? What are the treasures of Heaven which we are to lay up for ourselves? Are they any other than mental studies and performances? What are all the gifts of the Gospel? Are they not all mental gifts? Is God a Spirit who must be worshipped in spirit and in truth? And are not the gifts of the Spirit everything to Man? O ye Religious, discountenance every one among you who shall pretend to despise Art and Science! I call upon you in the name of Jesus! What is the life of Man but Art and Science? Is it meat and drink? Is not the Body more than raiment? What is Mortality but the things relating to the Body, which dies? What is Immortality but the things relating to the Spirit, which lives eternally? What is the Joy of Heaven but improvement in the things of the Spirit? What are the Pains of Hell but Ignorance, Bodily Lust, Idleness, and devastation of the things of the Spirit? Answer this to yourselves, and expel from among you those who pretend to despise the labours of Art and Science, which alone are the labours of the Gospel. Is not this plain and manifest to the thought? Can you think at all, and not pronounce heartily: that to labour in knowledge is to build up Jerusalem; and to despise knowledge is to despise Jerusalem and her Builders. And remember: He who despises and mocks a mental gift in another, calling it pride and selfishness and sin, mocks Jesus, the giver of every mental gift, which always appear to the ignorance-loving hypocrite as sins; but that which is a sin in the sight of cruel Man, is not so in the sight of our kind God. Let every Christian, as much as in him lies, engage himself openly and publicly, before all the World, in some mental pursuit for the Building up of Jerusalem.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm

John Platko wrote:Never-the-less, the fact that I imagine God seems to bug some members.

Perhaps what bugs some people is the apparent discrepancy between their perception of your imaginative powers and your own perception of them. I know, I know. God is supposed to be this tremendous imaginary concept. Trying to sell it as a puny, human-scale concept doesn't really cut it as the calling card of your genius, set up against, e.g., the Schwarzschild radius of a billion-solar-mass BH.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:

(By the way, that original comment of mine might have been a wee bit tongue-in-cheek.)

Oh yes, of course, 'J/K, guise!'
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby John Platko » Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:Never-the-less, the fact that I imagine God seems to bug some members.

Perhaps what bugs some people is the apparent discrepancy between their perception of your imaginative powers and your own perception of them. I know, I know. God is supposed to be this tremendous imaginary concept. Trying to sell it as a puny, human-scale concept doesn't really cut it as the calling card of your genius, set up against, e.g., the Schwarzschild radius of a billion-solar-mass BH.

:scratch: :what: You do realize that "they" are only imagining my perception of my imaginative powers - right? It's not like I'm claiming to be a 0 handicap imagineer or something. :no:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby romansh » Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

John Platko wrote: :scratch: :what: You do realize that "they" are only imagining my perception of my imaginative powers - right? It's not like I'm claiming to be a 0 handicap imagineer or something. :no:

So back to the original question ... who is qualified as an expert on god and why would atheists somehow not be considered experts?

Imaginations aside.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#57  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 19, 2017 4:50 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:

Well, I ain't no expert you understand. I imagine god mostly when in the forest and confronted by mightier oaks. My church is there. I'm usually holding a copy of scripture with the books of Alberts, Bray, Lewis, Raff, Roberts, and Watson. My imagines run to complexity and chloroplasts and the vascular, to roots and earth and minerals. Not just minerals like the heathen would have them but rather deeper imagines of XY Silicates and the like. So, masses of complexity playing odds with random, whirling with the photons, clicking through quantum bands.

My imaginings of god are an attempt to blend myself away in all of this. Then to return to my self thus blended and feel where that might leave me be, in terms of some possible activity.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2017 5:39 pm

John Platko wrote:You do realize that "they" are only imagining my perception of my imaginative powers - right? It's not like I'm claiming to be a 0 handicap imagineer or something.

You put the word 'qualified' in the title of your thread, John. Tell ya what: I'll assume for the moment that you didn't actually intend to make book here, and instead of handicapping the race, you're just shitting all over the track and hoping somebody will slip on it.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#59  Postby romansh » Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
You put the word 'qualified' in the title of your thread, John. Tell ya what: I'll assume for the moment that you didn't actually intend to make book here, and instead of handicapping the race, you're just shitting all over the track and hoping somebody will slip on it.

Actually I was the proximate cause of this thread and JP was the proximate cause of me causing this thread. Or at least it is one way of looking at this. ;)
romansh

Print view this post

#60  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Er...John isn't the thread starter.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy