Why do we love scenery?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why do we love scenery?

#121  Postby felltoearth » Feb 09, 2018 8:32 pm

jamest wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Jamest, why do you keep using square parentheses like someone else is editing your posts?

Have a word, squire.

Erm, I did a short writing course about two decades ago and picked up the habit there. I guess my teacher was a muppet.

Ok. Round parentheses are for asides and disgressions (parenthetical statements). Square or bracket is for a third party interjecting editorial content, e.g. when an editor marks [sic] after a spelling or grammatical mistake in a quoted passage. It can also be used when nested in round parentheses, but I can't say I've ever seen that.

This is all parenthetical to the issue at hand however...
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm

There’s probably about as much reason for brackets as there is for all the hyphens, that is, meaningless color.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Thommo » Feb 09, 2018 8:39 pm

This leaves the ever burning {or not?} question of when to use curly brackets.
Thommo

Print view this post

#124  Postby felltoearth » Feb 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Not sure. I've only seen them used in legal documents.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#125  Postby jamest » Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:There’s probably about as much reason for brackets as there is for all the hyphens, that is, meaningless color.

{Muppet}
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#126  Postby jamest » Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Fallible wrote:Perhaps it's not that your teacher was a muppet, but that you didn't learn how to use them correctly?

Perhaps. I know I need to learn a thing or two about grammar.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Fallible » Feb 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Heh.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Destroyer wrote:
If you have a subjective preference for raspberry ice cream then it remains subjective

For something to be objective it must be universal everyone must also like raspberry ice cream

That statement is both subjective and objective

The subjective pertains to the personal preference of one person

The objective pertains to the fact of it being true for that one person

So there is no contradiction in stating that that statement is both subjectively and objectively true

That is because the subjective and objective reference different parts of the statement not the same one
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Feb 09, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#129  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 09, 2018 9:29 pm

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:There’s probably about as much reason for brackets as there is for all the hyphens, that is, meaningless color.

{Muppet}

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 10, 2018 10:46 am

Fallible wrote:Unless you think I'm lying, these statements are objectively true.

That you have made the statements is objectively true. Whether or not I believe them is irrelevant; the statements are inconsequential. I'd be a dick for not believing your favorite color is teal, based on nothing more than your testimony. No need to swear on a bible.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 11:01 am

Why would you be a dick?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Mike_L » Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

A "favourite colour" has to be one of the primaries. It's one of those (hitherto) unwritten laws.
Teal is a just a darker version of turquoise, which is not a primary colour.
We have to draw a line here! Otherwise, before long we'll have people singing the praises of puce.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby Destroyer » Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Fallible wrote:Unless you think I'm lying, these statements are objectively true.

That you have made the statements is objectively true. Whether or not I believe them is irrelevant; the statements are inconsequential. I'd be a dick for not believing your favorite color is teal, based on nothing more than your testimony. No need to swear on a bible.

What cito is saying is precisely the case.

There is really nothing difficult to understand about the subjective and objective divide. If One possesses independent substance/solidity which can be accessed repetitively and constantly by ALL observers, then One has objectivity. This means that irrespective of any individual/subjective views regarding that substance, the solidity will always be evident for verification by ALL. However, as a subject, one does not possess this independence, which means that one necessarily must defer to the Object. Consciousness happens to be such a subject, for the obvious reason that it is the physical universe which clearly possesses universal solidity that can be repetitively accessed by all observers. Unfortunately consciousness can only be accessed by individual brains, and no other brain is privy to the relationship. This means that ALL other observers but one cannot verify for themselves exactly what is being thought or felt in conjunction with any specific brain but their own. This lack of universal solidity/substance, which alone can verify objectivity/independence, is what confines one to being a subject. Therefore only the Object has factual support, and can be verified independently of all subjects.

Our emotions and opinions all seem very real to us. Nevertheless nothing that we are thinking or feeling can be verified independently; so, of necessity we must communicate our thoughts and feelings before they are known to any other. This, unfortunately means that our subjectivity has no substance that is openly and independently accessible to all observers; which unfortunately means that those thoughts are just illusory. Anyone who believes, or claims that the conscious individual does have independent/objective solidity and substance, must, of necessity demonstrate this independent solidity: And what that will entail is a demonstration of how exactly One, who is clearly subject to the Physical universe, is also independent of the Physical universe.
Last edited by Destroyer on Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#134  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 2:06 pm

If you think what Cito is saying is precisely the case, why the fuck are you arguing with me, and why do you then go on to do such a good impersonation of someone who doesn't even seem to understand what Cito said, let alone agree with it?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Destroyer » Feb 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Fallible wrote:If you think what Cito is saying is precisely the case, why the fuck are you arguing with me, and why do you then go on to do such a good impersonation of someone who doesn't even seem to understand what Cito said, let alone agree with it?

What cito was clearly saying is that subjective communication is one thing, and the facts, clearly another.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Assuming that there is or is not a fact of a subjective feeling is the difference here.

It's quite possible that a sophisticated enough brain scan (or at a less formal level observation of behaviours like people saying they are happy) is enough to allow other people to verify whether or not someone is happy, for example.

If a fact can be verified, then it certainly can be an objective fact. If it can't be verified then you're down to a philosophical commitment, and in truth neither can be definitely shown.
Thommo

Print view this post

#137  Postby Destroyer » Feb 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Thommo wrote:Assuming that there is or is not a fact of a subjective feeling is the difference here.

It's quite possible that a sophisticated enough brain scan (or at a less formal level observation of behaviours like people saying they are happy) is enough to allow other people to verify whether or not someone is happy, for example.

If a fact can be verified, then it certainly can be an objective fact. If it can't be verified then you're down to a philosophical commitment, and in truth neither can be definitely shown.

What is required for objectivity is solid universal corroboration.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pm

:picard:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Destroyer » Feb 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Fallible wrote::picard:

What is required are arguments.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby felltoearth » Feb 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Fallible wrote:Why would you be a dick?

I'd be a dick not to believe he thinks he's being a dick.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy