Why do we love scenery?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why do we love scenery?

#1  Postby jamest » Jan 31, 2018 1:23 am

I think I can delve deep enough here to make this a proper philosophy thread, so please don't move it.

I love scenery, as do most of you. Mountains, sea, nature, etc.. You know what I mean. It can be beautiful, very beautiful. Equal to anything of beauty on a human scale, since it can have a similar impact of awe upon us as [say] the physical beauty of a human being, or of the artistry associated with any of them (music, painting etc.). I certainly have been struck dumb [for a short while] by some of the sights nature has given to me. And I remember them all, as much as any females I have coveted. Notwithstanding the fact that possibly half of our art is about our environment, not ourselves.

I'm going to being arguing here that this sense of beauty which we all have [thus] encompasses the totality of creation and hence transcends all Darwinist bullshit. In other words, our artistry - our creativeness - transcends our physicalness.

I'll be back.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why do we love scenery?

#2  Postby jamest » Jan 31, 2018 1:27 am

Please excuse me mods, I meant to post this in the philosophy forum. What happened was that I was looking at pictures of scenery and...

Well, please just move it to the philosophy forum, otherwise God is coming to the social forum.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Piper » Jan 31, 2018 1:57 am

I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread, but have a look. It's some "Darwinist bullshit" for you.
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 31, 2018 2:08 am

Again, this shows a very basic misunderstanding you have about evolution: it doesn't have to serve some sort of evolutionary purpose, it just has to not be sufficiently detrimental to not be weeded out.

That being said, I don't think it would be too difficult to think of things that would make it advantageous. You could (and probably should) try to think of a few yourself.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jamest » Jan 31, 2018 2:11 am

The_Piper wrote:I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread, but have a look. It's some "Darwinist bullshit" for you.

I'm not sure what you're trying to gain from that link, especially given that it is my point that our sense of beauty transcends Darwinist concerns. That argument holds for 'us' even if you want to include apes as 'ourselves'. Notwithstanding the fact that I do not exclude 'myself' in any ape.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 31, 2018 2:13 am

The problem seems to be that you haven't actually made the case that it "transcends Darwinist concerns", whatever that means.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jamest » Jan 31, 2018 2:16 am

I'll be back squire. The thread was spontaneous, as usual, and I'm tired. It's late here.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 31, 2018 2:28 am

I love natural beauty but beauty is not the only thing to be found in the totality of creation
There is much that is also ugly within it so when we see beauty we are being very selective

Also beauty is very subjective and so what one person thinks is beautiful may not be so for someone else
My ancestry is Celtic so I can appreciate the beauty of hills and lakes and bogs and mountains and fields
Even though I was born in a city and have lived in it all my life that will never leave me it is in my blood

I can also see beauty in things that arent usually thought of as beautiful such as a
yellow Burmese python or a lightning strike or the hexagonal honeycombs of bees
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 31, 2018 2:29 am

jamest wrote:I'll be back squire. The thread was spontaneous, as usual, and I'm tired. It's late here.

That's usually the problem. I think you'd have much more interesting and successful threads if you actually thought these things out before posting them. Spontaneity is nice, but I think you give it far more than its due.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Jan 31, 2018 2:56 am

Also beauty is very subjective and so what one person thinks is beautiful may not be so for someone else

to a point ...young babies dwell longer on attractive faces, symmetrical features etc and music is pretty universal so there is some common ground.

Admittedly extended earlobes do little for me. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Jan 31, 2018 3:29 am

Not big on those Ubangi lips or those stretched necks myself.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Jan 31, 2018 3:32 am

and ur fucking off to Africa ya silly git :roll:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Why do we love scenery?

#13  Postby felltoearth » Jan 31, 2018 3:50 am

jamest wrote:I certainly have been struck dumb [for a short while] by some of the sights nature has given to me. And I remember them all, as much as any females I have coveted.

You make this kind of comparison and you think love of natural scenery transcends the physical?
That's as Darwin as it gets.

Edit
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Piper » Jan 31, 2018 5:17 am

jamest wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread, but have a look. It's some "Darwinist bullshit" for you.

I'm not sure what you're trying to gain from that link, especially given that it is my point that our sense of beauty transcends Darwinist concerns. That argument holds for 'us' even if you want to include apes as 'ourselves'. Notwithstanding the fact that I do not exclude 'myself' in any ape.

Yes, we're apes. Like I said, I don't know what you're looking for. In other words, I don't know what your op means. This following sentence in particular
I'm going to being arguing here that this sense of beauty which we all have [thus] encompasses the totality of creation and hence transcends all Darwinist bullshit.

It sounded like you're saying that our sense of beauty is beyond what evolution could have given us. Hence, the video example that I provided of our nearest living relatives apparently enjoying the beauty of a waterfall.
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 31, 2018 7:14 am

What's funny is jamest is making a very old, very threadbare theist's argument. I remember one of my relatives once saying, "How can people look at a beautiful flower and say there's no God?" In both cases, there's this weird idea that their amazement's spoiled if it isn't the result of magic.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 31, 2018 7:30 am

Well, you see, God has orchestrated this beautiful environment for us to observe, and that's the whole point of it, to observe. Scenery serves no other purpose than a beautiful observation. Any Darwinian drive to recognise, seek out, and explore said scenery is transcended by the need for a non-corporeal mind to enjoy a fully "physical" VR experience. The idea that a nice-looking environment may be associated with things like nutrition, water, and a healthy ecosystem, are merely Darwinian red herrings on the road to enlightenment and appreciation of God's artistry.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby zulumoose » Jan 31, 2018 7:39 am

The idea that a nice-looking environment may be associated with things like nutrition, water, and a healthy ecosystem, are merely Darwinian red herrings on the road to enlightenment and appreciation of God's artistry.

Doesn't apply to all beautiful scenery

zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am

Do not be deceived by this false savannah, Darwinists. It is false and deadly, and there are no antelopes.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 01, 2018 6:08 am

Looks like jamest was still too tired to come back and flesh this one out.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jamest » Feb 01, 2018 9:06 am

I think I'll wait until they move it to the philosophy forum, as requested.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy