Why isn't it ok to rejoice at someone's death?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why isn't it ok to rejoice at someone's death?

#41  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 12, 2020 6:20 am

pelfdaddy wrote:When I am tempted to rejoice at the death of a particularly useless and injurious piece of shit, I think about infants. You know...those tiny packages of joy and promise that we love to squeeze. It helps me to elevate my thoughts to a level where I prefer to be--even though it is difficult--to recall that the above-referenced piece of shit was once one of these. I actually try to picture them in the crib, sitting in Mommy's lap, suckling, cooing...

There was a time when they were truly innocent. Something happened. That's all.

I have a similar strategy when I am tempted to place too much trust in the authority of an especially bright thinker. I just imagine them as infants also.

Being dead just means the end of other people telling you to shut the fuck up so they can get a word in. What a relief, when you think about it, for both sides of that conversation. We'll just ignore the people who talk to the dead. They're not talking to us, and they're gonna die, too.

What was that old joke? For several hours after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow. Phone calls tend to taper off.

Another one: Why do we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? Because we are not the one involved.

pelfdaddy wrote:I have a similar strategy when I am tempted to place too much trust in the authority of an especially bright thinker. I just imagine them as infants also.

Remaining busy, that's the key to avoiding spending too much time pondering death.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 27, 2020 2:06 pm

I actually had an experience relevant to this recently I don't know what to make of.

I found out someone I dislike is dying. I didn't care. I wasn't happy they were dying. They've always treated me like shit and I've almost always been the bigger person. I admit my life will be easier when they're gone. Not substantially so though, certainly not to the point of wishing them dead. I don't wish that for their family or friends. Those folks, I do feel for. The person dying though? I feel nothing for.

This is in sharp contrast with every other experience I've had with someone I dislike experiencing great misfortune. I've always felt badly for them upon finding out. Now.... I feel nothing.

Is this an age thing?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby scott1328 » Jan 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Thommo wrote:I don't think what we feel is really at debate, it's about how we act. I would certainly endorse anyone's right to think and feel what they will and say what they like in the privacy of their own home.

But when I see Westboro Baptists picketing some funeral I think they are colossal arseholes. I don't really care how they feel and I'm aware that what they are doing is not illegal and thus "ok" on legal grounds. But I'm not indifferent to it. I don't like the impact they have on the bereaved even though I don't know those people or the deceased.

I was quite happy when that piece of shit Fred Phelps finally expired, even unto rejoicing.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby sean_w » Jan 28, 2020 6:06 am

If you're anything like me it could just be a Monday thing. Wait to see how you feel on Thursday. :grin:

--//--

I tend to place a greater emphasis on chance than is probably warranted, and for all aspects of life, including our character. This likely gets in the way of any lasting enjoyment I might get from the misfortune of others.
sean_w

Print view this post

#45  Postby felltoearth » Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am

A tweet apposite Rush Limbaugh’s announcement that he has lung cancer.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Animavore » Feb 04, 2020 9:29 am

I was thinking the other day of this thread, and I thought; isn't nearly every villain in every movie set up so you can cheer their death and feel like they've deserved it?

It feels like they are tapping into something rather ubiquitous in human nature.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 04, 2020 9:33 am

I'm not sure that satisfaction and rejoicing are quite the same sentiments. I would say that the satisfaction at the downfall of most bad guys is about justice; that something wrong has been righted, a threat has been neutralized etc.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Hermit » Feb 04, 2020 10:06 am

Animavore wrote:I was thinking the other day of this thread, and I thought; isn't nearly every villain in every movie set up so you can cheer their death and feel like they've deserved it?

It feels like they are tapping into something rather ubiquitous in human nature.

I probably have not watched enough movies to say, but I do remember one where the person portrayed as the goody dispatched baddie with a whaling harpoon, even though he knew that the baddy had run out of ammunition, and I was thoroughly disgusted by that. It's actually the only detail I remember. And my revulsion, of course.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Animavore » Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am

Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:I was thinking the other day of this thread, and I thought; isn't nearly every villain in every movie set up so you can cheer their death and feel like they've deserved it?

I probably have not watched enough movies to say, but I do remember one where the person portrayed as the goody dispatched baddie with a whaling harpoon, even though he knew that the baddy had run out of ammunition, and I was thoroughly disgusted by that. It's actually the only detail I remember. And my revulsion, of course.

Dirty Harry: Dead Pool.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#50  Postby laklak » Feb 05, 2020 2:17 am

Yeah a harpoon is a bit OTT, I guess. Speargun would habe been a better choice.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2020 5:50 am

I seem to remember Billy Zane getting shot by a speargun in Dead Calm. Though ultimately he died from a signal flare from a flare gun in the mouth.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#52  Postby BlackBart » Feb 05, 2020 6:44 am

laklak wrote:Yeah a harpoon is a bit OTT, I guess. Speargun would habe been a better choice.

Captain Ahab might disagree. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby scott1328 » Feb 06, 2020 4:47 pm

felltoearth wrote:A tweet apposite Rush Limbaugh’s announcement that he has lung cancer.

This whole discussion about the ethics of rejoicing at someone's death and the recent announcement of Limbaugh's imminent demise, has led me to ponder on that age old philosophical question:

Suppose there were five people tied to a track and there was a Trolley barreling toward them, would you push Rush Limbaugh off a bridge and then go untie the people before the trolley got to them?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 06, 2020 5:23 pm

scott1328 wrote:
This whole discussion about the ethics of rejoicing at someone's death and the recent announcement of Limbaugh's imminent demise, has led me to ponder on that age old philosophical question:

Suppose there were five people tied to a track and there was a Trolley barreling toward them, would you push Rush Limbaugh off a bridge and then go untie the people before the trolley got to them?

:lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby felltoearth » Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Surely rhetorical
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby scott1328 » Feb 06, 2020 8:18 pm

felltoearth wrote:Surely rhetorical

I promise you, I will push Rush Limbaugh off a bridge every single time I see him on one.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy