Will Human Nature Ever Improve?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Will Human Nature Ever Improve?

#41  Postby Hermit » Sep 08, 2018 2:34 am

jamest wrote:Don't think that I've forgotten this thread, nor what you contradictory bozos have said here. I'll be back, at my whim.

I await your future posts with the same eagerness I value your past ones.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 08, 2018 8:54 am

Hermit wrote:

Even though I know what you meant to say, and didn't say, I'm still trying to parse how 'eagerness' functions in that sentence. I think you're probably not a native speaker of English, but you work hard at sounding like one. This one was a bridge too far, but it's one that many native speakers cannot cross, either, so don't feel bad.

"I await your future posts with an eagerness that matches my valuation of your previous ones." It's ambiguous without a smiley. Lots of members eagerly await jamest's posts because they savor a nice chew toy.

"I await your future posts with an eagerness that diminishes in proportion to how much you've posted." That's better, but points to the difference between pl0bs and jamest.

Etc.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Hermit » Sep 08, 2018 9:53 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Even though I know what you meant to say, and didn't say, I'm still trying to parse how 'eagerness' functions in that sentence.

It's a less pedantic/ponderous way of saying: "The magnitude of my eagerness with which I await your future posts equals the magnitude of my valuation of your past ones."

As you said, what I mean is clear enough. That is what matters. I am happy with my post as it stands.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 08, 2018 10:20 am

Others have already pointed out here, that Darwin was restricting his remit to biological phenomena, and that the cack-handed transplanting of his ideas to other disciplines has no bearing on the correctness thereof within their proper remit. But even within the purely biological remit Darwin restricted his ideas to, any proper understanding of his work leads to the conclusion that he viewed natural selection not as "survival of the fittest", but survival of the sufficiently competent. But of course, what counts as 'competent' in one ecological setting, may count as incompetent in another. Polar bears would be incompetent on the African savannah, and ostriches would be incompetent north of the Arctic Circle. Even more telling, what counts as 'competent' in the present, may cease to be competent in the future, and indeed, one of the possibilities that evolutionary biology opens up, is that a species that is competent now, may seal its fate in the future, by traversing a part of the fitness landscape that leads to that species being boxed in to an emerging local minimum from which it cannot escape.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Fallible » Sep 08, 2018 11:40 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Even though I know what you meant to say, and didn't say, I'm still trying to parse how 'eagerness' functions in that sentence. I think you're probably not a native speaker of English, but you work hard at sounding like one. This one was a bridge too far, but it's one that many native speakers cannot cross, either, so don't feel bad.

"I await your future posts with an eagerness that matches my valuation of your previous ones." It's ambiguous without a smiley. Lots of members eagerly await jamest's posts because they savor a nice chew toy.

"I await your future posts with an eagerness that diminishes in proportion to how much you've posted." That's better, but points to the difference between pl0bs and jamest.

Etc.

I eagerly await you getting over yourself.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby laklak » Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I like survival of the sufficiently competent. Look at the sea pig. Hard to find a category where it's "fittest", but it manages to muddle along.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 09, 2018 1:17 pm

I can top that one. How about a nudibranch that looks as if it has a green scrotum for a head? :D

Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby laklak » Sep 09, 2018 1:26 pm

I'll bet he caught a load of shit in school. Scrotehead! Timmy is a Scrotehead!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy