10 characteristic experiments of physics

triple point of water

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

10 characteristic experiments of physics

#1  Postby Christian » Oct 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello,
A few years ago, at the physics workshops at the Palais de la découverte, I saw the so-called "triple point of water" experience.
The experimenter told us that this experience was part of the "10 characteristic experiments of physics".
Unfortunately, I have not succeeded to find these "10 characteristic experiences of physics" on the internet and the Palais de la découverte has been closed.
Can you help me, please?
If not, would you know a list of other physics experiments that are as spectacular and relatively simple to perform?
Thank you and best regards.
Christian
Christian

Name: Christian Desbordes

France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: 10 characteristic experiments of physics

#2  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Christian wrote:Hello,
A few years ago, at the physics workshops at the Palais de la découverte, I saw the so-called "triple point of water" experience.
The experimenter told us that this experience was part of the "10 characteristic experiments of physics".
Unfortunately, I have not succeeded to find these "10 characteristic experiences of physics" on the internet and the Palais de la découverte has been closed.
Can you help me, please?
If not, would you know a list of other physics experiments that are as spectacular and relatively simple to perform?
Thank you and best regards.
Christian

Are you sure you mean "triple point"? The triple point is relatively unimpressive as a demonstration, where ice, water, and water vapor coexist in equilibrium, probably in a closed container, a fraction of a degree above the freezing point in a normal atmosphere.

Perhaps what you mean is that you saw the critical point demonstration, where the phase boundary between liquid and vapor disappears and a two-phase system transforms into a single phase without an obvious transport of material. For water, this is at a fairly high temperature and pressure.

Nevertheless, thanks for introducing a fascinating topic. I'm sure someone will contribute additional experiments in this spirit.

I know about a fairly abstruse demonstration of a tubeless siphon with polymeric liquids, but this is probably not on the radar of "characteristic experiments'. Ice skating is another demonstration in the physical chemistry vein -- the skater floats nearly frictionlessly on a cushion of steam created by the pressure of the skate blade on the ice. The pirouetting skater pulling in the arms and spinning faster, demonstrating conservation of angular momentum. And so on, and so forth. Characteristic experiments? I don't know. Maybe you need the resources of a museum to present ten such demonstrations.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Michelson Morley experiment which famously disproved the thing whose existence it was trying to demonstrate
Namely the luminferous ether which was supposed to be the medium that light in space was travelling through

Double Slit experiment which demonstrated that electrons could display characteristics of both waves and particles

Special Relativity which demonstrated that all motion is relative and dependent on the frame of reference of the
observer and also in a falling lift in zero gravity one would not know if they were falling or were [ relatively ] still

General Relativity which demonstrated that mass bends light and that space is very bent around stars and black holes

Galileos experiment of simultaneously dropping two objects of different mass from the same height resulting in them
hitting the ground at exactly the same time as each other instead of the heavier one first and the lighter one second

Faradays experiments demonstrating the distinct similarity between electricity and magnetism and which
lead to them being amalgamated to form electromagnetism one of the four fundamental forces of Nature

Brownian motion which demonstrated that molecules in water cause fluctuations
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm

From the 2nd link^
6.Robert Millikan’s Measurement of the Charge of Electron

None of my 60-odd fellow undergrads managed to repeat this experiment (to measure e/m for electrons) to any reasonable degree of accuracy in 1978-ish. :dunno:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics