A (really not) fun question from my physics textbook.

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

A (really not) fun question from my physics textbook.

#1  Postby LjSpike » Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm

The Question:
An escalator is used to transport people between two floors of a shopping center.
Work out the minimum power required to operate the escalator.
(Little note on the side: Try to avoid using the internet to gather data, as the question wants you to estimate everything. Genuinely, this is a real question from my physics textbook. Enjoy)
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A (really not) fun question from my physics textbook.

#2  Postby crank » Dec 08, 2016 9:02 pm

You'll have to make a lot of assumptions, like how many people at one time, avg weight of the people, and some loss to the friction and efficiency of the motor. Then it's just weight lifted a meter in time t. What is minimum, get someone to the top in less than 10 years?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Dec 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Better answer, assume they're able to walk on, so forward velocity is 3-4 mph, and assume the escalators are 45 degrees, probably more lie 30, that'll give you the vertical velocity.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Dec 08, 2016 9:28 pm

I can only wish we've had such textbooks, because what everything is is the real question.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 08, 2016 9:33 pm

I bet the answer isn't a number. I bet it's this: The minimum power used is when the escalator is empty of people. Or, you could do a good estimate of the number of exposed steps on an escalator, estimate the average weight of a person, figure two people per step, estimate the vertical lift, assume a 45% pitch, blah, blah,....
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 09, 2016 4:05 am

The answer is zero due to the people on the other side of the escalator descending to the lower floor at the same time...
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Weaver » Dec 09, 2016 4:32 am

Onyx8 wrote:The answer is zero due to the people on the other side of the escalator descending to the lower floor at the same time...

Indeed - M.C. Escher demonstrated this quite some time ago:

Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 09, 2016 6:37 am

crank wrote:You'll have to make a lot of assumptions, like how many people at one time, avg weight of the people, and some loss to the friction and efficiency of the motor. Then it's just weight lifted a meter in time t. What is minimum, get someone to the top in less than 10 years?

:this: What a terrible question.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rumraket » Dec 09, 2016 7:45 am

Is the escalator in an american shopping centre?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#10  Postby crank » Dec 09, 2016 9:00 am

Are you trying for mass estimates? And that would be shopping center, BTW.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Corneel » Dec 09, 2016 9:09 am

This is probably on of those "show your work" questions. The final answer is not important, what is important is to show that you understand the subject matter sufficiently to take into account all the variables and parameters that go into solving the question.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Rumraket » Dec 09, 2016 9:16 am

crank wrote:Are you trying for mass estimates? And that would be shopping center, BTW.

Well, it'd be the centre of mass in the midwest?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#13  Postby LjSpike » Dec 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
crank wrote:You'll have to make a lot of assumptions, like how many people at one time, avg weight of the people, and some loss to the friction and efficiency of the motor. Then it's just weight lifted a meter in time t. What is minimum, get someone to the top in less than 10 years?

:this: What a terrible question.

I'd agree its a rather terrible question.
Supposedly exam boards are judging our ability to make reasonable assumptions and estimations.
I could only even begin to answer the question when doing research on the average speed of escalators, their average angle. Weight of a person, and so on.

There is however, a worse question in the book. I'll quote both part a & b, but its just part b that is the nasty one:
11. During a spacewalk, an astronaut, of mass 60kg, becomes detached from the spacecraft and is floating out into space. She has the presence of mind to throw a spanner, of mass 1kg, at a velocity of 4m/s
a. In which direction should she throw the spanner?
b. Calculate her velocity after she has thrown the spanner.

Now, you could argue that we are meant to make a reasonable assumption as to her velocity floating away from the spacecraft, as they haven't given us that, however I'm fairly sure there isn't a normal speed to be floating away from a spacecraft at. If your floating away from your spaceship and your only hope is a spanner, then "Houston, we really do have a problem". She could be floating away at 0.1m/s, 4m/s or 50m/s. Her velocity afterward could be anything at all!
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby LjSpike » Dec 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Corneel wrote:This is probably on of those "show your work" questions. The final answer is not important, what is important is to show that you understand the subject matter sufficiently to take into account all the variables and parameters that go into solving the question.

If I hadn't seen any other of these questions, then I'd agree, and we've been comforted with the fact that supposedly the most marks on pure estimation will be a 1 or 2 mark question, but this book, genuinely wants us to have correct working AND accurate estimations.
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 09, 2016 2:14 pm

c. What day is it?

I'd throw it at my mask, depending on how far I was from the spacecraft.

Seriously, I think they're just looking to see if you consider all the correct factors, whether or not all the data is available. There IS an answer however incomplete it may be.

a) She must throw the spanner in a direction that is exactly opposite the direction of a line drawn from her center of mass to the spacecraft.

b) her velocity would be 1/60th of the velocity of the spanner. 150 mm/s

No?

<edit: read the next two posts before commenting on this one. I corrected myself>
Last edited by PensivePenny on Dec 09, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Oops... no, I don't think that was right at all.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Her velocity would be REDUCED by 150 mm/s. It depends on how fast she is drifting. You could write a formula that would include her velocity as a variable. I may be wrong about the 150 mm/s as I didn't actually do the math, but the answer is a formula. That is what they are looking for.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Weaver » Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Like most physics problems, the spanner / spacewalk one only serves to demonstrate principals (conservation of momentum) and not reality - in reality, it is nearly impossible to throw an object so the vector passes through your own center of gravity; thus instead of obtaining a neat vector solution you'd mostly have a rotational component robbing you of effective direction change.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Dec 09, 2016 4:32 pm

LjSpike wrote:
Corneel wrote:This is probably on of those "show your work" questions. The final answer is not important, what is important is to show that you understand the subject matter sufficiently to take into account all the variables and parameters that go into solving the question.

If I hadn't seen any other of these questions, then I'd agree, and we've been comforted with the fact that supposedly the most marks on pure estimation will be a 1 or 2 mark question, but this book, genuinely wants us to have correct working AND accurate estimations.

Oh in that case I take back what I said. How is accurate estimation of importance is beyond me. That is what Google is for unlike for working it out.
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby Alan B » Dec 09, 2016 10:47 pm

Rumraket wrote:Is the escalator in an american shopping centre?

Then you would have to double the mass of the people using it... :shifty: :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Physics