Chunk of the ISS crashes into Florida man’s house

All sorts of bad things happen to Florida man

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Chunk of the ISS crashes into Florida man’s house

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm

NASA confirms origin of space junk that crashed through Florida home

NASA has confirmed suspicions that the strange object that crashed into a Florida home last month did indeed come from the International Space Station (ISS). The agency analyzed the cylindrical object after it tore through the roof and two floors of a house in Naples on March 8th and established that it came from a cargo pallet of aging batteries that was released from the ISS back in 2021.

More specifically, NASA revealed in a blog post on Monday that the offending object was a support component used to mount the batteries on the 5,800-pound (2,630-kilogram) pallet released from the space station. Made from Inconel (a metal alloy that can withstand extreme environments like high temperature, pressure, or mechanical loads), the recovered stanchion weighs 1.6 pounds and measures four inches high by 1.6 inches in diameter — a smidge smaller than a standard can of Red Bull.

It was made of inconel! That alloy of nickel and chromium is designed NOT to burn up. They used it to make the combustion chambers and bells of the Saturn V F-1 engines because it doesn’t burn up.

What in hell did they expect to happen to large hunks of that alloy on reentry?

I first learned of this alloy in researching the pre-combustion chambers of the indirect injection diesel engine in my van. Those chambers are inconel inserts into the cast iron heads, there specifically to not burn up over millions of diesel fuel explosions.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Chunk of the ISS crashes into Florida man’s house

#2  Postby romansh » Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm

Like many metals the alloyed Inconel gets its refractoriness from oxide formation, particularly at along the crystal boundaries and interstices. The nickel, chromium and iron are thermodynamically unstable and it is only the oxide coating that saves the metal. My exposure to Inconel is with high temperature autoclaves. So the question is what temperature does the cylinder face see? A quick google suggests less than 200 C.
Of course abrasion of the protective layer is a concern. Space junk can reach pretty high temps.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Re: Chunk of the ISS crashes into Florida man’s house

#3  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm

The original piece is a structural thing, not a thing to withstand high heat. I wonder what structural property inconel has that made it the choice for that part. I suspect they weren’t planning for the piece’s eventual disposal by reentry.

IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2503.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 52 times
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science