Designing and building a solar power station

Applied science, crowdsourced...

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Designing and building a solar power station

#101  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm

It took far too long for my battery to arrive, and I raised hell with the vendor over it. I thought I was going to have to force them to refund my purchase and force them to pay return freight for their shit if that battery hadn’t shown up when it did. Since it arrived though, they’re once more all helpful and smiles.

I’ll still need the cable that connects the panel to the charge controller. They had a really good and simple idea for that, that I would have probably overlooked. Those cables are manufactured with weatherproof connectors on the ends, and my solar panel has two halves, so, two connectors. The connections to the charge controller are binding posts. Their good idea was to buy a cable twice as long as I actually need, and simply cut the long one in half. I’d have probably ordered two cables the length I needed and cut a connector off of each one. The longer cables are cheaper per unit length, also.

I’m not certain I’m going to set up my radio station in my office, though. The_Metatrix desires a small studio. The concrete pad already exists in my yard for it. Apparently, the pervious owner once had a gazebo there. This little solar station would power a small studio with capacity to spare, and she’ll share it with me for my ham radio station.

I’ve seen this effect before when the solving of a small problem leads to a much bigger project. I had a single leaking water pipe fitting in a house I once owned that turned into an entire bathroom renovation before I was done.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Designing and building a solar power station

#102  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 15, 2018 4:56 pm

laklak wrote:
Macdoc wrote:
Same for the water heater, which will be solar but with an assist.

Why do you ever need a water heater when you've got lots of sun.

We get prolonged rain/fog/cloud conditions, sometimes for a week or more. Solar with a power assist is very common in SD, probably half the houses have it.

Just replaced the entire battery bank in the trawler, three deep-cycle 8D AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) beasts, for a total of just under 800 amp hours. Sufficient for any overnight needs plus starting everything up in the morning. They can take 85% discharge over and over again. Cost two grand with installation and haul off of the old batteries. I'm just too old and creaky to hoist those 150 pound things in and out of the engine compartment. It was well worth the extra installation cost. We used the electric davit to hoist them on board, but then the lads had to carry them up a ladder, down a flight of steps, and lower them into the engine compartment.

Engines hadn't been started in over 3 months, when I turned the keys they both fired up in under 3 seconds. What a lovely sound.

800 aH at 13.8 volts, eh? God damn, that’s a lot of energy. Is this a welding boat?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics