e=mc2

Why is c there?

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

e=mc2

#1  Postby Adco » Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

Perhaps a dumb question but I don't have an answer.

Why is c2 in the equation? What part does the speed of light play in it? I understand that c2 gives the equation a huge energy value even for a small mass. That is a simple enough sum.

I tried looking at this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E2%8 ... l_examples but I couldn't find what I was looking for. It must be somewhere in there.

Another question; are there other ways of releasing the energy within a mass besides through nuclear reaction methods? A 1kg mass of any material,e.g. a rock, potentially has 21500kg equivalent of TNT energy within it. (according to the above Wiki article, unless I'm not understanding it correctly). If so, how can it be released/harnessed?
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: e=mc2

#2  Postby Weaver » Mar 09, 2017 11:40 am

Because energy is defined as the ability to do work - the ability to make a mass move over a distance in a period of time. C provides the distance and time elements of the equation.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Mar 09, 2017 11:51 am

Set c = 1* then E = m and the units for both are the electron-Volt, eV (see, e.g Fermilab, Tevatron, CERN & LHC).

* Also set h = 1 and 8 π G = 1, for completeness.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm

If so, how can it be released/harnessed?

Fission and fusion both rely on that yield equation but through different mechanisms ( atomic bomb ( fission ) versus hydrogen bomb ( fusion > )

Regular atomic reactors do a controlled release of energy via fission. ( there is a whole raft of approaches )

The holy grail is controlled fusion ( Iter and others )
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Very good question.

Because c is universal constant and relation between mass and energy is also universal ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulsar » Mar 09, 2017 8:24 pm

I've written a mini crash course in special relativity, hope this helps:

emc.pdf
(89.45 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Pulsar wrote:I've written a mini crash course in special relativity, hope this helps:

emc.pdf

Thanks for that. I'll keep it for future reference.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby crank » Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm

It's not like the equation plays no part in chemical reactions, the energies/masses involved are just much much smaller. But it's there in chemical reactions nonetheless. For all of the reactions, it's really binding energy differences that is the source of the energies released. Most of the mass of atoms is in binding energy, not due to the particles, the up and down quarks, electrons have insignificant mass compared to the nucleons.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Adco » Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am

newolder wrote:Set c = 1* then E = m and the units for both are the electron-Volt, eV (see, e.g Fermilab, Tevatron, CERN & LHC).

I see that setting c=1 gives an eV but it doesn't help me understand any better.

I'm not sure where this fits.

Treat me as a complete layperson. I do have a bit of insight into technical issues but I get lost easily if I skip an important stage.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Adco » Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am

tuco wrote:Very good question.

Because c is universal constant and relation between mass and energy is also universal ;)
I accept that there are constants and relationships and the theories have been proven. I just want more info as to why c is there and what role does it play. I see that e is the work that gets done. I see that m is the "fuel" that is used up. What I don't see is why c is needed.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Adco » Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am

Pulsar wrote:I've written a mini crash course in special relativity, hope this helps:

emc.pdf
Thanks for that. I guess the paragraphs between formula (11) and (13) is the crux of my question? There must be a Youtube video that shows that in simple form.

Nice formulas by the way. That would make a cool print to put on a wall.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

Adco wrote:
newolder wrote:Set c = 1* then E = m and the units for both are the electron-Volt, eV (see, e.g Fermilab, Tevatron, CERN & LHC).

I see that setting c=1 gives an eV but it doesn't help me understand any better.

I'm not sure where this fits.

Treat me as a complete layperson. I do have a bit of insight into technical issues but I get lost easily if I skip an important stage.

The SI unit of energy is the Joule (kilogram metre squared per second squared). The SI unit of mass is the kilogram. In the equation E = m c2 the c2 makes the units match - it can be considered the constant of proportionality relating mass and energy. If, instead, we choose to work in units where c=1 then the units for mass and energy become equivalent and eV (electron charge (Coulomb) x Volt (Joule per Coulomb)) is the unit chosen by physicists.

The treatment of special relativity posted by Pulsar shows how the equation is derived from the postulates of that theory and is, I feel, a better aid to understanding your initial question than my crude shortcut. :thumbup:

You are right that setting other constants to unity doesn't really fit here - I just added that for completeness (it's a mathematical trick frequently adopted by theorists that surfaces anytime I re-read my notes).

ETA
Found this at Quora that might help further...
Where-does-c-2-come-from-in-E-mc-2
Last edited by newolder on Mar 10, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Fenrir » Mar 10, 2017 9:33 am

Energy used is a function of mass times distance moved.

Distance is a measure of time travelled at speed x.

C is invariant, in a vacuum it is always the same and is independent of reference frame. That makes c a useful constant for speed x in this instance.

Turns out that when speed is constant and invatiant energy used and distance moved essentially cancel out.

*that could all be rong, i iz not a physicist but i haz vague memories from high school, what were long ago.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Adco » Mar 10, 2017 9:34 am

crank wrote:It's not like the equation plays no part in chemical reactions, the energies/masses involved are just much much smaller. But it's there in chemical reactions nonetheless. For all of the reactions, it's really binding energy differences that is the source of the energies released. Most of the mass of atoms is in binding energy, not due to the particles, the up and down quarks, electrons have insignificant mass compared to the nucleons.
From what I've read, a 1kg mass can produce about 21500kg equivalent of TNT in energy when subjected to a certain process like fission etc. Now take that 1kg to be a piece of wood and burn it in a fire. The energy released is nowhere near 21500kg of energy. I know I'm looking at it incorrectly but that is something that can really boggle a brain. I'm just rambling on.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Weaver » Mar 10, 2017 11:25 am

Adco wrote:
crank wrote:It's not like the equation plays no part in chemical reactions, the energies/masses involved are just much much smaller. But it's there in chemical reactions nonetheless. For all of the reactions, it's really binding energy differences that is the source of the energies released. Most of the mass of atoms is in binding energy, not due to the particles, the up and down quarks, electrons have insignificant mass compared to the nucleons.
From what I've read, a 1kg mass can produce about 21500kg equivalent of TNT in energy when subjected to a certain process like fission etc. Now take that 1kg to be a piece of wood and burn it in a fire. The energy released is nowhere near 21500kg of energy. I know I'm looking at it incorrectly but that is something that can really boggle a brain. I'm just rambling on.

That is because, in a fire, only chemical bonds are being broken, not nuclear bonds. No mass is actually being converted to energy. The energy release in a chemical reaction is massively smaller than that in a nuclear reaction.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby tuco » Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Fenrir wrote:Energy used is a function of mass times distance moved.

Distance is a measure of time travelled at speed x.

C is invariant, in a vacuum it is always the same and is independent of reference frame. That makes c a useful constant for speed x in this instance.

Turns out that when speed is constant and invatiant energy used and distance moved essentially cancel out.

*that could all be rong, i iz not a physicist but i haz vague memories from high school, what were long ago.

I believe, because I said it already :), its the in-pub answer OP was looking for. Otherwise one needs to go further, like Pulsar's pdf or here.

1/2mv2 does not cut it in relativity and is not universal.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby crank » Mar 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Adco wrote:

**Weaver said it. One way to look at it is that chemical processes involve shuffling of electrons/electron orbits, the binding energy differences are quite small, and electrons readily hop off-ionization. Nuclear binding energies are huge in comparisons, the differences in binding energies are therefore also huge. So nuclear processes result in far higher energy releases.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#18  Postby zoon » Mar 11, 2017 11:21 am

crank wrote:
Adco wrote:

**Weaver said it. One way to look at it is that chemical processes involve shuffling of electrons/electron orbits, the binding energy differences are quite small, and electrons readily hop off-ionization. Nuclear binding energies are huge in comparisons, the differences in binding energies are therefore also huge. So nuclear processes result in far higher energy releases.

Echoing Weaver and Crank, it's impressive that almost nothing that happens naturally close to us, at the surface of the Earth, involves one kind of atom changing to another kind of atom. For example, wood consists of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen (plus small quantities of other elements) arranged in long linked chains, and air has a certain amount of oxygen in it, arranged in 2-atom molecules buzzing around. After the wood has completely burned, there are exactly as many carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms as before, but rearranged, with the carbon in 3-atom molecules of carbon dioxide buzzing around and contributing to global warming, and the hydrogen in 3-atom molecules of water. This conservation of elements isn't at all obvious, it was worked out by chemists like Dalton and Berzelius in the early nineteenth century, building on earlier discoveries. It wasn't until the end of the nineteenth century that it was discovered that atoms (the word comes from Greek for "cannot be split") can in fact be split and changed in radioactivity. While elements stay unchanged in ordinary chemical reactions like wood burning or the chemistry of living things, there's so very little mass/energy exchange that it's almost impossible to measure. It's only when atoms are split or fused to make new elements that noticeably large quantities of energy appear, transformed from matter.
zoon

Print view this post

#19  Postby blackhash » Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am

How was the energy-mass equation deduced? e = mc2
blackhash
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: parag ramesh tamhankar

India (in)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Adco » Mar 13, 2017 7:38 am

zoon wrote:
crank wrote:
Adco wrote:

Echoing Weaver and Crank, it's impressive that almost nothing that happens naturally close to us, at the surface of the Earth, involves one kind of atom changing to another kind of atom. For example, wood consists of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen (plus small quantities of other elements) arranged in long linked chains, and air has a certain amount of oxygen in it, arranged in 2-atom molecules buzzing around. After the wood has completely burned, there are exactly as many carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms as before, but rearranged, with the carbon in 3-atom molecules of carbon dioxide buzzing around and contributing to global warming, and the hydrogen in 3-atom molecules of water. This conservation of elements isn't at all obvious, it was worked out by chemists like Dalton and Berzelius in the early nineteenth century, building on earlier discoveries. It wasn't until the end of the nineteenth century that it was discovered that atoms (the word comes from Greek for "cannot be split") can in fact be split and changed in radioactivity. While elements stay unchanged in ordinary chemical reactions like wood burning or the chemistry of living things, there's so very little mass/energy exchange that it's almost impossible to measure. It's only when atoms are split or fused to make new elements that noticeably large quantities of energy appear, transformed from matter.
And I guess that is when c comes into play.

I have a lot to think about. It is making more sense to me now. However, there is still a lot more sense to be made. I'll keep looking and learning.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics