Endless fuel and a closed cycle

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Endless fuel and a closed cycle

#21  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 07, 2017 4:36 pm

juju7 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Meanwhile, if you're looking for a way for metal to be used as a source of energy, try this ...

Courtesy of New Scientist ...

The accidental discovery of a novel aluminium alloy that reacts with water in a highly unusual way may be the first step to reviving the struggling hydrogen economy. It could offer a convenient and portable source of hydrogen for fuel cells and other applications, potentially transforming the energy market and providing an alternative to batteries and liquid fuels.

“The important aspect of the approach is that it lets you make very compact systems,” says Anthony Kucernak, who studies fuel cells at Imperial College London and wasn’t involved with the research. “That would be very useful for systems which need to be very light or operate for long periods on hydrogen, where the use of hydrogen stored in a cylinder is prohibitive.”

The discovery came in January, when researchers at the US Army Research Laboratory at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, were working on a new, high-strength alloy, says physicist Anit Giri. When they poured water on it during routine testing, it started bubbling as it gave off hydrogen.

That doesn’t normally happen to aluminium. Usually, when exposed to water, it quickly oxidises, forming a protective barrier that puts a stop to any further reaction. But this alloy just kept reacting. The team had stumbled across the solution to a decades-old problem.

Hydrogen has long been touted as a clean, green fuel, but it is difficult to store and move around because of its bulk. “The problem with hydrogen is always transportation and pressurisation,” says Giri.

Not new. It has been known for decades that an amalgam of aluminium/mercury will react with water to make hydrogen. You need only a trace of mercury, which is why mercury is banned on aircraft.

Pity they didn't do their literature search.

What gets used up? TANSTAAFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 08, 2017 3:18 pm

The new alloy, which the team is in the process of patenting, is made of a dense powder of micron-scale grains of aluminum and one or more other metals arranged in a particular nanostructure. Adding water to the mix produces aluminium oxide or hydroxide and hydrogen – lots of it. “Ours does it to nearly 100 per cent efficiency in less than 3 minutes,” says team leader Scott Grendahl. Moreover, the new material offers at least an order of magnitude more energy than lithium batteries of the same weight. And unlike batteries, it can remain stable and ready for use indefinitely.

The only way it can be ready for use indefinitely is if the aluminium is just a catalyst, so that it does not react itself.
This reminds me of the recent article about MoS2 as a catalyst for the splitting of water molecules.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, there's the rub. Aluminum oxide.

So, not only do we not find metallic aluminum just lying around, the metallic aluminum is the consumable in this reaction. I suppose it'll work as long as there are enough beer cans to be picked up from the sides of roads.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Sounds like it might be a useful single use battery, though.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby GrahamH » Aug 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Isn't it relatively expensive to mine, refine and grind iron to powder? Even recycling steel scrap must take a lot of energy.
Then there's the excessive weight involved in freighting it around the country. And ditto for the Iron oxide waste.

"The whole idea is to close the loop," Bergthorson said. "The key idea … is to have energy that goes from one place to another, but the material just goes around and around and around without losses to the environment."

How do they propose to capture 100% of the waste?

Not only that, but that iron oxide can be collected by a vacuum and then reused to burn again. It's a closed-loop system

How?

Does it even work in gravity?

How do they convert heat to motion?

Call me sceptical.

How does it compare to potential battery technology.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics