Existence of New Element Confirmed

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Existence of New Element Confirmed

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Aug 28, 2013 5:48 pm

An international team of researchers, led by physicists from Lund University, has confirmed the existence of what is considered a new element with atomic number 115. The experiment was conducted at the GSI research facility in Germany. The results confirm earlier measurements performed by research groups in Russia.

By bombarding a thin film of americium with calcium ions, the research team was able to measure photons in connection with the new element’s alpha decay. Certain energies of the photons agreed with the expected energies for X-ray radiation, which is a ‘fingerprint’ of a given element.

The new super-heavy element has yet to be named.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091636.htm
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Existence of New Element Confirmed

#2  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Without reading the article, I'm predicting a half-life of less than a second.

EDIT: no half-life mentioned. :(
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Temporary name is ununpentium.

It has been unofficially observed since 2003 but has just been officially confirmed. More details on the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununpentium

Half life is estimated to be ~200 ms. I win a cookie.

The 'pent' in the name meaning 5 I'm guessing refers to its having 5 electrons in the outermost shell, but the wiki page doesn't specify.

Its electron shell:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sityl » Aug 28, 2013 7:54 pm

The amount of "it's not a real element if it was only in a lab" comments on huffington post made me have a sad.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Sityl wrote:The amount of "it's not a real element if it was only in a lab" comments on huffington post made me have a sad.

That is quite an ignorant statement (Huffington's not yours) since they are most likely produced in supernovae. Can't get more natural than that.

It is very rare to produce something in a lab that nature doesn't already produce or has already produced.
Last edited by CdesignProponentsist on Aug 28, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sityl » Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Sityl wrote:The amount of "it's not a real element if it was only in a lab" comments on huffington post made me have a sad.

That is quite an ignorant statement (Huffington's not yours) since they are most likely produced in supernovae. Can't get more natural than that.

I did see one reply which stated that, but alas, every other post was about how it's not "really" an element. :P They probably read plato or something.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Sityl wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:

I did see one reply which stated that, but alas, every other post was about how it's not "really" an element. :P They probably read plato or something.

Is their argument that it isn't stable?

If so then plutonium falls under that same category which are the transuranic elements. I don't see why they should not be declassified as elements when they are already distinguished from other elements. They are still real and still have real chemistry albeit a very short lived opportunity to react with anything.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Sityl » Aug 28, 2013 8:22 pm

I think the thought is that it is "invented," and there fore "unnatural," which just boils down to a no true scotsman fallacy.

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 28, 2013 8:31 pm

The funny part about this, is that element 116 has been named - Livermorium. Apparently it was easier to synthesise element 116 in the laboratory than element 115, which has something to do with the proposed "island of stability" among heavy nuclei with certain numbers of protons and neutrons. The stablest nuclei are those whose numbers of protons and neutrons equate to complete "nuclear shells" of each particle. Courtesy of the rather intricate quantum mechanical calculations involved, the numbers in question form a rather interesting sequence.

Elements with nucleon numbers closest to those special values enjoy extra stability. It's possible that some of the isotopes of these elements will have half-lives measured in seconds or even minutes, as opposed to milliseconds.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Sityl wrote:I think the thought is that it is "invented," and there fore "unnatural," which just boils down to a no true scotsman fallacy.

Which is still retarded, because it wasn't invented. It's the natural and inevitable conclusion of physical laws, not the brainchild of some tinkerer. It is also a forgone conclusion that nature has already produced the stuff and you would also have to say the same for plutonium, which I've never heard anyone ever claim plutonium isn't an element.

Again, I understand this isn't your opinion, not arguing with you :D
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby klazmon » Aug 29, 2013 12:04 am

The wikipedia on ununpentium article suggests that element 115 may have isotopes that are more stable than those produced so far. The problem being that more neutrons are needed to reach a "magic number" filled shell scenario.

Wikipedia wrote:All the reported above isotopes of element 115, obtained by nuclear collisions of lighter nuclei, are severely neutron-deficient, because the proportion of neutrons to protons needed for maximum stability increases with atomic number. The most stable isotope will probably be 299Uup, with 184 neutrons, a known "magic" closed-shell number conferring exceptional stability, making it (with one further proton outside the "magic number" of 114 protons) both the chemical and the nuclear homolog of 209Bi; but the technology required to add the required neutrons presently does not exist. This is because no known combination of target and projectile can result in the required neutrons. It has been suggested[by whom?] that such a neutron-rich isotope could be formed by quasifission (fusion followed by fission) of a massive nucleus, multi-nucleon transfer reactions in collisions of actinide nuclei, or by the alpha decay of a massive nucleus (although this would depend on the stability of the parent nuclei towards spontaneous fission).
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics