I Watched 7 UFOs Over the UK

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

I Watched 7 UFOs Over the UK

#1  Postby Ironclad » Feb 14, 2020 9:06 am

Night before last I watched seven bright objects following one another, they appeared to be in low-Earth orbit and nearly perfect in dispersal. Wasn't there a satellite launch this week, and a 'threat' of 100s more? They really were bright.
If there are more of these things planned you can say goodbye to the night sky.
Or, aliens..
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: I Watched 7 UFOs Over the UK

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 14, 2020 10:20 am

It being one of the most heavy air traffic areas in the world, I would expect that they weren't truly 'unidentified'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Feb 14, 2020 11:01 am

Probably a cluster of Starlink satellites.

What that bright convoy of lights orbiting above Gloucestershire is and how to see them for yourself from the Gloucestershire Life of February 13th.

See also today's spaceweather.com for the full story on this:

Above: Astronomers at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory were trying to photograph nearby galaxies when 19 Starlink satellites intervened.

Ground based astronomy is hampered and the launch of the James Webb space telescope is delayed beyond early next year. Heigh ho.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am

Ironclad wrote:Night before last I watched seven bright objects following one another, they appeared to be in low-Earth orbit and nearly perfect in dispersal.

Near an airport?

Driving down very slowly in heavy traffic on Edgeware Road, Enmore one stinking hot evening after work I saw something like that. In my truck I sat about a metre higher than everybody else, so I got a beautiful view of the everything bathed in a rich, golden glow as the sun was about to set. Above and ahead of me was a a series of regularly spaced out icy cold lights shining like diamonds on an invisible string, slowly descending into the distance. I could see five or six of them at a time. Every time one disappeared, another came into view from above my cab. They were aeroplanes approaching Kingsford Smith Airport during its rush-hour. Later I found out that they had to keep a 1600 metre distance from each other in order to avoid the turbulence of the plane they were following as they land.

It was an unspeakably beautiful couple of minutes. Unfortunately the year was 1995 or thereabouts. Digital cameras were yet to become common consumer items and mobile phones were not equipped to take photos or film.

Oh. Newolder has the real story about those lights, but thanks for reminding be of a beautiful moment anyway.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Feb 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Elon bloody Musk huh. I might go and stick a bright light up his 'night garden' :mob:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

They could paint them black with this ...

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science