Ingenuity Flies on Mars

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Ingenuity Flies on Mars

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm

First flight of a powered aircraft on another world! :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Ingenuity Flies on Mars

#2  Postby james1v » Apr 20, 2021 11:10 pm

is there a carrion to attract these mars flies? i thought there was no life on mars?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby james1v » Apr 20, 2021 11:16 pm

;)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Apr 20, 2021 11:45 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

First flight of a powered aircraft on another world! :cheers:

Video footage of the flight at 42:05 - 42:20.

Better quality video arrived on earth some hours later.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Piper » Apr 21, 2021 1:24 am

Interplanetary birb. The rotors have to spin ridiculously fast, but it must take less energy to do that in the thin atmosphere. Hopefully they can put it to good use before the redneck apocalypse hits here on Earth. :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Apr 21, 2021 10:22 am

Alternate headline.

“Mars neighbourhood annoyed by drone.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Piper » Apr 21, 2021 3:39 pm

felltoearth wrote:Alternate headline.

“Mars neighbourhood annoyed by drone.”

Breaking news "Redneck shoots down Ingenuity because he thought it was spying on his Martian daughter." :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Apr 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Wouldn’t they all be rednecks on Mars?

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » Apr 22, 2021 12:28 am

:lol: Ok change it to "Purpleneck shoots down Ingenuity."
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby felltoearth » Apr 22, 2021 3:10 am

:)

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Less flashy, but much more exciting:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56844601

An instrument on Nasa's Perseverance rover on Mars has made oxygen from the planet's carbon dioxide atmosphere.

It's the second successful technology demonstration on the mission, which flew a mini-helicopter on Monday.

The oxygen generation was performed by a toaster-sized unit in the rover called Moxie - the Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment.

It made 5 grams of the gas - equivalent to what an astronaut at Mars would need to breathe for roughly 10 minutes.

Mars' atmosphere is dominated by carbon dioxide (CO₂) at a concentration of 96%. Oxygen is only 0.13%, compared with 21% in Earth's atmosphere.

Moxie is able to strip oxygen atoms from CO₂ molecules, which are made up of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. The waste product is carbon monoxide, which is vented to the Martian atmosphere.

“Moxie isn’t just the first instrument to produce oxygen on another world, it’s the first technology of its kind that will help future missions 'live off the land', using elements of another world’s environment, also known as in-situ resource utilisation,” said Trudy Kortes, director of technology demonstrations within Nasa’s Space Technology Mission Directorate.

"It’s taking regolith, the substance you find on the ground, and putting it through a processing plant, making it into a large structure, or taking carbon dioxide – the bulk of the atmosphere – and converting it into oxygen. This process allows us to convert these abundant materials into useable things: propellant, breathable air, or, combined with hydrogen, water."
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Piper » Apr 22, 2021 3:43 pm

This is huge. Again, I hope humans can put it to good use before the redneck apocalypse. Or as Sagan would often stipulate about our future "if we don't blow ourselves up first".
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Challenger007 » May 06, 2021 10:00 am

Spearthrower wrote:Less flashy, but much more exciting:

An instrument on Nasa's Perseverance rover on Mars has made oxygen from the planet's carbon dioxide atmosphere.

It's the second successful technology demonstration on the mission, which flew a mini-helicopter on Monday.

The oxygen generation was performed by a toaster-sized unit in the rover called Moxie - the Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment.

It made 5 grams of the gas - equivalent to what an astronaut at Mars would need to breathe for roughly 10 minutes.

Mars' atmosphere is dominated by carbon dioxide (CO₂) at a concentration of 96%. Oxygen is only 0.13%, compared with 21% in Earth's atmosphere.

Moxie is able to strip oxygen atoms from CO₂ molecules, which are made up of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. The waste product is carbon monoxide, which is vented to the Martian atmosphere.

“Moxie isn’t just the first instrument to produce oxygen on another world, it’s the first technology of its kind that will help future missions 'live off the land', using elements of another world’s environment, also known as in-situ resource utilisation,” said Trudy Kortes, director of technology demonstrations within Nasa’s Space Technology Mission Directorate.

"It’s taking regolith, the substance you find on the ground, and putting it through a processing plant, making it into a large structure, or taking carbon dioxide – the bulk of the atmosphere – and converting it into oxygen. This process allows us to convert these abundant materials into useable things: propellant, breathable air, or, combined with hydrogen, water."

The technology is just super! But let's not forget that nitrogen is still present in the earth's atmosphere. To create an artificial atmosphere, nitrogen is needed and, perhaps, an imitation of the Earth's ozone layer. But I think that over time, a solution will be found on this issue.
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2021 10:22 am

True, but past missions have already established the availability of nitrogen in biologically useful quantities in the soil in the form of nitric oxides and compounds, like nitrate salts, and freeing that nitrogen is easy as it just takes heat.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/mars-nitrogen

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Hermit » May 06, 2021 11:26 am

Challenger007 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Less flashy, but much more exciting:

Rubbish. The discovery of ingenuity flies on Mars is much more exciting than the manufacture of oxygen on that planet. The implications of finding exoplanetary life are revolutionary.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2021 12:19 pm

My Grandad would have laughed.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Piper » May 06, 2021 6:04 pm

I think making a breathable atmosphere on another planet is a fantasy at this time. Plus the magnetic field and as mentioned, ozone layer, seem like an equally questionable feat. How can you make a magnetosphere? Add enough mass to Mars that it's core becomes molten? This is why protecting what we have on Earth is paramount.
O'neil cylinders are a more realistic goal, and even they are a pipe dream right now. Making oxygen on Mars is to fill up the oxygen tanks rather than having to lug enough all the way from Earth.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2021 7:57 pm

The_Piper wrote:I think making a breathable atmosphere on another planet is a fantasy at this time.

Right, but making a sustainable breathable atmosphere inside a dome, perhaps not far off at all. :naughty2:

Red planet colonization in our lifetime! Let's believe!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Piper » May 06, 2021 8:59 pm

:lol: That might be doable pretty soon. I'm not too enthusiastic about it, believe it or not. Exploration, yes. I want to know if there is life, that's what matters the most to me. To quote Sagan again "if there's life, then Mars belongs to the Martians." :)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2021 10:00 pm

The_Piper wrote::lol: That might be doable pretty soon. I'm not too enthusiastic about it, believe it or not. Exploration, yes. I want to know if there is life, that's what matters the most to me. To quote Sagan again "if there's life, then Mars belongs to the Martians." :)

Fuck the Martians, we need new baskets to spread out these eggs! :grin:

I think we should consider life 'sacred' - if there's more life out there in the universe, we should protect it as best we can. But at present, we're the only things we know of in the universe that has any sense of a scope of or recognizing the value of life and therefore working to preserving. We're shit at it now, I sadly acknowledge, but we can aspire and we can hope that our species nurtures this aspect of our nature. In the meantime, we have to stay alive and that means colonizing other rocks, building knowledge and expertise, and stretching out beyond the range of any first planetary, then system, then finally local disasters.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Astronomy & Space Science