Is the speed of light proportional to age of the universe?

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Is the speed of light proportional to age of the universe?

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 14, 2017 7:54 am

What if the speed of light varies proportionally to the age of the universe, i.e. It was near infinite at the singularity and reads what we find it as now.

A joke by Feynman got me wondering - maybe it isn't a joke.

"Time is what happens when nothing else happens"
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Is the speed of light proportional to age of the universe?

#2  Postby Adco » Mar 14, 2017 8:17 am

So, we are measuring c at todays value and finding it to be about 300 000km/s and because we have only been measuring c for a very small portion of the age of the universe, we haven't noticed that c is becoming slower. In 10 billion years time it might have slowed down so much that we could walk faster than c. That's going to be interesting.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Mar 14, 2017 10:30 am

From the CERN document server: pdf link to: New varying speed of light theories by Joa ̃o Magueijo. Long read - much work - have fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Maybe we need to amend the definition of the metre with the addition of a simple clause - at such and such a time the speed of light was measured at and therefore a metre is ...

Is there an issue here caused by Newtonian thinking not allowing an evolving universe? I thought it was agreed time is stretched near black holes, why not also at the Big Bang?

Are singularities an artefact of constant sized seconds?

Are many of the issues of why are the constants as they are actually Douglas Adam's puddle problem?

An evolving bouncing universe where the constants also evolve does make sense. It probably needs a rewrite of how we perceive the universe, but we currently are messing around with strange complications like dark energy and mass :-)
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby crank » Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Isn't 'c' such a ubiquitous term in physics that we'd see any significant deviation in a huge array oi shit? One example, the spectra of distant galaxies, wouldn't there be evidence if light behaved other than expected?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulsar » Mar 14, 2017 5:35 pm

crank wrote:Isn't 'c' such a ubiquitous term in physics that we'd see any significant deviation in a huge array oi shit? One example, the spectra of distant galaxies, wouldn't there be evidence if light behaved other than expected?

Correct. Observations of distant quasars show that the speed of light has changed less than 5% over the past 12 billion years.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm

From link above. I favour this theory, although it is labelled extreme by the author, as it is the only one that takes a whole system perspective- the laws must have evolved with the universe, where else did they come from?

In this model both postulates of special relativity are violated: there is a preferred frame in physics (usually identified with the cosmological frame); the speed of light varies in time, although usually only in the very early Universe; and the time-translation invariance of physics is broken [43]. It describes a world where not only the matter content of the universe, but also the laws of physics evolve in time.

The basic dynamical postulate is that Einstein’s field equations are valid,10
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 22, 2017 8:19 pm

James Gleik discusses time machines in one of his books.

He comments that Newton constructed a model of the universe that presumed many fixed assumptions. These are still around in maths and physics, but isn't that illogical? Where did these laws come from?

We have a model that deals with change and construction of structures- evolution. I think we have no choice but to look for change and evolution everywhere, so yes , that means time changes.

I wonder if we don't seriously think through what we are saying, and then over complicate things by not thinking them through.

What does expansion and inflation of the universe mean when it is spacetime? If space is expanding what is happening to time?

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Energy can not be created or destroyed.

Might the universe be an eternal three body problem? Nothing, something them interacting eternally?

Einstein did not allow time to be relative enough, to evolve and change as the universe evolves.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Paul1 » Jul 15, 2017 5:48 am

Probably the answer is no, it is a constant constant for this reason: http://www.wikihow.com/Derive-the-Speed ... -Equations

μ0 is the "magnetic constant" - represents the emergence of a magnetic field by a moving charge.
ε0 is the "electric constant" - represents the emergence of an electric field by a moving charge.

The fact that measuring the forces between wires should derive constants that can be used to determine the constant c, which is the same as the speed of light, surely cannot be a coincidence.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics