New possible 'source' for Earth's Oxygen

Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics & Physics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: New possible 'source' for Earth's Oxygen

#41  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 04, 2017 12:44 pm

DavidMcC wrote:There is one way an extrasolar planet can have an oxygen atmosphere without life:

How would a planet orbiting a white dwarf still have an atmosphere of any kind? I'm assuming that star has already been through the red giant stage of its evolution.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:There is one way an extrasolar planet can have an oxygen atmosphere without life:

How would a planet orbiting a white dwarf still have an atmosphere of any kind? I'm assuming that star has already been through the red giant stage of its evolution.

I suppose it depends on the detailed history of that particular system. Do you have any reason to suppose that there couldn't be an atmosphere on such a planet. If the star is in the main sequence and the planet is far enough away from the star, then I don't see why it couldn't hang on to at least some atmosphere.

EDIT: I suppose that the mere fact that it is an oxygen white dwarf makes it not a main sequence star straight away, doesn't it?
Last edited by DavidMcC on Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby newolder » Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm

If the star is "in the main sequence" (Hertzprung Russell) then it's not (yet) a white dwarf. :doh:
wikipedia
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2017 2:51 pm

newolder wrote:If the star is "in the main sequence" (Hertzprung Russell) then it's not (yet) a white dwarf. :doh:

Splitting hairs, because not all stars end up as white dwarves or go through a red giant phase, or a main sequence star.

EDIT: The more massive stars, that end up as neutron stars or black holes, for example.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby newolder » Jan 04, 2017 3:02 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:If the star is "in the main sequence" (Hertzprung Russell) then it's not (yet) a white dwarf. :doh:

Do you not understand that even main sequence stars have modes of death, oftenending up as white dwarf? : doh:

I understand that some main sequence stars shed their outer layers during a red giant phase to become white dwarf stars. Do you now understand (as shown in the diagram) that white dwarf stars are not "in the main sequence"?

I see you have edited changed your post:
DavidMcC wrote:...
Splitting hairs, because not all stars end up as white dwarves or go through a red giant phase, or a main sequence star.

I'm not splitting hairs because I did not write what this change is attempting to criticise.
EDIT: The more massive stars, that end up as neutron stars or black holes, for example.

I agree that these objects are not white dwarf stars either.
Last edited by newolder on Jan 04, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2017 3:09 pm

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Do you not understand that even main sequence stars have modes of death, oftenending up as white dwarf? : doh:

I understand that some main sequence stars shed their outer layers during a red giant phase to become white dwarf stars. Do you now understand (as shown in the diagram) that white dwarf stars are not "in the main sequence"?

I always understood that, newolder. This is a side-track. The thread was meant to be about planets with oxygen but no life, remember? Now you've taken it into competely different territory, because of a different interpretation of the terminology.
To me, the main sequence should include the death phases of the star, even if they are not called "main sequence" any more.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby newolder » Jan 04, 2017 3:15 pm

DavidMcC wrote:...
To me, the main sequence should include the death phases of the star, even if they are not called "main sequence" any more.

Who cares?
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Time to end the detour? Sorry I misused the term, "main sequence", OK?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 1:00 am

interesting i found this and wanted to share.
Earth's water is older than the Sun | Astronomy.com

this is indeed new story,but when i was a child,i was taught that in the begging,before the formation and evolution of the solar system,that God throne was on the water.
translated “and His Throne was on the water”

i see now clearly the connection.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 04, 2017 1:16 am

We have many thrones on water where I live. They are connected to the plumbing.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby mindhack » Feb 04, 2017 7:52 am

Creative poo
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#52  Postby The_Piper » Feb 04, 2017 8:29 am

LucidFlight wrote:We have many thrones on water where I live. They are connected to the plumbing.
I was just thinking about one of those, what a co-inkydink!
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby tolman » Feb 04, 2017 12:57 pm

All kinds of cute little creation myths involve starting off with water.

For anyone daft enough to try and misrepresent science to support religious fables or shaky belief, the issue of the 'age' of the Solar System's water is a moronic thing to choose.
Clearly, either way, the atoms making up the water long pre-dated the solar system, the only question was how much was already in combined into H2O and survived.
And, of course, 'water' pre-dating the solar system wasn't in the form of liquid water anyway. A less-shit scriptural reference would be more like "and his throne was drifting between fucktons of mucky ice grains"
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physical Sciences & Mathematics