'Planet' Pluto comes into view

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Planet' Pluto comes into view

#21  Postby newolder » May 12, 2015 9:03 pm

5 moons accounted for (Charon was seen earlier):
source
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby newolder » May 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Latest release:
more
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 27, 2015 9:41 pm

They have this one with three images combined, two more recent and from different faces. It looks like Pluto will have a feature rich surface. I'm giddy with excitement.

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby newolder » May 30, 2015 6:48 pm

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby newolder » Jun 03, 2015 2:24 pm

NASA will host a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, June 3, to discuss the Hubble Space Telescope’s surprising observations of how Pluto’s moons behave, and how these new discoveries are being used in the planning for the New Horizons Pluto flyby in July.

NASA news audio page: http://www.nasa.gov/news/media/newsaudio/index.html

Slides from the talk (inc. youtube of Nix's chaotic orbit):
http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/bri ... to-s-moons
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am

So if the barycentre of the Pluto-Charon system is above Pluto's surface, how many G's would I feel if I were standing on Pluto, with Charon overhead? Would I be almost weightless?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby newolder » Jun 04, 2015 10:17 am

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/fa ... ofact.html

very roughly, 1/20 g, so you'd weigh 5kg for every 100kg on Earth...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#28  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 04, 2015 10:28 am

newolder wrote:http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/plutofact.html

very roughly, 1/20 g, so you'd weigh 5kg for every 100kg on Earth...

Thanks, but I read that as the mean surface gravitation for Pluto, not the gravitation under the Charon-Pluto axis. My question is really what subtraction from Pluto's gravitation would standing under Charon provide? I could figure out the gravitation from Charon at that radius and subtract it, if I could be arsed. :)

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby newolder » Jun 04, 2015 11:21 am

My sums could be wrong but I calculate the gravitational force of Charon on a test mass (1 kg) on the surface of Pluto (19 600 km away) as fractions of millinewtons. Measurable but tiny.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 04, 2015 11:23 am

Ah well, I'll have to look elsewhere to try weightlessness on the surface of a world. :sigh:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Interesting question. If the center of mass is above you, why wouldn't you feel negative total weight?

It is because you are closer to the mass at your feet than the mass in Charon above you. So when close to Pluto (as standing on the surface) you are far more influenced by Pluto's gravity. But as you approach the center of mass above, it switches to Charon having more influence.

If you were not standing on the surface of Pluto but were still at the same distance from the center of mass, you would then be attracted to the center of mass.

So it is your proximity to Pluto that keeps you attached to Pluto.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 04, 2015 8:40 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Interesting question. If the center of mass is above you, why wouldn't you feel negative total weight?

It is because you are closer to the mass at your feet than the mass in Charon above you. So when close to Pluto (as standing on the surface) you are far more influenced by Pluto's gravity. But as you approach the center of mass above, it switches to Charon having more influence.

If you were not standing on the surface of Pluto but were still at the same distance from the center of mass, you would then be attracted to the center of mass.

So it is your proximity to Pluto that keeps you attached to Pluto.

That and my Velcro booties. :awesome:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 05, 2015 12:04 am

Is the surface the hooks or fuzz?
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 05, 2015 11:26 am

Definitely the fuzz. You'll see - New Horizons will reveal all, and if it doesn't, I can just blame the high flyby velocity. :shifty:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby scott1328 » Jun 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Are we there yet?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm

newolder wrote:My sums could be wrong but I calculate the gravitational force of Charon on a test mass (1 kg) on the surface of Pluto (19 600 km away) as fractions of millinewtons. Measurable but tiny.

Wouldn't the result depend on where on the surface you measued it? As Cdesign... pointed out, you would float above the surface of Pluto if you were directly underneath Charon, but this would only happen when you are near the centre of gravity of the system, and can look up at Charon in the (black) "sky".
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby newolder » Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:My sums could be wrong but I calculate the gravitational force of Charon on a test mass (1 kg) on the surface of Pluto (19 600 km away) as fractions of millinewtons. Measurable but tiny.

Wouldn't the result depend on where on the surface you measued it? As Cdesign... pointed out, you would float above the surface of Pluto if you were directly underneath Charon, but this would only happen when you are near the centre of gravity of the system, and can look up at Charon in the (black) "sky".

I don't understand your question. Sorry.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 10, 2015 4:15 pm

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

I don't understand your question. Sorry.

It wasn't a question, newolder, I was building on Cdesign...'s earlier point.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby newolder » Jun 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Wouldn't the result depend on where on the surface you measued it?

This is not a question? Ok, I'll just slide over here and keep quiet...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Newolder, do you appreciate that net g is not constant over Pluto's surface, due to the proximity of Charon.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science