Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

Will you be in the path of totality? if so, where? Pics, etc.

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

#61  Postby kiore » Aug 22, 2017 12:18 am

I was midtown Manhattan, was a bit cloudy, but got my best view that way as had a moment when I saw the reflection in the cloud. Also watched with some borrowed eclipse glasses, the crowd I was in had 1 between 10 but strangers were offering their glasses around so everyone could have a peek. Supposed to be 72% here and didn't get dark, but quite a good view.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Pulsar » Aug 22, 2017 2:07 am

A perfect shot

Credit goes to Redditor cursetenj
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#63  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2017 2:38 am

Did a pinhole setup. Peak in Toronto, a little over 70%.

IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 218 times

We were on the tar roof of our building. At peak, it must have been about 5-10dC cooler. Light was yellowy orange.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Animavore » Aug 23, 2017 4:02 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#65  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Viewing from the path of totality, just south of Albany, Oregon.

Note how my shadow is sharp on the right side, but nowhere else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Some dude with a jet, making big damned circles over us during the eclipse. I bet he was high enough to see the shadow on the ground.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Housecam was a great success for my family, who stayed back in Centralia, to view 96% totality. The projected disc of the sun is about 30 mm in diameter, but she didn't get any pictures of it.

K's parents are showing up for a visit this afternoon. I think I'll leave housecam installed to show her father, who was a professional photographer.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby felltoearth » Aug 23, 2017 4:45 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Viewing from the path of totality, just south of Albany, Oregon.

Note how my shadow is sharp on the right side, but nowhere else?

Cool
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

#69  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Here's the thing: our viewing site was at an AirBnB. It was a farmhouse. After the eclipse, I checked with my wife, and she reported that traffic north on interstate highway 5 was normal.

I don't much like being apart from my family. I decided not to go south for an hour to Veneta to join my viewing party for an after eclipse barbecue, but to just go north from Albany and head home.

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ. That was a major mistake of my life. I needed to get 175 miles (280 km) north, traveling by motorcycle. My plan was going well, until I got to the first rest stop north of Salem. Blocked. Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people from all points north of Albany were trying to drive home.

So, I hung out at that rest stop for an hour. The tail had moved on. It looked like I was in business. I fucking wasn't. What should have been a four hour ride turned into a fairly dangerous epic trek of thirteen miserable and dangerous fucking hours.

I had shelter with me (my tent), so I suppose if it had gotten any worse than I endured, I could have just escaped the highway and pitched camp somewhere.

The hazards I faced were primarily from other traffic. In stop and go congestion, bumper cars is pretty common when the queue starts to accordion, as it was all day. A motorcycle simply cannot survive the slightest contact like that. So, I had to be hyper-vigilant of all vehicles around me to guard against it. Another way I mitigated that risk was to ride close to the right shoulder. That gave me an escape path to avoid collisions.

Some of the time, the queues were moving faster than my idling speed. But, most of the time, they weren't. That meant I'd be forced to slip my clutch for hours on end, while risking my engine overheating due to lack of cooling airflow. Instead, I idled down the shoulder when the queues stopped entirely.

The driver of some fire department's incident command truck (not responding to emergency, just in traffic) tooted his siren horn thing and yelled at me that what I was doing was illegal. Yeah, whatever. It was the least unsafe thing available to me. The alternatives were to risk unsurvivable collision, overheat the engine, or simply stop on the shoulder. None of those were any safer. I risked the citation and rolled on.

At one point still south of Portland, I pulled off the road to simply rest and cool myself down. It was a 90 degree day, and I was riding atop a big goddamned heat engine that wasn't getting cooled well. I was carrying two canisters (about 1.5 L) of water. I drink both of those down at that stop. I'm pretty sure I was getting severely dehydrated and was on the verge of becoming a heat casualty. Taking that break for a half hour or so probably avoided a medical emergency to which no one could have reached me to respond.

Using navigation on my phone chewed through most of my battery. I got to the point where I was switching it off, and just turning it on when I stopped to get a fix and update K on my status. She was quite a wreck at home, pretty worried about my trip.

I own one of those external pocket sized batteries to recharge phones. I didn't bring it. Nor do I have the cable to pick up 12V DC from my motorcycle to keep my phone charged. Bad planning, but not life threatening. Still, I know what to do better about that.

I need to take paper maps with me.

I also own a big 200 ounce (nearly 6 liters) Camelback water pack. I should have brought that, worn it, and I could have stayed very well hydrated, even while riding.

Fuel was always a concern. My trigger to refuel was when I had used half my supply. Refuel at the next opportunity after that. I never got into a fuel emergency, so that plan worked.

Here's the important lesson from that: in any kind of regional disaster scenario, the road system will become useless. You will not be able to leave the area. Most likely, you will run out of fuel and be forced to abandon your vehicle. You will find yourself in a survival situation, rapidly. Unless it means death to remain, you better prepare to shelter in place. This is no shit, people.

I was delayed for a day by nothing other than eclipse viewers clogging the roads. If everyone tried to leave an area, you probably wouldn't make it to the highway anyway.

It turns out that waiting a day wouldn't have helped a lot. Yesterday, there was a wildfire just north of Centralia, that blocked the interstate for hours. It was called the Scatter Creek fire, if you want to read about it.

The highways are dramatically inadequate here.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby proudfootz » Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Geez! Sucks the traffic was such a pain.

This town seemed empty, and I'm guessing a fair number of people decided to view the whole thing in someplace more rural.

But the eclipse turned out to be pretty impressive even viewed from someplace where there are sidewalks.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

It was the worst traffic situation I've ever seen. I probably should have turned south and returned to that AirBnB farm for a day or two. Southbound lanes were moving slowly at that rest stop just north of Albany. If I'd have turned around, I'd have only had to deal with that for a few miles.

Hindsight is pretty clear.

I was consciously making effort to keep calm during the day of hell. You lose your judgment when you're angry and make bad decisions. For example, I made sure to stop and slather on SPF 50 sunblock when I took off my heavy rising jacket when it got too hot to wear it. That could have turned into second degree sunburn or worse on both of my arms over the course of an entire day in full sunlight.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby theropod » Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Sorry to hear it Jesse, but it was a blast having you there. We are back in the Sacramento area after a run down the coast. We did the redwood thing and saw some amazing scenery, but fires kept us from visiting Crater Lake.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm

I did some checking, and this was the first total eclipse I've seen. The path of totality of the eclipse in 1979 missed me by a hundred miles or so. I was in high school then, and I do remember the twilight and weird shadows. We used handheld pinhole projection to view that one.

We never got to Crater Lake during the two years we lived in Eugene. One of the things we missed.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 24, 2017 6:14 pm

That was an expedition to meet Theropod, wife, and son, and to see that eclipse. Proudfootz had extended an invitation, and thank you for that. Theropod's son had already made plans to meet elsewhere.

There's already conflict for the 2024 eclipse. It will pass Theropod's home closely, if not directly, and it will also pass The_Metatrix's parents' house in northern New York. That one's in April. I think we'll have to look closely at weather patterns as April 2024 approaches, to see which location will be more favorable.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby theropod » Aug 24, 2017 11:52 pm

I have been a witness to several partial eclipse events, but never totality. I was awestruck, gob smacked, stunned by the suddenness of it all. One second it was similar to dusk and the next it was dark. It was far too brief. The two minutes seemed like 30 seconds. Hopefully our 2024 event will be granted clear skies and the totality will last longer. If we win the lottery chasing these could become a thing.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby don't get me started » Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am

I am pretty envious of you guys catching the totality. Mind you I had my own 'watcher of the skies' episode during my recent trip back to the UK. Living in the heart of the Kansai region, the light pollution from Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto pretty much obscures all but the very brightest stars.

(I just took a quick walk to the convenience store here...completely clear skies. I could see the crescent of the moon in the south western sky and a total of half a dozen other celestial bodies: Jupiter Saturn and a few stars).

Back in rural West Cumbria two weeks ago I walked my sister back to her house and on my walk home at near midnight my night vision kicked in and I stopped to see the sky filled with thousands upon thousand of stars. The Milky Way (Or ama no gawa 天の川 in Japanese, a name I like) was clearly visible and it was right when the Perseid meteor shower was happening. I caught sight of a fair number as they streaked across the sky. I located Cassiopeia and then narrowed down towards Pegasus and I feel sure that I caught the faint blur of Andromeda using peripheral vision. It has been many many years since I have seen the night sky like that and I'd forgotten how beautiful it is. I like big city life but I do miss the starscaped night sky.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science