A question about dark matter

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: A question about dark matter

#41  Postby hackenslash » May 25, 2014 6:58 pm

General Relativity.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby Rumraket » May 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Supposing dark matter particles formed sometime around the time of the formation of baryonic matter following the big bang, wouldn't it simply be distributed roughly equally throughout space initially? Then as gravitational forces propagated throughout and condensation into galaxies and so on started, why would the dark matter arrange itself primarily into a large halo surrounding the galaxies, instead of just mixing in with the rest?

Shouldn't dark matter also condense into, well... dark matter stars, dark matter planets and dark matter black holes?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#43  Postby Rumraket » May 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Pulsar wrote:The difference between dark matter and ordinary matter is precisely due to the fact that dark matter only interacts gravitationally, whereas baryonic matter is subject to the electromagnetic force as well. Quantum fluctuations in the early universe led to regions with slightly higher / lower densities than average. The overdense regions then collapsed to into haloes, but they cannot collapse indefinitely, because as the regions contract, the kinetic energy of the particles increases.

If gravity is the only relevant force (which is the case in dark matter haloes), then the particles essentially don't interact with each other: the individual masses of the particles is so small and gravity is so weak, that gravitational forces between neighbouring particles is negligible. Instead, the orbits of the particles is only determined by the overall gravitational potential of the entire system. Such systems are called collisionless, and eventually they
will reach an equilibrium state where the average kinetic and potential energy are balanced in a specific relation, known as the virial theorem. Conservation of energy and angular momentum of each particle prevents them from getting closer together, in the same way as the planets don't spiral into the sun.

Baryonic particles however do interact with each other, due to the electromagnetic force (and nuclear forces). The higher the density and kinetic energy, the more they interact ('collide'). In these interactions, the particles do exchange energy and angular momentum, and importantly, energy is dissipated in the form of radiation. In other words, systems of baryonic matter can cool down. The energy loss allows the baryonic particles to clump together and form smaller structures.

Bottom line: baryonic matter interacts and can lose energy, dark matter cannot.

Ah nevermind, this answered my question.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#44  Postby John Platko » May 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Before I launch into my question, I'll run through my understanding of the reasons for postulating the existence of dark matter, which centres upon galaxy rotation.

When the standard model of gravity is used to simulate galaxy behaviour, the results do not match our observations of actual galaxy behaviour. Out of curiosity, scientists tried re-running the simulations with extra mass added, and when this was done, the results dovetailed exquisitely with observation. On this basis, scientists postulated that the missing mass from their models was a real entity. This led to the question of why this missing mass hadn't been observed before, which led to the postulate that the missing mass constituted a new form of matter, a form that doesn't engage in direct interaction with the electromagnetic force (i.e., photons). This absence of interaction with the electromagnetic force, led to the missing mass being termed "dark matter", in contrast to ordinary matter, which interacts with photons on a grand scale.

So far, so good. Dark matter halos around galaxies makes the models work. Furthermore, on the basis that said matter interacts via the gravitational force, it's possible to predict what sort of space curvature effects such matter will have, and how this will alter the paths of photons reaching us from distant parts of the universe, and then look for observed instances of those effects, Again, so far, so good. When those effects are observed, we have confidence that the dark matter hypothesis is something more than the product of the televisions inside our heads.

However, one feature of gravity, is that it attracts masses to each other. Consequently, if dark matter actually exists, it should be subject to the same attraction. As a corollary, I an temporarily at a loss to understand how dark matter and light matter becomes segregated, in the manner needed for the models to work. If the only force acting upon dark matter particles is attracting those particles to each other, and to light matter as well, then surely the two should become intermingled?

I'll hand this over to the physics experts.

39:30 into this lecture you'll find an answer to your question.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOtl8DTmhQ
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby surreptitious57 » May 25, 2014 10:46 pm

hackenslash wrote:
General Relativity

Can you be more specific about this ? General Relativity actually incorporates gravity so how can it invalidate it as a force ? The standard definition of it being : the attractive force between two objects which is proportional to the product of their masses multiplied together and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Granted that gravity
may be significantly weaker than the other three fundamentals but that does not negate it as a force however
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#46  Postby hackenslash » May 25, 2014 11:09 pm

General Relativity tells us that gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime, not a force.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby surreptitious57 » May 25, 2014 11:26 pm

That explains what causes gravity but does not invalidate it as being defined a force in its own right. So saying that it is a force that acts between two bodies is still true. And at some point General Relativity may have to be modified or rejected to accommodate a theory of quantum gravity which in turn will reference a Theory Of Everything. G R in other words is only an approximation at this point in time as indeed are all theories
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#48  Postby kennyc » May 26, 2014 11:35 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
(I exclude gravity because it's far from clear that it can properly be described as a force)

The Standard Model references gravity as one of the four fundamental forces so what is your reason for disregarding it ?

Curved space! :tongue: :naughty2:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby kennyc » May 26, 2014 11:41 am

surreptitious57 wrote:That explains what causes gravity but does not invalidate it as being defined a force in its own right. So saying that it is a force that acts between two bodies is still true. And at some point General Relativity may have to be modified or rejected to accommodate a theory of quantum gravity which in turn will reference a Theory Of Everything. G R in other words is only an approximation at this point in time as indeed are all theories

But the point is, there is currently a discrepancy in the theories. General Relativity and the Standard Model/QM are at odds with each other. Until we either unify them or develop a new TOE then we continue to have a quandary.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby klazmon » May 27, 2014 12:43 am

Calilasseia wrote:Before I launch into my question, I'll run through my understanding of the reasons for postulating the existence of dark matter, which centres upon galaxy rotation.

When the standard model of gravity is used to simulate galaxy behaviour, the results do not match our observations of actual galaxy behaviour. Out of curiosity, scientists tried re-running the simulations with extra mass added, and when this was done, the results dovetailed exquisitely with observation. On this basis, scientists postulated that the missing mass from their models was a real entity. This led to the question of why this missing mass hadn't been observed before, which led to the postulate that the missing mass constituted a new form of matter, a form that doesn't engage in direct interaction with the electromagnetic force (i.e., photons). This absence of interaction with the electromagnetic force, led to the missing mass being termed "dark matter", in contrast to ordinary matter, which interacts with photons on a grand scale.

So far, so good. Dark matter halos around galaxies makes the models work. Furthermore, on the basis that said matter interacts via the gravitational force, it's possible to predict what sort of space curvature effects such matter will have, and how this will alter the paths of photons reaching us from distant parts of the universe, and then look for observed instances of those effects, Again, so far, so good. When those effects are observed, we have confidence that the dark matter hypothesis is something more than the product of the televisions inside our heads.

However, one feature of gravity, is that it attracts masses to each other. Consequently, if dark matter actually exists, it should be subject to the same attraction. As a corollary, I an temporarily at a loss to understand how dark matter and light matter becomes segregated, in the manner needed for the models to work. If the only force acting upon dark matter particles is attracting those particles to each other, and to light matter as well, then surely the two should become intermingled?

I'll hand this over to the physics experts.

The segregation can occur because non dark matter is subject to forces in addition to gravity. For example in a collision between two galaxies the ordinary matter gas and dust can actually "collide" whereas the dark matter doesn't.

Edit. Now that I have read through thread I see Pulsar already gave a good explanation - :)
Last edited by klazmon on May 27, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#51  Postby klazmon » May 27, 2014 12:47 am

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:I think I get what Cali is trying to ask here. I keep wondering the same thing myself. If both dark and 'normal' matter produce gravity and feel it's effect, and if dark matter is surrounding all galaxies, then why doesn't normal matter pull it in? Why doesn't (for example) our planet attract it's own halo of dark-matter (and if it does, why isn't the earth's gravity stronger than we can account for)?

Even if dark matter does not experience any other force that familiar matter does, and therefore does not interact with it in any other way, I'm still unsure what's preventing any passing dark matter from falling into, and accumulating in, our planet's gravity-well (or that of any other 'normal matter' object). :scratch:

It doesn't "fall in" for the same reason the planets don't fall in to the Sun.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#52  Postby theropod » May 27, 2014 12:56 am

Stars do "fall in" to galactic black holes, so orbital mechanics doesn't cover the lack of effect on dark matter.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby klazmon » May 27, 2014 1:06 am

theropod wrote:Stars do "fall in" to galactic black holes, so orbital mechanics doesn't cover the lack of effect on dark matter.

RS

The gravity of black holes is no different to that of anything else until you get close in on the event horizon. Stars can collide with black holes just as stars and planets can collide with each other - all covered by orbital mechanics. It's an N body situation. If the star is orbiting close enough to to the black hole then tidal effects can kick in but that is also classical orbital mechanics. GR doesn't kick in appreciably until closing in on the event horizon of the black hole where frame dragging and gravitational wave energy loss become significant.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#54  Postby theropod » May 27, 2014 1:41 am

Not my point. If normal gravitational effect played with dark matter the same way as normal matter it would, eventually, fall into the gravity well of a black hole. Since we do see stars fall into these supermassive black holes it seems, to me, that dark matter isn't effected by gravity in the same manner.

What am I missing?

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby klazmon » May 27, 2014 3:25 am

theropod wrote:Not my point. If normal gravitational effect played with dark matter the same way as normal matter it would, eventually, fall into the gravity well of a black hole. Since we do see stars fall into these supermassive black holes it seems, to me, that dark matter isn't effected by gravity in the same manner.

What am I missing?

RS

Well it is expected that dark matter does fall into black holes but it is no more likely to occur than for normal matter. Well actually it is somewhat less likely to fall in as it can't get rid of orbital energy as easily as normal matter can via accretion disk friction and interaction with magnetic fields. Dark matter particles would need to make a direct hit with the black hole's event horizon, which certainly must happen but no more so than would occur with normal matter (at least percentage wise). The total mass of black holes in the galaxy appears to be quite small compared to the mass of the galaxy. In 13 billion years black holes haven't captured much of a percentage of normal matter, let alone dark matter.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics