A universe from nothing

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: A universe from nothing

#21  Postby hackenslash » Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Cali, that idea is not consistent with the accepted view that our space-time was actually created in our big bang,


I don't know where you got the notion that this is the accepted view, because it isn't. It may have been the prevailing view at one time, but no cosmologist I'm aware of remotely takes seriously the idea that there was no time prior to Planck -10-43.

I think your cosmology needs updating, because it's about 40 years out of date.

I should add that I've covered this at some length:

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2016/05/th ... ainty.html
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21438
Age: 50
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A universe from nothing

#22  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm

hackenslash wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Cali, that idea is not consistent with the accepted view that our space-time was actually created in our big bang,


I don't know where you got the notion that this is the accepted view, because it isn't. It may have been the prevailing view at one time, but no cosmologist I'm aware of remotely takes seriously the idea that there was no time prior to Planck -10-43.

I think your cosmology needs updating, because it's about 40 years out of date.

I should add that I've covered this at some length:

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2016/05/th ... ainty.html

No, you haven't! My cosmology is the one that isn't out of date. Your "uncertainty of uncertainty" principle hardly covers the generation of space! You badly need to read my piece on pages 6 and 7 of the LQG thread.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#23  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm

hackenslash wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Cali, that idea is not consistent with the accepted view that our space-time was actually created in our big bang,


I don't know where you got the notion that this is the accepted view, because it isn't. It may have been the prevailing view at one time, but no cosmologist I'm aware of remotely takes seriously the idea that there was no time prior to Planck -10-43.

I think your cosmology needs updating, because it's about 40 years out of date.

I should add that I've covered this at some length:

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2016/05/th ... ainty.html

No, you haven't! My cosmology is the one that isn't out of date. Your "uncertainty of uncertainty" principle hardly covers the generation of space! You badly need to read my piece on pages 6 and 7 of the LQG thread.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#24  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm

hackenslash wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Cali, that idea is not consistent with the accepted view that our space-time was actually created in our big bang,


I don't know where you got the notion that this is the accepted view, because it isn't. It may have been the prevailing view at one time, but no cosmologist I'm aware of remotely takes seriously the idea that there was no time prior to Planck -10-43.

I think your cosmology needs updating, because it's about 40 years out of date.

I should add that I've covered this at some length:

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2016/05/th ... ainty.html

No, you haven't! My cosmology is the one that isn't out of date. Your "uncertainty of uncertainty" principle hardly covers the generation of space! You badly need to read my piece on pages 6 and 7 of the LQG thread.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#25  Postby TopCat » Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm

What I tell you three times is true.
TopCat
 
Posts: 740
Age: 57
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#26  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 17, 2018 7:26 pm

... I suspect that your accusation that I am "out of date" is a reference to Brane theory. Yet that is almost as absurd as goddidit. Where would colliding branes come from, and why would they be able to behave like some kind of dodgem car, spawning universes just by hitting each other??
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#27  Postby theropod » Jun 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Ah personal incredulity. How science gets done.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
User avatar
theropod
RS Donator
 
Name: Roger
Posts: 7529
Age: 66
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A universe from nothing

#28  Postby Macdoc » Jun 17, 2018 8:01 pm

David C ...you are out of date ...
here is a decent summary

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ing-theory

We didn't have proof of gravity waves either...
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 16335
Age: 72
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#29  Postby romansh » Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm

SImon Blackburn - philosopher asked the question why is "nothing" the assumed default position?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
User avatar
romansh
 
Posts: 2728

Country: BC Can (in the woods)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#30  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 17, 2018 8:11 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... I suspect that your accusation that I am "out of date" is a reference to Brane theory. Yet that is almost as absurd as goddidit.


Why is this ideal "almost as absurd as goddidit"? If branes are physical entities embedded in an appropriate space-time, then motion thereof within that spacetime, and collisions between said entities, is no more problematic than that of snooker balls.

DavidMcC wrote:Where would colliding branes come from


My understanding is that the postulate currently regarded as applicable, is that they have existed right back into the infinite eternal past.

DavidMcC wrote:and why would they be able to behave like some kind of dodgem car, spawning universes just by hitting each other??


See the two papers by Steinhardt & Turok I've presented in the past, which contain the details.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22020
Age: 58
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#31  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... I suspect that your accusation that I am "out of date" is a reference to Brane theory. Yet that is almost as absurd as goddidit.


Why is this ideal "almost as absurd as goddidit"? If branes are physical entities embedded in an appropriate space-time, then motion thereof within that spacetime, and collisions between said entities, is no more problematic than that of snooker balls.
That's answering the wrong question. A system of colliding branes is way too complicated to have always existed. At least my hyperspace continuum is simple.
DavidMcC wrote:Where would colliding branes come from


My understanding is that the postulate currently regarded as applicable, is that they have existed right back into the infinite eternal past.

See above.
DavidMcC wrote:and why would they be able to behave like some kind of dodgem car, spawning universes just by hitting each other??

I should be asking you that question. You're the one claiming that they career around, colliding like dodgem cars, not me.
See the two papers by Steinhardt & Turok I've presented in the past, which contain the details.

I am already familiar with their work, from years ago, and I was not impressed, which is what this conversation is bout.
They are a good exampke of how mathematicians sometimes make poor physicists.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#32  Postby hackenslash » Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm

DavidMcC wrote:No, you haven't! My cosmology is the one that isn't out of date. Your "uncertainty of uncertainty" principle hardly covers the generation of space! You badly need to read my piece on pages 6 and 7 of the LQG thread.


I read your dross derail of an otherwise interesting thread, thanks. Your understanding of cosmology IS out of date, because you say that the accepted view is that time and space emerged from the big bang, when this is NOT the accepted view, and hasn't been since the '80s.

Your suspicion is incorrect, as it happens. The most broadly accepted view is inflationary theory, and that also doesn't have space and time beginning at the big bang.

Seriously, pay attention to what's actually being said. It's pretty telling that you couldn't even get the title of the post I linked to correct, despite it being right there in the post you were composing to deliver your usual flatulence.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21438
Age: 50
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#33  Postby hackenslash » Jun 19, 2018 1:39 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... I suspect that your accusation that I am "out of date" is a reference to Brane theory. Yet that is almost as absurd as goddidit. Where would colliding branes come from, and why would they be able to behave like some kind of dodgem car, spawning universes just by hitting each other??


Where? You want to talk about the absurdity of 'goddidit' while asking an asinine question like that, a stock canard of the religious apologist?

If you can't even formulate a question coherently, why should we be interested in what you have to say about esoterica?
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21438
Age: 50
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#34  Postby Alan B » Jun 19, 2018 5:14 pm

My Brane hurts! :?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9730
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#35  Postby felltoearth » Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Alan B wrote:My Brane hurts! :?

At least Hack and Cali are providing brane food.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 12395
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A universe from nothing

#36  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 25, 2018 5:49 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Alan B wrote:My Brane hurts! :?

At least Hack and Cali are providing brane food.

Ha, ha! They provide twaddle. You obviously forgot to read my articles in the LQG thread (pages 6 and 7)!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#37  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

:picard:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30274
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#38  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote::picard:

:picard:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#39  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Thomas, I find your content-free posting as tedious as ever. Try to say something about the subject at hand, which is to say a "universe from nothing", not you or me.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A universe from nothing

#40  Postby felltoearth » Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Alan B wrote:My Brane hurts! :?

At least Hack and Cali are providing brane food.

Ha, ha! They provide twaddle. You obviously forgot to read my articles in the LQG thread (pages 6 and 7)!

Forgot? Why presume?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 12395
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest