A universe from nothing

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: A universe from nothing

#61  Postby Fenrir » Sep 23, 2018 9:44 am

truelgbt wrote:There are literally reams of scientists who are big bang adherents and claim that the bazilion tons of dirt, rock, gas, etc which make up all the planets and stars in the universe - all came into being at one moment in time.

That's a Triticale golem of impressive size you've erected there.

Makes a spectacular bonfire I'm sure.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Thommo » Sep 23, 2018 9:44 am

newolder wrote:truelgbt, Your post leads me to question things further...

What does a literal ream of scientists look like?

I'm not sure, but apparently they have 4 eyebrows.
Thommo

Print view this post

#63  Postby newolder » Sep 23, 2018 9:52 am

Thommo wrote:

I'm not sure, but apparently they have 4 eyebrows.

If people go around gluing sets of eyebrows to things that go bang! bigly, then what do they expect from life? :snooty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby Macdoc » Sep 23, 2018 9:55 am

how do we get any payback for our tax dollars?

Oh perhaps nuclear reactors for a start ....lasers, MRi, better TV screens the list of the impact on modern civilization is extensive and growing.

Quantum solar cells could explain why plants are green | New Scientist
https://www.newscientist.com/.../211522 ... -why-pla...
Dec 6, 2016 - The next wave of solar cells might be green… literally. Quantum mechanics is helping to make better solar cells – and may give us another ...

What could be weirder than quantum mechanics? This physics framework is responsible for any number of bizarre phenomena—theoretical cats that are simultaneously dead and alive, particles kilometers apart that can nonetheless communicate instantaneously, and indecisive photons that somehow go two directions at once.

But it is also responsible for the technological advances that make modern life possible. Without quantum mechanics there would be no transistor, and hence no personal computer; no laser, and hence no Blu-ray players. James Kakalios, a physics professor at the University of Minnesota, wants people to understand how much quantum mechanics influences our everyday lives—but to do so people must first understand quantum mechanics.

educate yourself

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... m-physics/

The same sensors and technology that can reach back in time to near the big bang can reach into your body and see things like this

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#65  Postby felltoearth » Sep 23, 2018 12:14 pm

truelgbt wrote:There are literally reams of scientists who are big bang adherents and claim that the bazilion tons of dirt, rock, gas, etc which make up all the planets and stars in the universe - all came into being at one moment in time.

This raises more than a few eyebrows:
1) how do they know what they are talking about?
2) what happened to 'matter cannot be created nor destroyed' ?
3) telescopes can only tell us so much; we still can't go back in time to definitively determine with any certainty that the universe came into being this way or that.
4) Whether I believe this or that regarding the origin of life or the origin of the universe, does this really impact my daily life (work, eat, sleep, paying the bills)?

I sometimes wonder who pays these guys to drum up these theories? how do we get any payback for our tax dollars?

How about we remove all the things brought about by this research starting with your computer so we don't have to read such ignorant shit.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2018 12:07 am

truelgbt wrote:
There are literally reams of scientists who are big bang adherents and claim that the bazilion tons of dirt, rock, gas, etc which make up all the planets and stars in the universe - all came into being at one moment in time.

This raises more than a few eyebrows:
1) how do they know what they are talking about?

They've been educated unlike you and stand on the shoulders of giants who unravelled and continue to unravel the universe we live in.

2) what happened to 'matter cannot be created nor destroyed' ?

Bit behind the time boyo ....E=MC2

3) telescopes can only tell us so much; we still can't go back in time to definitively determine with any certainty that the universe came into being this way or that.

Showing your lack of education ....telescopes indeed do peer back in time - The James Webb will do even better
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov

and the CMB is the visible remains of the big bang and audible.

Two Cosmic Microwave Background anomalies hinted at by the Planck observatory's predecessor, NASA's WMAP, are confirmed in new high-precision data revealed on March 21, 2013. In this image, the two anomalous regions have been enhanced with red and blue shading to make them more clearly visible.
Credit: ESA and the Planck Collaboration

Even the science fair kids understand
https://www.washington.edu/news/2013/04 ... ity-audio/

Grab an old radio or TV - tune between stations ..listen and SEE the big bang remains. That hash of static ??..that's it and that discovery is delightful.
https://www.space.com/25945-cosmic-micr ... rsary.html

4) Whether I believe this or that regarding the origin of life or the origin of the universe, does this really impact my daily life (work, eat, sleep, paying the bills)?

Big time - what the detectors do may one day save your life ...seeing the cancer in your cells is only a variation
...at least do the scientists the courtesy of attempting to understand a little bit about the real world instead of displaying your current woefulpaucity of knowledge.

You haven't even climbed the big toe of the giants...stop embarrassing yourself. :nono:

:coffee:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby laklak » Sep 24, 2018 12:30 am

Fenrir wrote:

Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Fenrir » Sep 24, 2018 12:48 am

laklak wrote:
Fenrir wrote:

Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale?

Secalifragilecephalis!

If you get that you're either a gluten for punishment or have the wheat of giants.
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby truelgbt » Sep 24, 2018 3:06 am

A1) Who are "they" ?

Gimme some time to drum up a list and mebbe a thread of its own in the near future.

... how do we get any payback for our tax dollars?

Do you think education is a luxury we don't have time for?

Point is:
1) Let's say you're a doctor. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you treat your patients? No. Not one bit.
2) Let's say you're an engineer. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you design cars? No. Not one bit.
3) Let's say you're a chemist. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you make medications or other chemical products? No. Not one bit.

The topic of origins is most important for developing one's personal philosophy of life, but as far as pushing various scientific technologies in various fields, then no. This is why what we believe regarding origins is not some prerequisite for working in any of these scientific fields.
truelgbt

Name: trev

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2018 3:13 am

You are sadly mistake on all counts but you don't know enough to understand that.

Appears to me you are just trying to excuse your own ignorance :coffee:

1) Let's say you're a doctor. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you treat your patients? No. Not one bit.
2) Let's say you're an engineer. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you design cars? No. Not one bit.
3) Let's say you're a chemist. Is your 'view' on origins going to affect how you make medications or other chemical products? No. Not one bit.

Generally these professions require at least sitting on the shoulders of giants to understand their craft. You are peering at them from the toenail level.
Last edited by Macdoc on Sep 24, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#71  Postby truelgbt » Sep 24, 2018 3:17 am

felltoearth wrote:How about we remove all the things brought about by this research starting with your computer so we don't have to read such ignorant shit.

That's it? That was so analytical. So enlighten all of us.

Name one experiment, one study, one anything where it was conclusively or even remotely demonstrated and confirmed that a bazillion megatons of material came out of thin air. Put the link in your response for all to see.
truelgbt

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#72  Postby truelgbt » Sep 24, 2018 3:18 am

Macdoc wrote:You are sadly mistake on all counts but you don't know enough to understand that.

Appears to me you are just trying to excuse your own ignorance :coffee:

So how exactly does an engineer's view of origins affect how he designs a car?

No insults, just specifics.

Thank you.
truelgbt

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2018 3:29 am

Generally these professions require at least sitting on the shoulders of giants to understand their craft. You are peering at them from the toenail level.
'

insults deserved will be served at will .......

an engineer designing a vehicle needs to understand this - and the field is moving quickly so he or she must be conversant with the progress...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ma ... -mechanics

Breakdown of Continuum Fracture Mechanics at the Nanoscale - Nature
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep08596
by T Shimada - ‎2015 - ‎Cited by 25 - ‎Related articles
Feb 26, 2015 - (a), Critical energy release rate at fracture based on linear elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM) and quantized fracture mechanics (QFM) as a function of specimen size W. The LEFM and QFM are both based on the conventional continuum mechanics. The horizontal dotted lines indicate the fracture toughness .

Fatigue, material change over time and stress is integral to designing a safe vehicle....not just drawing pretty pictures with crayons on your workbook :roll:

Here is an interesting read

Re: Use of Computer Simulation
Post by SZ » 23 Nov 2009, 16:43

My, didn't this thread explode.

So many of you must be familiar with Horace Lamb's quote - "I am an old man now, and when I die and go to heaven there are two matters on which I hope for enlightenment. One is quantum electrodynamics, and the other is the turbulent motion of fluids. And about the former I am rather optimistic."

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 5&start=30
Last edited by Macdoc on Sep 24, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#74  Postby felltoearth » Sep 24, 2018 3:30 am

truelgbt wrote:
felltoearth wrote:How about we remove all the things brought about by this research starting with your computer so we don't have to read such ignorant shit.

Name one experiment, one study, one anything where it was conclusively or even remotely demonstrated and confirmed that a bazillion megatons of material came out of thin air. Put the link in your response for all to see.

The science says no such thing.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Fenrir » Sep 24, 2018 3:35 am

truelgbt wrote:

Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby laklak » Sep 24, 2018 3:39 am

truelgbt wrote:
So how exactly does an engineer's view of origins affect how he designs a car?

No insults, just specifics.

Thank you.

It doesn't, in my experience. I've known engineers and programmers who believe all sorts of shit. Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Reptilian Overlords, Moon Landing Hoaxers, 911ers, survivalists, Illuminati, you name it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2018 3:42 am

This isn't the first time light has been converted into matter: in 1997, Stanford's linear collider used a different process that involved large numbers of photons interacting with the help of a high-powered electron beam and an electric field that provided the energy needed to collide the photons to produce matter ...May 28, 2014

and

05,806 viewsMay 19, 2014, 12:55pm
'Einstein Was Right: You Can Turn Energy Into Matter'

Paul Rodgers
Contributor
i

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulrodger ... 71ef126ac8

But really ....."thin air" ?? ...... :roll:

You do understand you are composed of the remains of supernovae... :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2018 3:46 am

It doesn't, in my experience. I've known engineers and programmers who believe all sorts of shit. Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Reptilian Overlords, Moon Landing Hoaxers, 911ers, survivalists, Illuminati, you name it.

most won't be designing a modern car....
now a programmer ...despite any beliefs is still constrained by some fundamentals or his "creation" don't work......see Vista by Microsoft....or OS 7.2 by Apple.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#79  Postby truelgbt » Sep 24, 2018 3:46 am

Fenrir wrote:
truelgbt wrote:

I asked specifically for a study which DEMONSTRATED that megatons of material appeared out of thin air.

Not theories, not formulas, not background radiation, etc.

Where is a convincing study which DEMONSTRATES that megatons, or even a paltry 100 pounds, of material appeared out of thin air? Give us a link so we can all examine it and be totally convinced...hehe.
truelgbt

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Fenrir » Sep 24, 2018 3:51 am

truelgbt wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
truelgbt wrote:

I asked specifically for a study which DEMONSTRATED megatons of material appearing out of thin air.

Not theories, not formulas, not background radiation, etc.

Where is a convincing study which DEMONSTRATED megatons, or even a paltry 100 pounds, of material appearing out of thin air? Give us a link so we can all examine it and be totally convinced...hehe.

Hear that?

That's the sound of ignorance cherished.
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics