Cymatics

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Cymatics

#1  Postby Stephen » Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I made a post at RDF when I first signed up about Cymatics but didn't get a single reply or direction to a previous discussion of it. Now that I think of it, maybe this should be in the physics subforum, so move it if ya wanna.

I picked up this book
at a friend's house one day several months ago and, I guess I was drunk or something, but I said "Oh, pretty pictures" or whatever and put it down. Later I sat down and read some of it and understood what was going on and got wildly excited about it, it's literally one of the coolest things I've ever heard of or seen in my life and so I'm hoping to share that enthusiasm with some people here, or maybe hear some thoughts from those already acquainted with it.

Wiki sez

Cymatics (from Greek: κῦμα "wave"), also known as modal phenomena, is the study of visible sound and vibration, typically on the surface of a plate, diaphragm, or membrane. Directly visualizing vibrations involves using sound to excite media often in the form of particles, pastes, and liquids.

The apparatus employed can be simple, such as a Chladni Plate or advanced such as the CymaScope, a laboratory instrument that makes visible the inherent geometries within sound and music.

The generic term for this field of science is the study of modal phenomena, retitled Cymatics by Hans Jenny, a Swiss medical doctor and a pioneer in this field. The word Cymatics derives from the Greek 'kuma' meaning 'billow' or 'wave,' to describe the periodic effects that sound and vibration has on matter.

Hans Jenny-

Some images:

A couple of youtube vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiSCBXbHAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYvYysQvBU

Also, the guys at www.cymatics.org make some absolutely amazing images, actually those last two pictures up there belong to them I think. The performance art, and still image art possibilities with this stuff are off the charts! It's really very exciting to me, and also thrilling to think about what we could learn about the fundamental behavior of matter from Cymatics. Come to think of it, I wonder (in my ignorance of physics) if anyone has made any sort of connection between Cymatics and string theory.....
Stephen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cymatics

#2  Postby Vorticity » Feb 25, 2010 8:36 pm

"Cymatics". Interesting, I didn't know it had a name.

Stephen wrote:

When I was an undergraduate, the physics department had a setup exactly like that one, and I spent a lot of time playing with it.

I think those shapes (at least the ones on the square) can be predicted, by which I mean calculated from first principles.
Free lunch. Final wisdom. Total coverage.
http://stopsylvia.com
Vorticity

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby my_wan » Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Reminds me of certain islanders that can spot islands over the horizon by the ripples in the waves around the boat.
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Aught3 » Feb 25, 2010 11:50 pm

The non-Newtonian ones are the best.
League of Reason: Freethinkers, unite!
Aught3

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Stephen » Feb 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Aught3 wrote:The non-Newtonian ones are the best.

Explain thyself! (for my benefit, please)
Stephen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby RJabez » Feb 26, 2010 6:29 am

Stephen wrote:
Aught3 wrote:The non-Newtonian ones are the best.

Explain thyself! (for my benefit, please)

im surprised that the fluid managed to get so high with just the vibration energy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYvYysQvBU
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan
RJabez

Print view this post

#7  Postby Aught3 » Feb 26, 2010 6:34 am

Stephen wrote:Explain thyself! (for my benefit, please)
I just like the random structures they form, they often appear to be dancing forms or strange animals vibrating to the music. I know, simple things for simple minds :oops:
League of Reason: Freethinkers, unite!
Aught3

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Apollonius » Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Very cool. Let's see someone reverse the process and start with shapes and get some cool music.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Sityl » Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYvYysQvBU[/youtube]
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Stephen » Feb 27, 2010 3:56 am

Stephen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby ElDiablo » Feb 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Very cool indeed.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 04, 2010 12:28 am

You're right, that is very very interesting.

But hmm, this reminds me of a youtube video on Masaru Emoto who did that study on the effects of words/sounds/emotions on liquid water. It was a bit weird though, and I remember thinking 'this is nonsense' as nice as the concept was.

To vaguely sum it up, he/they took samples of water from different sources and then froze a drop to see what the design of the crystal was. They took a sample from a polluted river and the crystal came out pretty ugly looking with not much pattern. Then they expanded this, and experimented on how water is affected by voice. They took a vial of water and presented it with pleasant sounds, froze a drop and apparently the crystal came out very 'pretty' looking and patterned.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/water4.php

I don't know if this study was a bit mickey-mouse but, the cymatics concept reminded me of it... but it's probably a lot more valid.
ImageImageImage
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Physics