Harvard-Smithsonian B-Mode observation confirmed

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Harvard-Smithsonian B-Mode observation confirmed

#61  Postby Rumraket » Mar 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Sean Carroll on facebook:

Sean Carroll wrote:I'm less sure than Guth & Linde on the inflation -> multiverse connection. But inflation certainly strengthens the case for a multiverse.

Uh-oh, what's that mean for apologists? :whistle:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Harvard-Smithsonian announcement pending...

#62  Postby Rumraket » Mar 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Blackadder wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I bet they've discovered moral facts. That's my bet. This is probably going to be an announcement about moral realism. I've been telling you all. Haven't I been telling you all? Get ready to be relegated to history, nihilists!

No, No...they've received a message from GOD!

Whatever it is, all of the materialist physicist types had better calm the fuck down until the philosophers explain why it is completely insignificant in the search for reality, which only they are equipped to lead.

Meanwhile the Koranic Physics Institute is working on explaining how it was predicted 1400 years ago in a verse that was until now assumed to refer to camel husbandry.

:rofl:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#63  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Right I see that it has now actually been confirmed so can you give us a few bullet points
on the significance of this please hack ? Does it prove multiverse theory for example ? And
can it see beyond the Big Bang or is it just up to the Planck time ? Can it help to solve any
other mysteries such as dark energy / dark matter and quantum gravity ? That sort of thing
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#64  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Does it prove multiverse theory for example ?

No, although being a prediction of inflationary theory, it provides circumstantial support for eternal inflation. it's a tick in the box, as it were.

And can it see beyond the Big Bang or is it just up to the Planck time ?

Just up to Planck. Essentially, it's confirmation that the cosmos underwent a rapid exponential inflation between 10-35 and 10-25 seconds, which represents inflation from something close to singularity in size (if not singularity itself) to something about the size of a marble, after which expansion proceeded as normal until the recent acceleration.

Can it help to solve any other mysteries such as dark energy / dark matter and quantum gravity ? That sort of thing

Well, as Pulsar indicated, it's also a tick in the box for the inflaton field, which is a candidate for Dark Energy. It's not a confirmation of it, but it's a tick in the box. The inflaton field is essentially a candidate not only for Dark Energy but for the initial inflationary period. It will take a good deal more than this to support the inflaton field completely.

I know you have Fabric of the Cosmos on your reading list. Most of this is very well covered in that.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby Shrunk » Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

While I'm still quite certain I don't understand the significance of this finding, the reactions in this video gives a pretty good measure of its magnitude:

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon - a big day! My socks are still on, but that's probably because I don't understand the science well :?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#67  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm

hackenslash wrote:
I know you have Fabric of the Cosmos on your reading list. Most of this is very well covered in that

I just got Quantum : A Guide For The Perplexed by Jim Al Khalili and though it was right next to A Brief History Of
Time
I still chose it. I have not read it yet but it looks quite use friendly with plenty of diagrams and short articles
by other physicists explaining certain phenomena. And some I have never heard of too like quantum tunnelling and
qubits so new stuff to learn and old stuff to revise. Have just finished The Selfish Gene too. And very well written as
usual and so easy to understand. I particularly liked the reference to genes as replicators automatically cloning them
selves to produce a more complex form. It sounds very clinical yet seems perfect for describing biological organisms
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby minininja » Mar 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Does this mean Neil deGrasse Tyson now has to rapidly re-film parts of his Cosmos series?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 17, 2014 10:18 pm

From the paper (shortly to be submitted to a physics journal) ...

ABSTRACT

We report results from the BICEP2 experiment, a Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) polarimeter specifically designed to search for the signal of inflationary gravitational waves in the B-mode power spectrum around l~80. The telescope comprised a 26 cm aperture all-cold refracting optical system equipped with a focal plane of 512 antenna coupled transition edge sensor (TES) 150 GHz bolometers each with temperature sensitivity of ≈ 300 KCMB√s. BICEP2 observed from the South Pole for three seasons from 2010 to 2012. A low-foreground region of sky with an effective area of 380 square degrees was observed to a depth of 87 nK-degrees in Stokes Q and U. In this paper we describe the observations, data reduction, maps, simulations and results. We find an excess of B-mode power over the base lensed-ΛCDM expectation in the range 30 < l < 150, inconsistent with the null hypothesis at a significance of > 5σ. Through jackknife tests and simulations based on detailed calibration measurements we show that systematic contamination is much smaller than the observed excess. We also estimate potential foreground signals and find that available models predict these to be considerably smaller than the observed signal. These foreground models possess no significant cross-correlation with our maps. Additionally, cross-correlating BICEP2 against 100 GHz maps from the BICEP1 experiment, the excess signal is confirmed with 3σ significance and its spectral index is found to be consistent with that of the CMB, disfavoring synchrotron or dust at 2.3σ and 2.2σ, respectively. The observed B-mode power spectrum is well-fit by a lensed-ΛCDM + tensor theoretical model with tensor/scalar ratio r = 0.200.07-0.05, with r = 0 disfavored at 7.0σ. Subtracting the best available estimate for foreground dust modifies the likelihood slightly so that r = 0 is disfavored at 5.9σ.
Last edited by Calilasseia on Mar 17, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2014 10:34 pm

minininja wrote:Does this mean Neil deGrasse Tyson now has to rapidly re-film parts of his Cosmos series?

Doubtful. In reality, this kind of inflationary theory has been among the front-runners for a long time and is a feature of several cosmologies. Indeed, even in the Turok/Steinhardt 'brane-worlds' cosmology, the cosmos after collision of the 3-branes proceeds like inflation.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby THWOTH » Mar 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Rumraket wrote:Sean Carroll on facebook:

Sean Carroll wrote:I'm less sure than Guth & Linde on the inflation -> multiverse connection. But inflation certainly strengthens the case for a multiverse.

Deism baby. Deism.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2014 11:03 pm

It probably kills deism if you take the complete 'Eternal Inflation' theory into account, because we're essentially a black hole in another cosmos.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

Re: Harvard-Smithsonian announcement pending...

#73  Postby Blood » Mar 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Blackadder wrote:
Meanwhile the Koranic Physics Institute is working on explaining how it was predicted 1400 years ago in a verse that was until now assumed to refer to camel husbandry.

Progressive revelation. We were too stupid until now to know what Allah really meant in the Koran, but in his infinite wisdom he has now lifted the scales from our eyes.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Blood » Mar 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Rumraket wrote:Sean Carroll on facebook:

How does inflation strengthen the case for the Multiverse?
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby THWOTH » Mar 17, 2014 11:26 pm

hackenslash wrote:It probably kills deism if you take the complete 'Eternal Inflation' theory into account, because we're essentially a black hole in another cosmos.

Bubbles in God's bubble bath. :D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby hackenslash » Mar 18, 2014 12:18 am

:lol:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#77  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 18, 2014 12:45 am

How can the existence of branes be falsified if they are impervious to light ? And what exactly is a brane anyway ? I
understand it to be multiple dimensional space separate to but part of a larger brane world [ in the same way that a
card in a deck is separate to but part of the deck ] What would be required to cause a brane to come into existence ?
Do branes exist inside universes or universes inside branes ? [ I am assuming the latter ]

If the Multiverse hypothesis is falsified by inflation then does that mean the Big Bang can no longer even be hypothesised
as the exact point at which the Universe began ? [ Universe is synonymous with Multiverse here so I mean in all space not just local space ] Would the laws of physics be different in each one or would they be the same ? If inflation means the Multiverse is in a constant state of expansion does this not invalidate the Second Law Of Thermodynamics ? Would every Universe in the Multiverse be expanding beyond c and would that speed be identical in all of them or different in each one ?
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#78  Postby ElDiablo » Mar 18, 2014 1:25 am

:popcorn:
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Reeve » Mar 18, 2014 2:10 am

I wonder if this will make Roger Penrose's cosmological model more testable. I seem to remember that his cyclic one was crucially dependent on gravitational waves with the predictions it made.
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#80  Postby orpheus » Mar 18, 2014 2:43 am

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "Microwave popcorn? We got that beat." )
Let's try for peace in 2018, shall we?
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics