Higgs wins Nobel

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Higgs wins Nobel

#1  Postby kennyc » Oct 08, 2013 11:12 am

Higgs boson scientists win Nobel prize in physics

Two scientists have won the Nobel prize in physics for their work on the theory of the Higgs boson.

Peter Higgs, from the UK, and Francois Englert from Belgium, shared the prize.

In the 1960s they were among several physicists who proposed a mechanism to explain why the most basic building blocks of the Universe have mass.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24436781
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Higgs wins Nobel

#2  Postby Blackadder » Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

Excellent news, and not entirely unexpected.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

Was the odds on bet. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Pulsar » Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Excellent news. It's a shame that Robert Brout passed away two years ago. He deserved it as much as Englert and Higgs.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 08, 2013 4:13 pm

More on the Higgs, but this time on symmetry violation in the early universe:

http://www.nature.com/news/higgsogenesis-proposed-to-explain-dark-matter-1.13883
'Higgsogenesis' proposed to explain dark matter
Interactions of Higgs bosons and anti-Higgs in early Universe may also have caused asymmetry between matter and antimatter.
Two physicists suggest that the Higgs had a key role in the early Universe, producing the observed difference between the number of matter and antimatter particles and determining the density of the mysterious dark matter that makes up five-sixths of the matter in the Universe.
In a paper accepted for publication in Physical Review Letters1, Sean Tulin of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and Géraldine Servant of the Catalan Institute for Research and Advanced Study in Barcelona, Spain, say that there may have been an asymmetry in the early Universe between the Higgs boson and its antimatter counterpart, the anti-Higgs.
It is thought that the Higgs does not currently have an antiparticle, but the standard cosmological model allows for there to have been both Higgs bosons and anti-Higgs bosons in the very early Universe.

Of course, all this really does is pass the buck, because there is no explanation of why the Higgs had such an asymmetry with its own anti-particle in the first place. Maybe that has to do with our "dirty sister" universes.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulsar » Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby lpetrich » Nov 16, 2013 1:58 am

What to call it?
Brout-Englert-Higgs mechanism (Wikipedia)
The mechanism was proposed in 1962 by Philip Warren Anderson. The relativistic model was developed in 1964 by three independent groups: Robert Brout and François Englert; Peter Higgs; and Gerald Guralnik, C. R. Hagen, and Tom Kibble.

The Higgs mechanism is also simply called the Higgs mechanism or Englert–Brout–Higgs–Guralnik–Hagen–Kibble mechanism, Anderson–Higgs mechanism, Higgs–Kibble mechanism by Abdus Salam and ABEGHHK'tH mechanism [for Anderson, Brout, Englert, Guralnik, Hagen, Higgs, Kibble and 't Hooft] by Peter Higgs.

That's Gerard 't Hooft. Thus making the Higgs particle the BEH particle or the BEHHGK particle or the ABEGHHK'tH particle. The "Beck" particle?
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby newolder » Nov 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Update on H0 decay to fermions*: http://phys.org/news/2013-11-atlas-higg ... mions.html
Standard Model bearing up, so far...

* e.g. H0 -> 2 Tau
Superscript 0 labels H with both the spin and Coulomb charge quantum numbers. In recent blogs &c, a subscript, e.g. H125.5, labels its invariant mass in GeV.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby lpetrich » Nov 29, 2013 7:03 pm

ATLAS sees Higgs boson decay to fermions (previous post's link titled)
ATLAS Experiment - News - Higgs Into Fermions
ATLAS results on Higgs boson searches in fermion final states (26 November 2013)
I read the slides file, and the strength of the tau-tau signal is

1.4 +0.5 -0.4

times the Standard-Model prediction. Strictly speaking, it's mostly the (tau-tau)*(top-top) value, because of the strongest process that makes Higgs particles in the LHC. That is "gluon fusion", where gluons from the incoming protons make a virtual top-quark loop, which then makes the Higgs particle. That produces about 88% of the LHC's Higgs particles, with most of the rest being produced by various processes involving W and Z particles.

However, the ATLAS team did not find statistically-significant evidence of bottom-bottom or muon-muon production, and the Standard Model's predictions for these processes were too small to detect.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Dec 12, 2013 11:42 am

Peter Higgs' Nobel acceptance speech
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Return to Physics