Large Hadron Collider (LHC) News

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) News

#381  Postby Little Idiot » Feb 14, 2012 5:41 am

twistor59 wrote:Matt Strassler's article on the Higgs strategy

Since we’re now approaching the time when the preliminary results from December on the search for the Higgs particle at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be presented in final form, possibly with small but important adjustments, and since there will be additional results based on the fall’s data in the next few weeks, it would be good to do a little review of where things stand and where they’re going.

HiggsSearch.png

From the lack of things to report, is it right to conclude they didnt get to find the Higgs yet?
How much not finding have they pinned down yet - i.e. how much of the possible range from the standard model has been (firmly?) excluded, and how much remains still a possibility?
Thanks for any update.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#382  Postby twistor59 » Feb 14, 2012 7:37 am

Little Idiot wrote:

Since we’re now approaching the time when the preliminary results from December on the search for the Higgs particle at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be presented in final form, possibly with small but important adjustments, and since there will be additional results based on the fall’s data in the next few weeks, it would be good to do a little review of where things stand and where they’re going.

HiggsSearch.png

From the lack of things to report, is it right to conclude they didnt get to find the Higgs yet?
How much not finding have they pinned down yet - i.e. how much of the possible range from the standard model has been (firmly?) excluded, and how much remains still a possibility?
Thanks for any update.

If you have a look at the Brazilian flag graph in this link, you'll get a picture of the latest summary (from the Atlas experiment), there are similar ones for the CMS experiment. Basically if the curves are below the straight line at a given value of MH, then that value of MH is excluded - the standard model Higgs does not have that mass. As far as I know, the "light" standard model Higgs mass range was 100 to 4(?)00 GeV (not sure exactly), so the only remaining part where there's a reasonable chance of finding it is 116-131 Gev (where the bump in the curve exists which pushes it above the straight line). That bump does not yet have enough statistical significance to claim a result - they need a lot more data which they will gather this year, so we'll have an answer by then.

If there's no light SM Higgs, I think there are still some heavier alternative models, but I'm not an expert on Higgs phenomenology so I don't know the details.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#383  Postby newolder » Feb 14, 2012 9:01 am

3-minute discussion video on the 4TeV per beam runs: http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1423359

Tomorrow, ask a CMS worker your questions in a streaming webcast,
Do you have questions about the Higgs boson? Are you surprised by the idea of Supersymmetry? Do you wonder if our Universe is limited to three dimensions of space? Send us your questions in comments below and tell us why you would like to be a part of our Hangout.

from
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#384  Postby Little Idiot » Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

twistor59 wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:

HiggsSearch.png

Thanks for any update.

If you have a look at the Brazilian flag graph in this link, you'll get a picture of the latest summary (from the Atlas experiment), there are similar ones for the CMS experiment. Basically if the curves are below the straight line at a given value of MH, then that value of MH is excluded - the standard model Higgs does not have that mass. As far as I know, the "light" standard model Higgs mass range was 100 to 4(?)00 GeV (not sure exactly), so the only remaining part where there's a reasonable chance of finding it is 116-131 Gev (where the bump in the curve exists which pushes it above the straight line). That bump does not yet have enough statistical significance to claim a result - they need a lot more data which they will gather this year, so we'll have an answer by then.

If there's no light SM Higgs, I think there are still some heavier alternative models, but I'm not an expert on Higgs phenomenology so I don't know the details.

Thanks for the good response :thumbup:
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#385  Postby lpetrich » Feb 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Here are my estimates of the stdevs of the putatively-observed Higgs particle, extrapolated to 3 times the events.
Detector | Peak | Local sig. | Global sig. | Extrap L | Extrap G
ATLAS | 126 GeV | 3.6 sigma | 2.3 sigma | 6.2 sigma | 4.0 sigma
CMS | 124 GeV | 2.6 sigma | 1.9 sigma | 4.5 sigma | 3.3 sigma
Combined | 125 GeV | 4.4 sigma | 3.2 sigma | 7.6 sigma | 5.5 sigma
The "local" one is for a peak in isolation, while the "global" one takes into account the possibility that it could be elsewhere: the "look-elsewhere effect".

From this extrapolation, the LHC teams could have enough data to test a hypothesis about the Higgs particle: its spin. If it has nonzero spin, then its creation will produce an imprint: its spin polarization. That, in turn, will produce an imprint on the decay particles' direction. This combined imprint, along with knowledge of the creation and decay processes, will permit an estimate of its spin. But since it is expected to have zero spin, it will thus have zero imprint.

The obvious source of an imprint for the LHC is the beam directions. So one should compare decay directions to the beam directions to see if there is a difference between parallel to the beam and perpendicular to it.

Using the local stdevs for the peaks, one can divide the data into parallel and perpendicular directional subsets, making the expected heights drop by sqrt(2) (statistical significance ~ sqrt(number)). The combined height should be about 5.4 stdevs, which should be enough to establish the particle's spin, except for possible cancellations at higher spins. Dividing into three directional subsets yields 4.4 stdevs, strong, but not superstrong.

The LHC teams may also be able to compare branching fractions for different decay modes, which will provide tests of hypotheses about the interactions of this particle with other particles.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#386  Postby lpetrich » Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Someone has explored the implications of this putative discovery of the Higgs particle. [1112.3017] Implications of a 125 GeV Higgs scalar for LHC SUSY and neutralino dark matter searches
Howard Baer, Vernon Barger, Azar Mustafayev
(Submitted on 13 Dec 2011)

They analyzed it in two subsets of the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model:

mSUGRA: free parameters m0, m1/2, A0, tan(beta), sign(mu)
and
NUHM2: free parameters m0, m1/2, A0, tan(beta), mu, mA

m0 = mass scale of the spin-0 superpartners of the elementary fermions
m1/2 = mass scale of the spin-1/2 superpartners of the gauge particles
mA = mass scale of the heavy Higgs particles predicted by the MSSM

For both mSUGRA and NUHM2, m0 >~ 0.8 TeV, pushing the squark and slepton masses into the multi-TeV range. Those particles may thus be difficult to make with the LHC.

However, m1/2 is less constrained, meaning that the LHC may be able to make gluinos, neutralinos, and charginos more easily.

Both mSUGRA and NUHM2 tend to produce too much neutralino dark matter, except if the lightest neutralino is higgsino-like, with a mass around 0.8 TeV. However, that would bump the bino, wino, and gluino masses into the TeV range. Especially the gluinos, which are otherwise the easiest for the LHC to make.

Neutralinos = mixtures of the bino, neutral wino, and neutral Higgsinos
Charginos = mixtures of the charged wino and charged Higgsino
The lightest supersymmetric particle is usually expected to be a neutralino.

So this putative discovery may mean that it'll be awfully hard for the LHC to detect supersymmetric particles.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#387  Postby THWOTH » Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm

twistor59 wrote:... so the only remaining part where there's a reasonable chance of finding it is 116-131 Gev

Damn. I had 114 Gev in the office sweep-stake. :doh:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#388  Postby twistor59 » Feb 17, 2012 7:30 am

lpetrich wrote:Someone has explored the implications of this putative discovery of the Higgs particle. [1112.3017] Implications of a 125 GeV Higgs scalar for LHC SUSY and neutralino dark matter searches
Howard Baer, Vernon Barger, Azar Mustafayev
(Submitted on 13 Dec 2011)

They analyzed it in two subsets of the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model:

mSUGRA: free parameters m0, m1/2, A0, tan(beta), sign(mu)
and
NUHM2: free parameters m0, m1/2, A0, tan(beta), mu, mA

m0 = mass scale of the spin-0 superpartners of the elementary fermions
m1/2 = mass scale of the spin-1/2 superpartners of the gauge particles
mA = mass scale of the heavy Higgs particles predicted by the MSSM

For both mSUGRA and NUHM2, m0 >~ 0.8 TeV, pushing the squark and slepton masses into the multi-TeV range. Those particles may thus be difficult to make with the LHC.

However, m1/2 is less constrained, meaning that the LHC may be able to make gluinos, neutralinos, and charginos more easily.

Both mSUGRA and NUHM2 tend to produce too much neutralino dark matter, except if the lightest neutralino is higgsino-like, with a mass around 0.8 TeV. However, that would bump the bino, wino, and gluino masses into the TeV range. Especially the gluinos, which are otherwise the easiest for the LHC to make.

Neutralinos = mixtures of the bino, neutral wino, and neutral Higgsinos
Charginos = mixtures of the charged wino and charged Higgsino
The lightest supersymmetric particle is usually expected to be a neutralino.

So this putative discovery may mean that it'll be awfully hard for the LHC to detect supersymmetric particles.

Are there any non-MSSM models which are taken seriously and which have sparticles which are in LHC range ? I'd wet myself if a supersymmetric partner were to be discovered!
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#389  Postby Weaver » Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Weaver wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
rainbow wrote:
What I want to know is why they couldn't have just studied small hadrons, and saved us all a packet of money.

Small hadrons are harder to find than their larger brethren. They are generally obscured by other material in very rarefied environments and have to be rooted out by the sensitive snouts of specially trained pigs.

:coffee:

And given the environment of super-colliders, we'd need spherical pigs that can survive a vacuum.

Does not compute... :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#390  Postby rainbow » Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Weaver wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Weaver wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
Small hadrons are harder to find than their larger brethren. They are generally obscured by other material in very rarefied environments and have to be rooted out by the sensitive snouts of specially trained pigs.

And given the environment of super-colliders, we'd need spherical pigs that can survive a vacuum.

Similar to the toroidal taurus turd?
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#391  Postby lpetrich » Feb 18, 2012 5:50 am

twistor59 wrote:Are there any non-MSSM models which are taken seriously and which have sparticles which are in LHC range ? I'd wet myself if a supersymmetric partner were to be discovered!

I don't know offhand.

The most-studied departure from the MSSM that I know of is the NMSSM, the Next-To-Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model. It includes a Higgs singlet superparticle that makes a pair of Higgs particles and a Higgsino, all with no Standard-Model gauge interactions. Electrically neutral, no QCD interactions, no weak interactions, only interactions with the other Higgs particles and Higgsinos.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#392  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Feb 18, 2012 6:34 am

Weaver wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Weaver wrote:
THWOTH wrote:

Aha...thanks! :cheers:
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#393  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

I don't fully understand the "3.5 sigma" result they got last year. Does that mean the chance of it being a detection of the higgs is 99%+?

Or does it work some other way? I'm a bit confused as to what the significance is.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#394  Postby THWOTH » Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am

They've been awfully quite since Christmas. Are we going to see 'God Particle' headlines soon or not? :ask:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#395  Postby twistor59 » Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:I don't fully understand the "3.5 sigma" result they got last year. Does that mean the chance of it being a detection of the higgs is 99%+?

Or does it work some other way? I'm a bit confused as to what the significance is.

So am I. I thought it was more like 2sigma after they'd included various factors, such as the "look elsewhere effect". I think when they say they have an n sigma signal, they mean that they have enough data to state with n sigma confidence that what they've seen is a cross section higher than what you'd see if there were no Higgs. But I'm not completely sure.... :lol:

I think there'll be enough data by the end of this year to make a definite (well, 5 sigma) yes/no statement about the presence of the Higgs in the range in which they're looking.
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#396  Postby twistor59 » Mar 15, 2012 8:36 am

From twitter:

CERN ‏ @CERN
First beam of the year circulating in the #LHC just before midnight. Let the 2012 LHC run begin!
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#398  Postby akigr8 » Apr 28, 2012 5:51 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 095621.htm

New Particle Discovered at CERN

ScienceDaily (Apr. 27, 2012) — Physicists from the University of Zurich have discovered a previously unknown particle composed of three quarks in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) particle accelerator. A new baryon could thus be detected for the first time at the LHC. The baryon known as Xi_b^* confirms fundamental assumptions of physics regarding the binding of quarks.
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#399  Postby THWOTH » Apr 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Ooooh! :D

THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#400  Postby akigr8 » Apr 28, 2012 6:19 pm

I will name my first born after this discovery.. little baby Xi_b^* :)

I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics