Large Hadron Collider (LHC) News

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) News

#61  Postby twistor59 » Mar 26, 2010 2:05 pm

newolder wrote:Yes indeed, J Gregory Moxness has his current (2007) incarnation of an E8 ToE here: http://theoryofeverything.org/TOE/JGM/ToE.pdf
This paper will present a new “more natural” reference model for integrating General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) by contrasting it with the development of a reference model based on the more traditional Planck units. The new unit-of-measure (UoM) is based on the non-linear expansion or acceleration of the universe [1]. It provides a testable framework for particle mass prediction in support of the Standard Model (SM) as well as M Theory (MT), Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) and A. Garret Lisi’s recent “An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything (aESToE)” based on an E8 Lie Group Theory [2].

I've never heard of Moxness before, but quickly flipping through his paper, I hear the sound of tinkling warning bells. I may be wrong - haven't time to look in detail - but papers which start out with a lot of dimensional analysis tend to be a little "fringe", and end up doing not much more than fiddling about with numbers.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Rumraket » Mar 26, 2010 2:14 pm

The first attempt at colliding particles at 7 TeV will be webcast from 8:30am 30 March (CEST): http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/

Live webcast: 30 March 2010

Five webcasts will be available here on 30 March, starting from 8:30am (Central European Summer Time - CEST). The main webcast will include live footage from the control rooms for the LHC accelerator and all four LHC experiments and coverage of the press conference after the first collisions are announced. Webcasts will also be available from the control rooms of the four LHC experiments: ALICE, ATLAS, CMS and LHCb. The webcasts will be primarily in English.

A tentative schedule is available, subject to change.

The main webcast will be rebroadcast within CERN in the Main auditorium and the BE auditorium in Prevessin.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#63  Postby newolder » Mar 26, 2010 2:16 pm

@twistor59, The prediction of 'something' he relates to the Higgs at the precise value of 147.98904797 GeV/c2 will sink that effort should it not turn up soon, I guess.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby twistor59 » Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

newolder wrote:Yes indeed, J Gregory Moxness has his current (2007) incarnation of an E8 ToE here: http://theoryofeverything.org/TOE/JGM/ToE.pdf
This paper will present a new “more natural” reference model for integrating General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) by contrasting it with the development of a reference model based on the more traditional Planck units. The new unit-of-measure (UoM) is based on the non-linear expansion or acceleration of the universe [1]. It provides a testable framework for particle mass prediction in support of the Standard Model (SM) as well as M Theory (MT), Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) and A. Garret Lisi’s recent “An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything (aESToE)” based on an E8 Lie Group Theory [2].

I just saw Richard Prins' post on a refutation of Lisi's E8 model
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby newolder » Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Reading the (Distler, Garibaldi) paper now. :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby RichardPrins » Mar 28, 2010 9:54 am

omega tau 30 – The Large Hadron Collider
This episode is a conversation with CERN’s about the Large Hadron Collider. We start out by discussing the science and theory behind the LHC what the LHC aims to research, including the higgs boson, the standard model, super symmetry and extra dimensions. We then talked about how the LHC works (proton source, acceleration, superconducting magnets). We conclude the conversation by looking at the LHC experiments and discussing in some detail how the ATLAS detector works.
RichardPrins

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#67  Postby twistor59 » Mar 30, 2010 6:30 am

Going to 7TeV today.

Goodbye RatSkep friends. Goodbye world.
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Tbickle » Mar 30, 2010 6:32 am

twistor59 wrote:Going to 7TeV today.

Goodbye RatSkep friends. Goodbye world.

It was fun while it lasted. :smoke:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#69  Postby RichardPrins » Mar 30, 2010 6:53 am

Hadron Collider to begin 'world's largest scientific experiment'
The world's largest atom smasher is ready to start a new era of science today, colliding beams of protons to learn more about the makeup of the universe and its smallest particles.

Dubbed the world's largest scientific experiment, the $10 billion Large Hadron Collider holds the promise of revealing details about theoretical particles and microforces, scientists say.

Two beams of protons began 10 days ago to speed at high energy in opposite directions around the 27-kilometer (17-mile) tunnel under the Swiss-French border at Geneva.

The beams have been pushed to 3.5 trillion electron volts, the highest energy achieved by any physics accelerator — some three times greater than the previous record.

The European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, plans to start trying Tuesday morning to use the powerful superconducting magnets to force the two beams to cross, creating collisions and showers of particles. They could be successful immediately, but such huge machines can be so tricky to run that it could take days.

The beams will be packed with hundreds of billions of protons, but the particles are so tiny that few will collide at each crossing.

Steve Myers, CERN's director for accelerators and technology, describes the challenge of lining up the beams as being akin to "firing needles across the Atlantic and getting them to collide half way."

The collisions will come over the objections of some people who fear they could eventually imperil the Earth by creating micro black holes — subatomic versions of collapsed stars whose gravity is so strong they can suck in planets and other stars.

CERN and many scientists dismiss any threat to Earth or people on it, saying that any such holes would be so weak that they would vanish almost instantly without causing any damage.

The collider has been running smoothly since November when it was restarted following extensive repairs. It soon eclipsed the next largest accelerator — the Tevatron at Fermilab near Chicago — pushing its energy to 1.18 trillion electron volts, or TeV. Tevatron operates at 0.98 TeV.

The Large Hadron Collider was launched with great fanfare on Sept. 10, 2008, but it was sidetracked nine days later when a badly soldered electrical splice overheated, causing extensive damage to the massive magnets and other parts of the collider some 300 feet (100 meters) below the ground.

It cost $40 million to repair and improve the machine so that it could be used again at the end of November. Since then the collider has performed almost flawlessly, giving scientists valuable data in the four-week run before Christmas.

The extra energy in Geneva is expected to reveal even more about the unanswered questions of particle physics, such as the existence of antimatter and the search for the Higgs boson, a hypothetical particle that scientists theorize gives mass to other particles and thus to other objects and creatures in the universe.

Scientists hope also to approach on a tiny scale what happened in the first split seconds after the Big Bang, which they theorize was the creation of the universe some 14 billion years ago.

Rolf-Dieter Heuer, the director-general of CERN, has said it is likely to take months before any scientific discoveries are made, partly because computers will have to sort through massive amounts of data produced by the collisions.

Heuer said researchers hope by the end of this year to make discoveries into the dark matter that scientists believe comprises 26 percent of the universe. The better understood visible matter makes up only 4 percent of the universe. (...)
Waiting for collisions at LHC

Update from CERN, where I'm covering the first high energy collisions at the Large Hadron Collider.

After having originally been told to expect first collisions at 7am, then 6am, the schedule has now been delayed for at least two hours after one of the 1,200 plus magnets in the ring "tripped" during the ramp up in energy. As far as the scientists I've spoken to can tell this isn't anything near as serious as the incident, which caused the year-long shut down after a magnet "quenched" in 2008.

The energy is now being slowly ramped back down, before it is ramped back up again over the next few hours. Once this happens, collisions will be attempted in all four experiments - ATLAS, ALICE, CMS and LHCb - simultaneously.

As we were warned by CERN director general Rolf Heuer last week:

“The LHC is not a turnkey machine. The machine is working well, but we’re still very much in a commissioning phase and we have to recognize that the first attempt to collide is precisely that. It may take hours or even days to get collisions.”

I'm currently in the CMS control room, which despite the delay is still buzzing with action. Most of the 40 or so scientists in the room have been here since 4am preparing to receive data from the first collisions. Let's hope they get some data in the next few hours rather than days!
RichardPrins

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#70  Postby tnjrp » Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am

The live video feed from LHC has frozen... :paranoid:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Rumraket » Mar 30, 2010 8:53 am

tnjrp wrote:The live video feed from LHC has frozen... :paranoid:

Works for me, watching it now.
http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/ ... 4526959849

They are expecting beams in about 20 minutes, then ramping to 3,5 TeV for another 50 minutes, then collisions.

Crossing fingers! (And i'm not even superstitious :::)
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#72  Postby Alan C » Mar 30, 2010 8:55 am

:hysterical:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#73  Postby tnjrp » Mar 30, 2010 8:57 am

Rumraket wrote:Works for me
Yep, it's apparently back again. Suppose it was just congested... Or is that what they want me to think? :hypno:

They are expecting beams in about 20 minutes, then ramping to 3,5 TeV for another 50 minutes, then collisions
Ooh!
:popcorn:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#74  Postby twistor59 » Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

Mission accomplished:

# First time in the history!!!!!!!!!!!! World record!!!!!!!! 16 minutes ago via web
# Experiment have seen collisions!!!!!!!!!!! 16 minutes ago via web
# Now stabilizing the beams 18 minutes ago via web
# Collapsed!! 18 minutes ago via web
# Final sequence for collapsing is starting! 20 minutes ago via web
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Very luminous and, hopefully, illuminating times. :popcorn:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Dudely » Mar 30, 2010 1:48 pm

This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#77  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2010 2:46 pm

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby Beelzebub » Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

I was watching it properly! 8-) on LHC Lite - saw the beams form, the energy ramp-up and the detectors come on-line. I loved the comments on the Detector Control screen "Stable Beams!! Collisions!!! Champagne!!!" :grin:
I've been monitoring the tests for a while now, and it was great to finally see everything go 'Green' and the detectors actually registering events!! Great stuff, and a day I won't forget in a while :smile:
Beelzebub

Print view this post

#79  Postby hotshoe » Mar 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Oh, I am so glad.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Nautilidae » Mar 31, 2010 1:44 am

This is a moment to be proud, gentlemen. This is what science is all about; progress.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics