Parts of the CMB shown to pre-date the Big Bang?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Parts of the CMB shown to pre-date the Big Bang?

#1  Postby Bribase » Nov 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Just before I went to sleep I saw this on the ticker of BBC News24 and decided to see if I could find an article on the subject:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-sci ... e-big.html

I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the implication of this? Do you think this brings us truly any closer to the notion of a cyclical universe? I had always thought that a recollapsing universe had been thrown out with the observed effect of dark energy. I'm not so up to date on my physics any more so I'd love it if someone more learned could lend their opinion.

Cheers :cheers:
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

Re: Parts of the CMB shown to pre-date the Big Bang?

#2  Postby byofrcs » Nov 28, 2010 1:41 pm

In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Parts of the CMB shown to pre-date the Big Bang?

#3  Postby twistor59 » Nov 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Bribase wrote:Just before I went to sleep I saw this on the ticker of BBC News24 and decided to see if I could find an article on the subject:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-sci ... e-big.html

I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the implication of this? Do you think this brings us truly any closer to the notion of a cyclical universe? I had always thought that a recollapsing universe had been thrown out with the observed effect of dark energy. I'm not so up to date on my physics any more so I'd love it if someone more learned could lend their opinion.

Cheers :cheers:

This is evidence that's been quoted in support of the hypothesis discussed in this thread.

The idea is that our current expansion phase will indeed not recollapse, but will serve as the seed for a new expansion phase. This is extremely tentative at the moment and far from being universally accepted.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Physics