Penrose about Conformal Cyclic Cosmology - by skydivephil

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Penrose about Conformal Cyclic Cosmology - by skydivephil

#1  Postby Rumraket » Jan 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Re: Penrose about Conformal Cyclic Cosmology - by skydivephil

#2  Postby newolder » Jun 26, 2014 2:25 pm

There's a bit more more about CCC and its testables in this recent Institute of Arts and Ideas "debate" hosted by David Malone and entitled "Bang Goes the Big Bang". John Ellis provides the standard cosmology, Laura Mersini-Houghton brings a stringier model and Roger Penrose talks through CCC and its application to recent data sets... All gr8 fun and showing again what interesting times we inhabit : http://iai.tv/video/bang-goes-the-big-bang
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Well, well, more junk science from Penrose! Does he still think that human consciousness comes from the quantization of space?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Jun 28, 2014 1:36 pm

^
:dunno: ..but claiming/referencing a 10-sigma result to a 5-sigma request (by Ellis) has gotta be noticed, surely? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 29, 2014 12:46 pm

newolder wrote:^
:dunno: ..but claiming/referencing a 10-sigma result to a 5-sigma request (by Ellis) has gotta be noticed, surely? :ask:

Referencing a many-sigma result is one thing, the validity of the argument is another.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby newolder » Jun 30, 2014 7:58 am

Absolutely. A peer-reviewed analysis on Planck data would be gr8 and there were hints in the talk that this shouldn't be far off. :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby newolder » Jan 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Sean Carroll's latest podcast is a discussion with Sir Roger Penrose on his contributions to General Relativity theory, the Conformal Cyclic Cosmology, the effect of gravity on quantum mechanics and a bit of discussion on his/Hammerhof's work on brain matter & other wibbly stuff. The predictions of CCC appear to be holding out and Penrose uses the analysis as a further hammer-blow to Inflationary cosmology (he has a history of showing difficulties with inflation).

MindScape Podcast link.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby newolder » Jul 02, 2019 6:19 pm

A recently posted tube (June 28th) of an interview with Sir Roger about developments in CCC theory including observations of what he calls Hawking Points in the cosmic microwave background. There's a bit of wibble about free will in the middle but, heigh ho. He says that CCC has generated 0 impact (apart from with his co-authors who also report 0 feedback) but it's still early days compared to the evaporation of time of supermassive black holes...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Bit outside my grasp, but isn't this turtles all the way down?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Jul 02, 2019 6:48 pm

A thought just occurred to me! Doesn't 'turtles all the way down' reverse Aristotelian cosmology by putting the terminator at the end of an infinite chain instead of the beginning? Instead of a prime mover we have a prime stopper ( the flat earth on top of the top-most turtle's back).

:o

That's beyond this thread though.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 02, 2019 6:50 pm

In the Beginning was the End, and God said "Stop all this nonsense"! And lo the universe ignored Him.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Jul 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Bit outside my grasp, but isn't this turtles all the way down?

There is no bar to an infinite number of aeons past and no halt is apparent ahead. It is a model of turtles = aeons all the way down and up, as opposed to creation ex nihilo. :thumbup:

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby newolder » Jul 26, 2019 10:26 am

Another 1/2 hour-ish presentation, published to the tubes on 24th July. It's aimed at the general public so not overly technical but includes most of the previous ideas and tests along with a newer one that describes features on the CMB from black hole evaporation in the previous aeon that, if inflation is true, should not be there as they should have been inflated away to leave no signal.

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby newolder » Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Another 6.5 minute youtube by the titular guy, skydivephil, and published/posted yesterday:

The Big Bang's new meaning, with Hawking, Penrose and other leading cosmologists

Stephen Hawking, Sir Roger Penrose, Alan Guth and other leading cosmologists explain how and why the phrase "Big Bang" has changed its meaning in our new film. Spoiler: most don't think it was the beginning of time anymore...

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby aban57 » Aug 24, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm sorry to barge in this very interesting discussion, but I can't watch the videos at the moment, but the discussion got me curious about something I read a few months ago. It said that a black hole could be the "creator" of our singularity. Is it what this is about ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16  Postby newolder » Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

In a word, no. I seem to remember Lee Smolin, in the not too distant past, expounding some wibbly arguments about black holes spawning "other" universes but I didn't pay too much attention, sorry.

In this, Penrose CCC, model all the black holes in a given aeon eventually evaporate and go 'pop' at the end of the evaporation. Some black holes merge and emit gravitational radiation that leaves their mark a signal on the "big bang" phase at the beginning of the subsequent aeon. This, he claims, is observed as concentric circles embedded in the CMBR and observed in the WMAP & the Planck telescope data to high statistical significance (claimed as 10-sigma, iirc) by his Polish colleagues.
Last edited by newolder on Aug 24, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby aban57 » Aug 24, 2019 6:22 pm

I'll look into it once I get out.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm

aban57 wrote:I'll look into it once I get out.

There's a wiki page if you want to read all abaht it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal ... _cosmology

Reference 3 at that page links to the circles in the CMBR study too.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby aban57 » Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby newolder » Sep 09, 2019 10:51 am

Another tube from skydivephil showing rebuttals of points raised by William Lane Graig. Has me shrugging throughout but might clear up some of the ideas for others. :dunno:

newolder

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Physics