Photon propagation in a medium

How ?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Re: Photon propagation in a medium

#21  Postby cavarka9 » Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm

this made me think that because not all light is absorbed, we can hence see through things by x-rays and in the same way there might be other wavelenghts of light by which we can see through opaque objects. Then I remembered something like this has been achieved last year or so.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132052.htm
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... glass.html
http://physics.aps.org/articles/v3/22
http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.5436
http://physics.aps.org/featured-article ... 104.100601
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.
Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby twistor59 » Nov 29, 2011 7:39 am

zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
But, if you read the paragraph carefully:

You could then, in principle, compute a modified propagator - an amplitude for propagation through glass. In this propagator, the photon would have a mass. It would be off-shell.

Are we talking about the same paper, the Zhang paper at http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/110 ... 5783v3.pdf , ???

If we are, I can't find that sentence, "In this propagator, the photon would have a mass." Could you direct me to the page and paragraph? ( I did a search with MS-word, and that sentence is not in that paper.)

No, I'm talking about the paragraph that I wrote. I didn't copy it from a paper. I thought it up all by myself.

zaybu wrote:
As that paper maintains, off-shell is from the controversy that p = ℏk/n (Abraham) OR p = n ℏk (Minkowski). It has nothing to do with the speed of a photon, it doesn't slow down, or its mass, it doesn't acquire any mass.

twistor59 wrote:

small in magnitude for opaque media
large in magnitude for transparent media
have a phase behaviour which is the same as you'd get by giving the photon a mass whilst it was in the medium

Never heard of such explanation and I don't think it's right. It's just based on your Feynman's speculation.

FIFY
Feel your body melt Mum to mud to mad to dad
Dad diddley office Dad diddley office.....you're all full of ball
Dad to dam to dum to mum
Mum diddley washing Mum diddley washing.....you're all full of ball
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby zaybu » Nov 29, 2011 1:30 pm

twistor59 wrote:
zaybu wrote:

Never heard of such explanation and I don't think it's right. It's just based on your Feynman's speculation.

FIFY

Feynman would not be proud.
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby twistor59 » Nov 30, 2011 8:26 am

zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
zaybu wrote:

FIFY

Well, Feynman was a fairly modest person, but I'm sure he would feel just a little bit proud, secretly, that he could now use his models of elementary processes to explain macroscopic phenomena such as refraction.
Dad to dam to dum to mum
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby zaybu » Nov 30, 2011 3:01 pm

twistor59 wrote:
zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

FIFY

Well, Feynman was a fairly modest person, but I'm sure he would feel just a little bit proud, secretly, that he could now use his models of elementary processes to explain macroscopic phenomena such as refraction.

Of course, he would, as the Zhang paper is one of many examples. However, he would not be proud of your speculation. (Photon slowing down, acquiring mass, :yuk: :confused: :ill: :scratch: :shifty: :shock: :facepalm: :banghead: :dizzy: :sick: :wall: )
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby twistor59 » Dec 01, 2011 8:17 am

zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
zaybu wrote:

Of course, he would, as the Zhang paper is one of many examples. However, he would not be proud of your speculation. (Photon slowing down, acquiring mass, :yuk: :confused: :ill: :scratch: :shifty: :shock: :facepalm: :banghead: :dizzy: :sick: :wall: )

You seem to be having difficulty understanding the terminology and concepts. I'll repeat my entire paragraph just so that the correct context remains:

It is an effective propagator designed to compute the amplitude PhotonIntoMedium -> PhotonOutOfMedium

As strict Copenhagenists, the nature and behaviour of the photon while in the medium, we can't determine, all we can do is add up all the possibilities according to the rules. This will result in a propagation amplitude which will be:

have a phase behaviour which is the same as you'd get by giving the photon a mass whilst it was in the medium

Do you not understand the highlighted phrases ?
Dad to dam to dum to mum
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby zaybu » Dec 01, 2011 11:29 pm

twistor59 wrote:
zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

You seem to be having difficulty understanding the terminology and concepts. I'll repeat my entire paragraph just so that the correct context remains:

It is an effective propagator designed to compute the amplitude PhotonIntoMedium -> PhotonOutOfMedium

As strict Copenhagenists, the nature and behaviour of the photon while in the medium, we can't determine, all we can do is add up all the possibilities according to the rules. This will result in a propagation amplitude which will be:

Yes, and in no way does it support your claim.

BTW, your article in the physicsforum says,

On the other hand, if a photon has an energy beyond the phonon spectrum, then while it can still cause a disturbance of the lattice ions, the solid cannot sustain this vibration, because the phonon mode isn't available. This is similar to trying to oscillate something at a different frequency than the resonance frequency. So the lattice does not absorb this photon and it is re-emitted but with a very slight delay. This, naively, is the origin of the apparent slowdown of the light speed in the material. The emitted photon may encounter other lattice ions as it makes its way through the material and this accumulate the delay.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby twistor59 » Dec 02, 2011 8:11 am

zaybu wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

Yes, and in no way does it support your claim.

I'm just not understanding what you're not getting.
Could you state, in your own words, what you think it is that I'm claiming ?
Dad to dam to dum to mum
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby newolder » Dec 05, 2011 12:28 pm

iz this revelant? :ask: control electron flow (current) wif polarized photons... if not, itz still neat. :thumbup:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics