Planck analysis closes universe

More data required to confirm findings

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Planck analysis closes universe

#21  Postby hackenslash » Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

newolder wrote:Indeed it is, and without ruling out an extra, large dimension to space the Steinhardt & Turok double Klein bottle comes into play too...

I was mulling that as I hit post.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am

Spearthrower wrote:
hackenslash wrote:A 4-torus is also a potential solution.

Only if the ineffable is trying to fuck with us!

Physics classes in 20 years: Ok, so over the course of the next 3 years, we're all going to try and wrap our heads around a 4 dimensional torus. Yes, that's all we'll be doing. :lol:

No pun intended.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 07, 2019 11:40 pm

hackenslash wrote:Well worth noting - as newolder alluded to - that positive curvature measured locally doesn't rule out the possibility that space is flat or even open on larger scales.

Totally. I was more curious about the estimated size extrapolated from the measured curvature in the featured article.

Also, a 3-sphere isn't the only closed solution available. A 4-torus is also a potential solution.

The Homer model?

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby newolder » Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Just to note that I have finally tracked down the arxiv link for the work in the O.P. phew! Perhaps the radius of curvature question up-topic may now be answered?*

https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.02087

* ETA The paper has that the radius of curvature is given by Rc = (c/H0) |Ωk|-0.5

Its estimate for Ωk is -0.0438 (with error supplied) and their revised estimate for H0 is 54.4 km/s/Mpc

Substitution gives Rc = 26.4 Gpc or about 86 billion light years.

But do check my sums...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Macdoc » Nov 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Just watched Einstein and Eddington movie again....really enjoyed it and seeing Max Planck and Einstein interacting in the movie was a crazy time shift pardon the pun.

Einstein really needs a mini-series along the same lines as the movie but with enough time to tell the various wonderful and sometimes heartbreaking stories surrounding Einstein and the luminaries around him.
Tenant was an excellent choice of for Eddington as was the Einstein casting.

Reminder of how far we've come from the comfort of an orderly Newtonian universe.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 11, 2019 8:02 pm

newolder wrote:Substitution gives Rc = 26.4 Gpc or about 86 billion light years.

But do check my sums...

From what I understand a lower limit for no detectable curvature would be around 90 billion light years. Is that correct? If so this sounds about right.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby hackenslash » Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Unless I missed something, that would be the lower limit for a direct measurement, while this is giving the radius, meaning that the result would have to be multiplied by 2π.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics