Quantum Cosmology Paper

No singularity ...

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Quantum Cosmology Paper

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 12, 2016 6:13 am

This paper has just arrived in my collection:

Cosmology From Quantum Potential by Ahmed Farag Ali & Saurya Das, Physics Letters B, 741: 276-279 (6th January 2015) [Full paper downloadable from here]

Ali & Das, 2015 wrote:Abstract

It was shown recently that replacing classical geodesics with quantal (Bohmian) trajectories gives rise to a quantum corrected Raychaudhuri equation (QRE). In this article we derive the second order Friedmann equations from the QRE, and show that this also contains a couple of quantum correction terms, the first of which can be interpreted as cosmological constant (and gives a correct estimate of its observed value), while the second as a radiation term in the early universe, which gets rid of the big-bang singularity and predicts an infinite age of our universe.

Paper can also be read in full online at the journal here.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Quantum Cosmology Paper

#2  Postby chairman bill » Mar 12, 2016 7:45 am

Bugger. That means I'll be dead for more than 13.5 billion years. In fact, I'll be dead forever. :-(

Thanks for ruining my day.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 14, 2016 12:34 pm

chairman bill wrote:Bugger. That means I'll be dead for more than 13.5 billion years. In fact, I'll be dead forever. :-(

Thanks for ruining my day.

No change there, then!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 14, 2016 12:43 pm

The idea that the universe is a stand-alone object (created by a huge quantum fluctuation), rather than the result of a massive object in a greater universe could be the real problem. Ie, the article is addressing the wrong question. See my cosmology, in the LQG thread, PP6-7.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jamest » Mar 17, 2016 12:40 am

DavidMcC wrote:The idea that the universe is a stand-alone object (created by a huge quantum fluctuation), rather than the result of a massive object in a greater universe could be the real problem. Ie, the article is addressing the wrong question. See my cosmology, in the LQG thread, PP6-7.

The same set of How/When questions applied to our universe would merely be exported to this bigger universe, so the issues remain the same.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 17, 2016 12:33 pm

jamest wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The idea that the universe is a stand-alone object (created by a huge quantum fluctuation), rather than the result of a massive object in a greater universe could be the real problem. Ie, the article is addressing the wrong question. See my cosmology, in the LQG thread, PP6-7.

The same set of How/When questions applied to our universe would merely be exported to this bigger universe, so the issues remain the same.

Yes and no. You are right in the sense that I have moved one of the main problems back a stage, and that is why I proposed that the bigger universe was created by "the law of quantum gravity, acting on the hyperspace continuum". As such, it is an atheist alternative to god. Also, various other problems with the one-off universe are solved, such as the asymmetries of the laws of physics in this universe, and the existence of life, as a highly improbable thing in a one-off universe.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Mar 17, 2016 1:48 pm

:popcorn:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am

DavidMcC wrote:
jamest wrote:

Yes and no. You are right in the sense that I have moved one of the main problems back a stage, and that is why I proposed that the bigger universe was created by "the law of quantum gravity, acting on the hyperspace continuum". As such, it is an atheist alternative to god. Also, various other problems with the one-off universe are solved, such as the asymmetries of the laws of physics in this universe, and the existence of life, as a highly improbable thing in a one-off universe.

Where did you propose this? I missed it. Please provide a link.

Actually, you've already mentioned where you've stated this, but a direct link would be useful.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 18, 2016 1:25 pm

jamest wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
jamest wrote:

Where did you propose this? I missed it. Please provide a link.

Actually, you've already mentioned where you've stated this, but a direct link would be useful.

This:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/physics/loop-quantum-gravity-t9397-100.html#p1211883
More here:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/physics/loop-quantum-gravity-t9397-120.html#p1213199
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Physics