Susskind's Lectures on Physics

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Susskind's Lectures on Physics

#1  Postby ashley » Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Leonard Susskind has been giving lectures on theoretical physics for people who aren't students for a few years, and Stanford University puts them up on Youtube and iTunes. Apparently he's going to go all the way to string theory. They don't assume much beyond a decent high school maths and physics education, but obviously the more you know the easier you will find them.

Lots of people seem to be interested in physics but they get hooked on reading popular accounts that I think provide a very superficial picture and usually leave them with all kinds of misconceptions. I get the impression that many convince themselves that proper treatments are "not for them" and that it would take them too long to learn it properly. These lectures are one of the best attempts I've seen to provide a real stepping stone for people. It is all done properly with maths, but there is a friendly atmosphere and the aim is clearly to get an understanding of the concepts and not worry about how to solve problems, as lectures for students would. Enthusiatic amateurs should give them a chance. Maybe set aside a few hours a week? I'm listing them here in the order that I think makes most sense to watch them in and not in the order in which he gave them. There's well over 100 hours in total so far.

Classical Mechanics

Youtube
Podcast feed

"Quantum Entanglements Part 3"

This is obviously a mistake by the people who uploaded the videos. They should be titled something like "Relativity" and have nothing to do with quantum theory. Also be aware that they are incorrectly numbered. The one labelled "lectures 2 & 3" should be watched between 7 and 8, and not between 1 and 4.

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Special Relativity

A better title would have been something like "Relativistic Field Theory"

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Einstein's Theory

Yes, Einstein had several theories. The one being referred to here is general relativity.

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Cosmology

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Quantum Entanglements

This is called "Part 1" but there are no other parts except the incorrectly titled "Part 3" referred to above that has nothing to do with it.

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Quantum Mechanics

Youtube
Podcast Feed

Statistical Mechanics

Youtube
Podcast Feed

The Standard Model

As of time of writing they are still putting these up.

Podcast feed

I will try and remember to update this thread as more become available.
ashley

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Susskind's Lectures on Physics

#2  Postby my_wan » Feb 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Nice. Leonard Susskind is one of my favorite and a very brilliant theoretical physicist. I agree about the popular accounts. They can often do more harm than good. I see way too often people coming out with the impression that some meta-theory is the theory itself.
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Physics